And the Celtics go kaboom... | The Boneyard

And the Celtics go kaboom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Celtics as we knew them are soon to be the Nets. Going to be odd having Jason Kidd coaching his contemporaries. Not sure how that dynamic is going to work. But now the door is open for the Avery Bradley era to begin. The C's did about as well as can be expected - four first round picks (including the one for Doc), and the Nets picks in 2016 and 2018, when they could stink, are unprotected.

Would Ray have gotten Terry's spot on this life raft? Or would he have been forced to retire or play out this contract with Rondo and Wallace? We'll never know - since he was wise enough to take his own life raft when he had a chance. After seeing Milwaukee get blown up, and Seattle get blown up twice, his wisdom was impeccable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not sure what thread this belongs in but Bill Simmons might have a terrible TV voice but he doesn't back down. He called Doc Rivers out and was great TV.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Greatest collection of dreck acquired in one trade

Reaction Score
They have to get 1 of the studs next year.

And they should have cap room too

Now they need a coach

It's a surprsingly great trade. Actually gives the C's the chance at a future.

Reaction Score
I don't see why anyone would have an issue with Doc leaving, why pay a coach $7M when the team is going nowhere? And Doc's son Jeremiah pretty much nailed it, Simmons trashed Doc the entire time the Cs were garbage and wanted him out, then when they get the Big 3 and start winning he can't praise Doc enough. Simmons was anything but great TV last night, he couldn't shut up, he was the guy at the bar with a comment for everything that you're hoping would decide he's had enough drinks for the night and just go home.

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone who knows anything about basketball could see this as a bad trade for the celtics. The team was going no where anyway and instead of having pierce and KG retire in a couple of years and getting nothing out of it they get potentially 4 first round picks. Besides, the worst thing you can be in the NBA is an average team.....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They have to get 1 of the studs next year.

And they should have cap room too

Now they need a coach

Hopefully, this doesn't turn into the Tim Duncan sweepstakes again. That killed the franchise for another 5-10 years.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't see why anyone would have an issue with Doc leaving, why pay a coach $7M when the team is going nowhere? And Doc's son Jeremiah pretty much nailed it, Simmons trashed Doc the entire time the Cs were garbage and wanted him out, then when they get the Big 3 and start winning he can't praise Doc enough. Simmons was anything but great TV last night, he couldn't shut up, he was the guy at the bar with a comment for everything that you're hoping would decide he's had enough drinks for the night and just go home.

That is Simmons in a nutshell. That's his shtick. His stuff is tired at this stage anyway. Can't make it through one of his articles anymore (unless it's on a particularly pressing subject).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone who knows anything about basketball could see this as a bad trade for the celtics. The team was going no where anyway and instead of having pierce and KG retire in a couple of years and getting nothing out of it they get potentially 4 first round picks. Besides, the worst thing you can be in the NBA is an average team.....

Marshon Brooks ain't bad either. They've got control of him on his rookie deal for 3 more years too.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
A few thoughts as a Celtics fan.

1) Simmons is kinda right, but I don't blame Doc. The team was going nowhere. Danny wanted to blow it up. Doc saw the writing on the wall and indicated to Ainge that it wouldn't be the worst thing to end the relationship. Doc was a good coach and I wish him luck.

2) I don't love -- or even like -- this trade for the Celtics, but I don't hate it either. Sure, winning 15 games next year is going to suck. But like I said, even with PP and KG, this team wasn't going anywhere next season. Might as well get SOMETHING for them. As far as what the Celtics got, it's 3 picks (and a potential 4th, which won't come to Boston) and some flotsam and jetsam. The 3 picks are unprotected, but they're unlikely to be good ones. Wallace's contract stinks, but it's not like the Celtics need cap room over the next 2 seasons. It's going to be acquiring young talent through the draft, trades and signings. We ain't going to be handing out max contracts.

3) You can say, oh, the Celtics could have done better, but remember that KG has a no-trade clause. He wasn't going to waive it for any team. This is a good opportunity for him (playing with Pierce, and for a good team), so he's doing it. But Ainge was constrained from getting the best offer on paper.

EDIT: After giving it some further thought, I suppose the 2016 and (especially) 2018 picks could be good ones. Together with the Rivers trade, this will give the C's 2 first-round picks in 4 of the next 5 drafts. Pretty good. And of course their own pick will be very high next year since they are going to be absolutely horrendous. So, I guess I'm moving from "neutral" to "like."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A few thoughts as a Celtics fan.
2) I don't love -- or even like -- this trade for the Celtics, but I don't hate it either. Sure, winning 15 games next year is going to suck. But like I said, even with PP and KG, this team wasn't going anywhere next season. Might as well get SOMETHING for them. As far as what the Celtics got, it's 3 picks (and a potential 4th, which won't come to Boston) and some flotsam and jetsam. The 3 picks are unprotected, but they're unlikely to be good ones. Wallace's contract stinks, but it's not like the Celtics need cap room over the next 2 seasons. It's going to be acquiring young talent through the draft, trades and signings. We ain't going to be handing out max contracts.

3) You can say, oh, the Celtics could have done better, but remember that KG has a no-trade clause. He wasn't going to waive it for any team. This is a good opportunity for him (playing with Pierce, and for a good team), so he's doing it. But Ainge was constrained from getting the best offer on paper.

EDIT: After giving it some further thought, I suppose the 2016 and (especially) 2018 picks could be good ones. Together with the Rivers trade, this will give the C's 2 first-round picks in 4 of the next 5 drafts. Pretty good. And of course their own pick will be very high next year since they are going to be absolutely horrendous. So, I guess I'm moving from "neutral" to "like."

Nomar, reading your analysis from points 2 and 3, it really is hard not to like this trade. You kinda proved the point. The 2014 pick could be very strong too. This draft will be pretty deep, and Ainge has shown a definite talent for picking up quality late round guys. Also, you consider Marshon Brooks "flotsam and jetsam"? He's not that bad, and has potential to be a decent role player.

I think this is a better deal than they would have gotten from the Clippers, as that could have led to the dreaded "average NBA team". They weren't getting Bledsoe. That deal probably wasn't going to be approved anyway, given the Doc complications.

On another note, I personally would hold on to Rondo, despite what others may think. The only question is, will he stay. It can wear on a guy to go throught the rebuilding process, even if there is light ahead in the tunnel. Pierce did it, to his great credit, and was rewarded with a championship and Celtics royalty. But I'm not sure about Rondo; he is a strange bird.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Celtics just signed Phil Pressey. All hope is lost.

Reaction Score
The C's did the right thing and the nets's window is 2 years at best. If all can stay healthy, they have a chance to come out of the East. Who will get Rondo? The C's look good for a 2 yr comeback and the Nets window shuts down in 2 years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Celtics just signed Phil Pressey. All hope is lost.

The Celtics are going to be the real-life, basketball version of the Indians from "Major League." (It's only a matter of time before we sign a guy out of the California Penal League.) Except we ain't winning the Eastern Conference...

Intlzncstr, yeah, I'm not a huge Brooks guy. He's OK. I liked him when he came out of college -- I wanted the C's to draft him (and they did, for the Nets) -- but I don't think he's made a lot of progress and his upside is a volume bench scorer. I'm fine taking him but he's not a valuable asset, IMO. He needs a 3-point shot.

Not sure what to do with Rondo. I think Ainge isn't sure either. There's really no reason to trade him while he's injured.

Reaction Score
Have guys watched brooks besides this year? He really has a trememdous skill, some call him kobe lite. Gobs of potential. At Least more than Reggie Evans

Reaction Score
Big winner in this...Ray Allen. Man did he avoid a total dumpster fire by getting out when he did. Who knows where he would have ended up.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Are they able to even though they weren't the team to give him the contract? If so I don't see why they wouldn't.

I don't think you can amnesty a traded-for player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom