And so it begins: USA Today says the St. Francis blowout is bad for the sport | Page 5 | The Boneyard

And so it begins: USA Today says the St. Francis blowout is bad for the sport

Reaction Score
I, for one, am tired of hearing about these stories by these so-called sports writers who know basketball so well. Yet they crap all over WCBB and UCONN. Anyone who really knows the game of basketball know that the UCONN's women's team plays it like it is supposed to be played. The 1st half of the St Francis' game was poetry. They should be writing about that! How well UCONN plays team defense, their passing, and efficiency all over the court. Maybe just maybe we can lead basketball to be playing the right way instead of all this garbage you see in the men's game.

I love watching MCBB and the NBA but can only tolerate high profile games and even those are a stretch. My point is TRUE basketball fans appreciate basketball on all playing levels as long as it is played the right way. These sports writers are idiots.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn has won 6 of last 9 titles
2009,2010,2013,2014,2015,2016. Lost 2011,2012 and 2017.
Soon 7 of 10 and VERY good for them. It’s how uncompetitive the seasons and championship games are. Have any of the 2009-2016 championship games been less than 15 point margins? Most are 29 or more. In a title game. That sucks

OK, what do you suggest?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I, for one, am tired of hearing about these stories by these so-called sports writers who know basketball so well. Yet they crap all over WCBB and UCONN. Anyone who really knows the game of basketball know that the UCONN's women's team plays it like it is supposed to be played. The 1st half of the St Francis' game was poetry. They should be writing about that! How well UCONN plays team defense, their passing, and efficiency all over the court. Maybe just maybe we can lead basketball to be playing the right way instead of all this garbage you see in the men's game.

I love watching MCBB and the NBA but can only tolerate high profile games and even those are a stretch. My point is TRUE basketball fans appreciate basketball on all playing levels as long as it is played the right way. These sports writers are idiots.

There are a lot of reasons why the women's game is not as popular as the men. You just touched on one of them. Very little if any support or adoration for them from the media. There are some isolated pockets of support, but generally, WCBB is not even covered by some media outlets. They look at WCBB with disdain and a jaundiced eye. No wonder WCBB can't grab a decent "toe hold" in the male dominated world of basketball. Too many journalists looking for what's wrong with WCBB, instead of looking for what's right with it. Two years ago this month, Dan Shaunnessey took a moment to try and explain to the world what was wrong with UConn and WCBB. With cheerleaders like him, who needs enemies? :mad:

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I read the article and it was full of whining and short on anything of real substance. I had a good laugh at the part where the writer suggests wcbb have some sort of mercy rule, like its junior high bb or something.

Instead of this article bashing geno, why is it not celebrating what he has accomplished in his career at uconn and the way he built the program up from literally nothing. This was a 16 seed matchup, so it ended up in a blowout..big deal. although i will say scoring 94 points in one half is mighty impressive and a record that will be almost impossible to break

One last thought i have on the tournament though..i think wcbb should think about taking the best 64 teams and doing away with the automatic bids.

Reaction Score
Dont watch than! Its just that simple!
After about a year of little competition UConn games grew repetitive like watching a scrimmage. They are amazing but look like talented, robots playing the Wash Generals. First year it was pretty awesome though just seeing how well they moved the ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is a solution to the blowout problem which doesn't have the unfairness of limiting the field to 32 teams.

Keep the field at 64 teams, and institute a double bye system. (Just like the old Big East Conferncen Tournament)

It takes seven rounds by can be completed without major changes to the season calendar.

The top 16 teams (seed 1-4) get two byes, and the next 16 (seeds 5-8) get a single bye.

The initial round pits seeds 9 against 16, 10 against 15 etc.

The initial round games would be much more competitive, with many closer games and many potential upsets.
Because of the ND and Texas games I am hopeful UConn will have at least one team lose within 15 and be within single digits in the 4th quarter. I would consider that respectable for WBB.

Reaction Score
So Baylor sucks? ND sucks? Texas sucks? Louisville sucks? Come on man I know it's not your position to call everyone else a crappy team. You really can't judge by these first round games.
The second day was much better and more exciting and Louisville Marquette was well played and hard fought. A&M incredible finish . Mid-majors repping well. Feel for DePaul. Love Quinnipiac, C Mich, etc. Getting fun.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of reasons why the women's game is not as popular as the men. You just touched on one of them. Very little if any support or adoration for them from the media. There are some isolated pockets of support, but generally, WCBB is not even covered by some media outlets. They look at WCBB with disdain and a jaundiced eye. No wonder WCBB can't grab a decent "toe hold" in the male dominated world of basketball. Too many journalists looking for what's wrong with WCBB, instead of looking for what's right with it. Two years ago this month, Dan Shaunnessey took a moment to try and explain to the world what was wrong with UConn and WCBB. With cheerleaders like him, who needs enemies? :mad:
Shaughnessy was right. No one wants 30 point mismatches in championship games on a regular basis.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The answer is that young girls need to be empowered to excel in sports in the same manner as young boys. The reason there's such a chasm is that the difference between a top 10 recruit and a 90-100 recruit in WBB is probably 2 or 3 times as large as in MBB because there isn't much depth of talent. If the same number of 7 year old girls played basketball as 7 year old boys and the quality of youth coach was identical, we wouldn't have such a large differential.
I can't speak to your town, but here in NJ girls do compete in a broad array of sports. There is considerable competition for 'select' and travel teams and even more so for AAU teams and school teams. I don't think it is an "opportunity" issue.

I do think that athleticism can mask a lack of fundementals and at the end of the day, boys have more athleticism. I also think that there is the trap of of thinking that if WCBB doesn't look like MCBB then it is flawed. That's just uninformed. It is a different sport.

I suspect that a part of the problem lies in schools accepting a mediocre product as being okay for WCBB. You see that a lot. Coaches who haven't produced but are kept on for far longer than a men's team head coach would be. There the world of WCBB owe Geno and CD a world of thanks for showing us that you can expect excellence from female athletes. They have raised the bar, and some say, well, that's not fair, let's even out all the teams so that it's "fair" or "even." I will submit that that position is inherently misogynistic, in essence dismissing woman's sports as an activity rather than a competition.

Reaction Score
Uconn does not choose their opponents....their job is to simply play the game to the best of their ability which they did. And it was a thing of beauty to watch.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Here's my fantasy regarding the attitudes of the USA Today report and others of his ilk:

I wish Geno would offer/dare him to practice with the squad during the pre-season. Full practice, all out. I don't know if the gentleman is physically fit or not, but either way, I wager he would at minimum have some respect for the effort and dedication the women who wear the UConn jersey give to their sport.

This is one aspect of the disrespect shown by these writers that truly riles me - no recognition that the players on our team, and most all other WCBB teams, go through a lot of sweat and tears to play these games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom