And the point was??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

And the point was???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The point:

1. No way of knowing that USC would have actually have done a home and home to play in Syracuse. I have no reason to think they would. There were benefits to them (Jersey recruiting, exposure to NY media market, ability to get east coast alum and fans in the building) to playing in the Meadowlands instead.

2. Reaching out to Syracuse alum in NYC area. Maybe some who don't come to games at the Carrier Dome, and need to be reminded that college football is fun, so they go to games in the Dome and contribute to the athletics funds.

3. More attention in NY media market generally from local NYC media by playing there.

I don't understand the post. You don't want UConn to do it -- that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But to pretend there are not good reasons to play in big city, neutral site, NFL stadiums when more and more teams are doing it just seems silly. If more and more schools are doing it, then there are reasons for it.

With few exceptions, big time college football is meant to be played on campus. Get alums and fans back to their roots. Make the games accessibe to the student population (build new fans). With few exceptions, that's how it's done. Bad enough Rentscler is not on campus, but an out of state home game that is not "the national game of the week". Little to the gained. And the NYC market, those fans are more concerned with the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers et al. Northeast cities for the most part are "Pro Team Towns". Syracuse was fooling itself or more likely catering to the "Brotherhood of the Communications School", those folks who dominate the broadcast booths.

Reaction Score
If it only drew 39,000, my guess is that the principals involved would not label the experiment a "success." But just because something doesn't work does not mean it was a bad idea or not worth trying.

We better all suscribe to that ideal. Sounds like the gameplan of the UConn offense for the last couple of seasons.

Reaction Score
A few benefits from their performance:

The NY Post doing a dedicated article on them announcing that the cuse is back. Ditto dedicated stories in both the Daily News and the Times talking how they are moving in the right direction. All NYC papers. Andrea Adelson (take it with a grain of salt) calling them the best 0-2 team. I know it burned my Rutgers buddy in NJ's ass that they were getting the attention.

So, exposure was pretty good.

As someone that lives in NJ and spends most of his free time listening to sports radio and watching college football coverage I can tell you there was very little buzz about this game. I only know a couple people that even went, and they had gotten cheap tickets. USC is not an automatic draw in north Jersey. if they were playing PennState (before this year anyway), Notre Dame, or even an SEC team, there would have been more interest. Cuse is probably a slightly larger draw in the area, but not enough to fill up an 80k stadium

Reaction Score
If you can recall the telecast, they kept the tv shots low and the upper deck was washed out in grey.

Definitely looked like the upper sections were completely vacant.
Couldn't tell if my color on the set was off, but the 'orange' looked a lot more 'reddish maroon' as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom