And so it begin$$$ (NIL...but not Paige just yet) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

And so it begin$$$ (NIL...but not Paige just yet)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Between school, NIL and basketball (or whatever sport), some of these kids are going to have a hard time. These are very young adults. Hopefully their parents, lawyers, etc. can keep their heads above water. I think, for some, it’s a slippery slope…..

Reaction Score
I'm far from being prudish, but it would be sad to see any of the known college bb players modelling as pin-ups. Where are the lines of worries? A quick look through the pictures shown for this LSU Gymnast makes me think about 'what is being sold here': swim wear, sex, both-- none of the above?
Exactly. I didn’t see much about her gymnastics abilities in the photos.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm far from being prudish, but it would be sad to see any of the known college bb players modelling as pin-ups. Where are the lines of worries? A quick look through the pictures shown for this LSU Gymnast makes me think about 'what is being sold here': swim wear, sex, both-- none of the above?
There’s no doubt about it, there is big NIL potential in the objectification of young women athletes. I’m not really sure how to feel about it. I mean, I’m glad there’s gonna be an opportunity for them to monetize their athletic success, but… [shrugs].

Reaction Score
Hey if you can't get paid through a corporate sponsorship, there's always OF or patreon. Millions of young women make money on those sites.

Reaction Score
Hey if you can't get paid through a corporate sponsorship, there's always OF or patreon. Millions of young women make money on those sites.
I would consider making regular donations if a player I liked would start a Patreon accompanied with a blog/vlog that detailed their basketball life.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

In the last week Geno had and interesting comment on NIL that involved a discussion with Paige about priorities and taking care of business. Essentially, Paige acknowledged to Geno that NIL won’t matter if she sucked at basketball.

Wisdom at such a young age……

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Representation for Paige is extremely important. Obviously, she needs an experienced and well-connected agent who can accurately determine her endorsement value and then line up the right type of deals for her. Getting the details right is far more important than signing on to deals quickly.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Representation for Paige is extremely important. Obviously, she needs an experienced and well-connected agent who can accurately determine her endorsement value and then line up the right type of deals for her. Getting the details right is far more important than signing on to deals quickly.
Paige doesn't have to rush into anything. This isn't a race, and she will have her pick of everything that is out there. The right agent is the first step, and they would be able to steer her in the right direction regarding any type of deals. She is one of the "Diamonds" out there that the agents will be clamoring to sign, so being patient is the right way of going forward. Once they are laid out, then the decision making will occur with her family by her side.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am sure Paige and Azzi will navigate this as easily as the game on the court but when I hear Liv saying this

“Don’t rush into anything,” Nelson-Ododa said. “But now that it’s officially passed and everything, I think it’s a great opportunity for not only me but for other athletes to take advantage of it. So I’m just excited to see where that’s going be able to go.”

I personally worry about those players below the "radar" who may feel the need to hustle for crumbs when they should focus on trying to push their career into the right direction. Not to mention the disappointment these players may have if they really do not attract anything. Messes with your head.

And since you cant mention the school in the "endorsements"? , where is the name recognition going to come from for this tier of player.

Reaction Score
University of South Carolina men's coach Frank Martin had this to say:

“There is a high school kid right now that has a seven figure offer on the table if he goes to a certain school. It’s a free for all right now.”

It basically confirms my worst fears with this NIL business...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
University of South Carolina men's coach Frank Martin had this to say:

“There is a high school kid right now that has a seven figure offer on the table if he goes to a certain school. It’s a free for all right now.”

It basically confirms my worst fears with this NIL business...
I have no doubt that the rumor mill is working overtime. It would be interesting to know who the kid supposedly is and who the offer is supposedly from.

If the offer is from a booster it’s still illegal. If the offer is from a shoe company it is just a legal version of the under the table system that existed with shady middlemen.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If the offer is from a booster it’s still illegal. If the offer is from a shoe company it is just a legal version of the under the table system that existed with shady middlemen.
But why would a shoe company make its offer contingent on choosing a specific university, unless there was some some under-the-table (still illegal) arrangement happening?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But why would a shoe company make its offer contingent on choosing a specific university, unless there was some some under-the-table (still illegal) arrangement happening?
After thinking this through, I think you’re correct. NIL rules prohibit agreements tied to recruiting and/or pay for performance. It shouldn’t matter whether it’s a shady middleman or a shoe company executive that negotiates the deal.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be shocked... shady stuff was going on long before NIL came along. Remember when Auburn bought Cam Newton's services? How about McGuff buying Kelsey Mitchell? All NIL means is schools have more flexibility and options to land the big fish.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be shocked... shady stuff was going on long before NIL came along. Remember when Auburn bought Cam Newton's services? How about McGuff buying Kelsey Mitchell? All NIL means is schools have more flexibility and options to land the big fish.
I think this makes it easier to cheat. They no longer have to worry about a paper trail. Booster money can be funnelled through NIL agreements.

Also, now players can be public about their wealth. Imagine yourself as a 5* freshman athlete who locked up a million dollar deal. Will you spend that money wisely? Will the fact that these freshman are now publicly wealthy transform how they spend that money?

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Paige doesn't have to rush into anything. This isn't a race, and she will have her pick of everything that is out there. The right agent is the first step, and they would be able to steer her in the right direction regarding any type of deals. She is one of the "Diamonds" out there that the agents will be clamoring to sign, so being patient is the right way of going forward. Once they are laid out, then the decision making will occur with her family by her side.

I agree with both of these. Paige seems like a kid with very definite values. She's not going to jump into a deal with a company only to discover later that their CEO "bites the heads of whippets" (to quote Monty Python).

On a recent episode of "The Daily" (NYT in-depth half-hour show on NPR), a reporter who's been covering the NIL thing for awhile said he thought the effect on the total amount of money going into college sports would be a wash. That especially some of the mid-major schools would lose some sponsorship funds, and those funds might be diverted to a single star athlete. (This is just my memory of a reporter's speculation.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom