And the Beat-Down Goes On: UConn vs the SEC and ACC Lately | The Boneyard

And the Beat-Down Goes On: UConn vs the SEC and ACC Lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
With the AAC now projected in Bracketology to have three teams in the Tournament behind UConn, USF and Tulane, the SEC and ACC fans who stop by to sell their wares are naturally starting to get a little worried. Is a new BEast starting to awake as they learn the paces from UConn? Of course the resident AAC hater(s) is throwing out the "pathetic" adjectives for the AAC never mind that a short while ago he was fulminating about how only UConn was the only top 100 team in the conference.

And sure, UConn has beat the AAC teams pretty well this year, but the Huskies have lost only 12 times of the last 7 years, and in 8 cases it was to conference Big East opponents (ND, St. Johns), twice to a B12 team (Baylor), and twice to a PAC team (Stanford). So the question is, since in those years the Huskies have never lost to an SEC or ACC team and have usually played just the top teams in those conference, what have been the results?

Warning: If you are an SEC or ACC fan you may wish to kind of just squint at the information below because it will be deeply disturbing and may make you wish to redefine the meaning of "wretched."

SEC: The SEC teams have not been at all eager to play UConn and generally don't, with good reason. 5 regular season games have been played and 5 times there have been Tourney meetings. Outcome: UConn is 10-0 and the average margin of victory has been a vicious 80.8 - 52.4. No meetings with UTenn of course because of "Maya's grandmother."

ACC: The top ACC teams at least have the basketballs to play UConn, but the results have resembled the Freddy Krueger movies, way beyond pathetic to revolting. Outcome: 24-0 with an average margin of 80.8-52.4 against the curdled cream of the ACC.

So when the resident BY basher of the AAC and the fans of the ACC and SEC conferences start throwing out the usual tripe about how good their conferences are, maybe a good question would be, "And how have your teams done against UConn lately?" If you hear some screaming going on from SEC-ACC Street, you know that Freddy has struck again.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
jack-nicholson.gif
Ouch, that is some pay back, CLE. I am not sleeping well tonight and definitely keeping a knife ready under my pillow. And yes, I'm a Lakers fan.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
No one quarrels that UCONN is the best program in WCBB, but the AAC overall is a conference of mostly directional schools that really don't fit with you guys. Maybe UCONN could join the SEC. I'd like some football road trips that aren't to Hooterville.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is true that UConn is a state school, but not really sure that the SEC teams are in the same profile as UConn even if there was the faintest breath of a chance for the Huskies to end up there. Of course UConn did play one bowl game against USCar some years back, but somehow I just can't picture the Huskies playing Bama on the gridiron.

But as noted, I'm happy to see the AAC rising up some form the morass of deeply sunk expectations and definitely get a chuckle out of seeing the BY's resident RPI worshipping AAC doomsayer keep having to push back his goal posts for decreeing "pathetic" play.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Informative post! Just one question:

SEC: UConn is 10-0 and the average margin of victory has been a vicious 80.8 - 52.4.

ACC: an average margin of 80.8-52.4 against the curdled cream of the ACC.

Was the average score exactly the same against foes in each conference? :p

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Oops, actually it was the same and then I saw that I'd missed a game for the SEC and forgot to change it. They're actually at 80.2 - 53.9, as Texas A&M did play UConn fairly close (within 15 points) in the Tourney last year. So the SEC is slightly better in their far fewer games.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Oops, actually it was the same and then I saw that I'd missed a game for the SEC and forgot to change it. They're actually at 80.2 - 53.9, as Texas A&M did play UConn fairly close (within 15 points) in the Tourney last year. So the SEC is slightly better in their far fewer games.

Interesting that it's that close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox