And Some Of You Actually Complained About Van Gundy? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

And Some Of You Actually Complained About Van Gundy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She's a major reason I don't watch the Geno Show. With a decent interviewer, you'd get twice as much information out of him.
A few years back, ESPNU? or one of the other similar stations ran a whole bunch of coaches shows. Saw Pat, Muffett, Jolette Law, and others I don't remember, and TRUST ME - the shows are scripted and the information being released is planned in advance. It IS the "Geno" show.

Maryland's show was different in that it seemed more like a documentary following the team than a coaches show. That said, it wasn't. It was just another way of doing it. It didn't do anything to improve my chance of liking Maryland or Brenda, however.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not NBA fans, you mean. He should stay in the area he knows a little about. H knows nothing about WCBB!

I didn't know WBB was a different game. He picked right up on how smart and fundamentally sound Faris was. What made him good is that he gave example of what he meant. He commented about the game he watching. But he didn't have much of the normal drivel that most WCBB announcers offer. I guess you like that stuff.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't know WBB was a different game. He picked right up on how smart and fundamentally sound Faris was. What made him good is that he gave example of what he meant. He commented about the game he watching. But he didn't have much of the normal drivel that most WCBB announcers offer. I guess you like that stuff.
JVG stated that he watches a lot of WCBB and women's basketball because his daughter in high school plays. I thought he was very familiar with the game.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Many viewers are clearly tired of listening to Bob and Meghan after all these years, all these games, all these hours. It's an enormous challenge for any commentators to try to hold an audience's attention for a couple hours at a time, about twenty times each season (especially when many events are blowouts).

I do appreciate the occasional juicy tidbit we get from Meghan (e.g., speaking of Kiah Stokes during the last game: "She just has to learn to bring a consistent effort every single night."), which surely has come to her via Geno. I wish she would use the teleprompter for post-play analysis more because she generally does that well. And I can shrug off Bob's occasional and unfortunate mis-naming of players -- and I certainly don't want to play "GOTCHA!" through every game.

I continue to be impressed by the quality of Kara Lawson's analysis, but she is NOT going to show up on CPTV, so I guess I will just muddle along with Bob and Meghan, make my annual pledge or two, and stay grateful that I can view every single game. There is some contentment in having limited (realistic?) expectations.

My bonus is reading the thrust and parry of sharp guys like Tomcat and Meyers and others like them, who enlighten me by their keen insights, expressed with conviction and clarity.

And I always remember to be careful what I wish for. As the Irish say, "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."

Reaction Score
The improvement in the broadcasts when Eric Frede works with Meghan, including Meghan less chatiness with Eric and better focus on the game, the value of improved play by play call with Eric identifying all subs in and out and regularly noting who is now on the court, never misses a foul call for a story. Bob can improve his call by getting players names and nicknames right. Ask Meghan to focus more on the offenses and defenses being used. Limit stories to breaks. All those things and more are constructive criticism. Unlike cheap shots about communion wine.
Ice, I agree with all you put forth here but I would like to indulge in some whine with a positive bouquet. It is true that listening to B&M can be frustrating and for some reason (tape delay?) the radio is usually out of synch by several seconds to the video. However, when I watch the games at home I usually have several friends around, a situation which allows me, for a very short and illusory time in my life, to project to others that I have some vision of what they are viewing that is clearer than the announcers. "Look, Kiah in in already, Steph is out!"; "Wow, Bria got away with a travel there"; "Oh no, Kelly's got 3 fouls already"; or, "Heather really hit the floor hard...". So there is a positive side for me. When Eric is there I don't seem to have the same opportunity.
In regards to the Geno show, I regard it for what I see it as: A fun moment with Geno. I'm sure that the questions are screened by him beforehand so Megan should not be held accountable for their content. I also feel that she is much more interesting when she works with Eric.

Reaction Score
My only gripe about van Gundy was when he put in his political two cents worth about the top teams should have to play each other a couple of times a year. I guess ESPN pays him to say stuff like that. Anyway, other than that topic, which, if he got his wish IMHO, the game's fundamentals would be changed forever, I liked his commentary.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize my one line post would get so many replies! Although I don't particularly like BP and MC on the air, if 75% of the men's games were announced by the same announcing duo, we'd probably have complaints about that crew also.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Not NBA fans, you mean. He should stay in the area he knows a little about. H knows nothing about WCBB!

Well that was the fun part. Hearing a different perspective about women's basketball from a former NBA coach. Was it that difficult to listen to?

Reaction Score
Agree with others... Meghan's laugh is annoying during game coverage and on the Geno show. It is not childish nor churlish to have it grate, IMHO. But that's Meghan and we can love her for other traits.

Reaction Score
Agree on Frede. My complaint is meghan's heavy laughter. It's about time one of the producers told her to stop. How I wish that Kara was available. Constant laughter during a telecast is extremely unprofessional.

Reaction Score
If those of us who do not agree about this constant whining, will that make it stop?

Reaction Score
If those of us who do not agree about this constant whining, will that make it stop?
There has t0 be a predicate in that sentence somewhere, Phil, but I'll be damned if I can find it. CPTV is covering the Fairfield game, no? Further critique of the coverage to come. I promise.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There has t0 be a predicate in that sentence somewhere, Phil, but I'll be damned if I can find it. CPTV is covering the Fairfield game, no? Further critique of the coverage to come. I promise.
I can hardly wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline