And home grown talent is going elsewhere... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

And home grown talent is going elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mike McGuirl shouldn't get mentioned in this article. They're trying to make him out as a big miss on our part? Saw him play 20+ games at East Catholic and didn't even think he was a D1 player. In this article, the only 3 guys I can say I'd want are Tyrique Jones, Tremont Waters, and Mustapha Heron. Tyrique Jones is a rock solid backup PF/C that you can count on to give you 20 hard minutes. Tremont Waters, enough said. Absolute stud. Mustapha Heron is a legit first or second scoring option.

True.

Heron just was never coming here and perhaps they should have put more time into Waters when he was younger, but it is what it is.

The (mild) miss was Tyrique Jones. And even that’s understandable - they liked Diarra more. And UConn’s 2016 class was stellar before Glibert’s arm fell off, Diarra’s knee blew up and Durham and Jackson left Storrs on rocket ships.

Reaction Score
Oh of course not... But there IS a reason a guy like Khalil Dukes was "ranked" as 2 star player versus someone else. He went out to USC, couldn't play, went to a smaller school and did much better. He was a 2013-2014 guy, we had Boat, Bazz, and a freshmen TSam as our primary guards. TSam was a guy that we clearly liked over higher ranked guards. While our opinion is obviously meaningless, our program was built on national recruiting; not checking out Ellington HS.

But seriously, that article is discussing the two real big fish in Heron and Waters. They were not coming here without us being shady. I think that's pretty clear. Chukwu did not want to come here and it seems we picked Diarra over Jones due to the Diallo connection. That was a big miss. The other guys mentioned were deemed to not be UConn caliber players by the coaching staff and only became solid players after years of smaller schools or Juco. McGuirl, the kid who went to K-State, has played 12 minutes this year since coming back from injury. Including him as some sort of big miss is idiotic at this point.
The list is lengthy and it goes way back and includes some elite players. I can only go as far back as Tom Roy then it gets a little fuzzy.

Reaction Score
I went to the rival school.

And there were typically fights after the game....by the fans.

That year two girls ripped each other's hair out.

What school? I coach in the area. Pm me if you want to

Reaction Score
I think it is often as simple as kids sometimes want to see and experience something new. Playing basketball allows them the chance to get out of the state. Connecticut (or any state) should not feel entitled to any homegrown kid and fans expecting kids to stay home have unrealistic and dare I say, unfair expectations. I bet you a majority of kids want to go out of state.

Reaction Score
Any relation to the Matt Curtis who played at Cheshire High and then Hartford in the late 80s/early 90s? Think he's Top 10 all-time in state scoring.

His father played at uhart. Maybe?
Mike McGuirl shouldn't get mentioned in this article. They're trying to make him out as a big miss on our part? Saw him play 20+ games at East Catholic and didn't even think he was a D1 player. In this article, the only 3 guys I can say I'd want are Tyrique Jones, Tremont Waters, and Mustapha Heron. Tyrique Jones is a rock solid backup PF/C that you can count on to give you 20 hard minutes. Tremont Waters, enough said. Absolute stud. Mustapha Heron is a legit first or second scoring option.

McGuirl was just really athletic. Undersized at the next level. I don't see him doing much until he develops year 3 or 4.

I haven't seen him play yet. Just heard he is a lethal shooter. Will probably...eventually end up at East Catholic.

He finishes well, can dunk, 6'4 already. Good shooter, not great against athletic pressure though. He also is not a good passer at all.

He's a very good player. But there are kids in the area not far behind who don't even play aau

Pm me if you want me info
On curtis. Prefer not to talk about a 13 year old too much in public, lol.

Reaction Score
True.

Heron just was never coming here and perhaps they should have put more time into Waters when he was younger, but it is what it is.

The (mild) miss was Tyrique Jones. And even that’s understandable - they liked Diarra more. And UConn’s 2016 class was stellar before Glibert’s arm fell off, Diarra’s knee blew up and Durham and Jackson left Storrs on rocket ships.
The much bigger problem is we aren't getting kids from the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, we should be cleaning up in New England.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This coming from one of the most hated posters on the board the BDH. I have to navigate this place like I am trying to survive my first week at Rikers. The bullets and water balloons are flying at my head left and right!

You're not even Top 25. Over/under on 5 people having you on Ignore. I'm taking the under.

Reaction Score
The list is lengthy and it goes way back and includes some elite players. I can only go as far back as Tom Roy then it gets a little fuzzy.
Doug Wardlow, Loyola.

Reaction Score
You're not even Top 25. Over/under on 5 people having you on Ignore. I'm taking the under.
The Westgate SuperBook/LVS put the prop bet up a while ago on my request. Jay Kornegay the Director put the over/under @ 17.5.

The Prop was:

How many University of Connecticut basketball fans registered to the-boneyard.com have moniker BlueDogHouse on iggy (ignore)?

Total = over/under 17.5

Jay sent an email to the Bonyards equivalent of the Mobs Consigliere who were able to data mine the system and get the total @ 22.

I took the under and lost. Basically the prop was up for three (3) hours with only one person making the under play. ME.

Vegas is tough.

Thxs Intlz...we will share an ice cold one soon! :)

Reaction Score
Haha...

Man you understand the game. ;)
the more things change................the more they remain the same. East Catholic "recruiting"...................I thought I was back in the 70's and 80's. Same could be said for St. Bernards in Montville, too. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Doug Wardlow, Loyola.
...........I can go back further. HOF Calvin Murphy, to Niagra, Super John Williamson (Wilbur Cross), the late Soup Campbell (Wilbur Cross) to PC, Sly Williams (Lee HIgh, NH) URI, John Pinone (South Catholic...........I think) to Villanova, John Bagly, (Bridgeport) to BC,. there are more, but really, as was said do you want to continue this all over again.

Reaction Score
The much bigger problem is we aren't getting kids from the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, we should be cleaning up in New England.

It's a misconception though if you are including all the prep school kids. To my knowledge, most are not CT/New England kids. College Basketball is a business. If you were the parent of a top New England player, would you really want him to go to UConn in its current state?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
......I can go back further. HOF Calvin Murphy, to Niagra, Super John Williamson (Wilbur Cross), the late Soup Campbell (Wilbur Cross) to PC, Sly Williams (Lee HIgh, NH) URI, John Pinone (South Catholic......I think) to Villanova, John Bagly, (Bridgeport) to BC,. there are more, but really, as was said do you want to continue this all over again.
A number of very good names.

Bagley however only went to BC because Perno never offered him a scholarship (Mike McKay begged Perno to sign him). Perno was enamored with Rod Foster (a name you missed, landed at UCLA) and overlooked Bagley.

JB's stellar freshman year at BC led Perno to sign Hobbs & Giscombe, two undersized guards, making it impossible a year later to add Michael Adams (also landed at BC).

Reaction Score
A number of very good names.

Bagley however only went to BC because Perno never offered him a scholarship (Mike McKay begged Perno to sign him). Perno was enamored with Rod Foster (a name you missed, landed at UCLA) and overlooked Bagley.

JB's stellar freshman year at BC led Perno to sign Hobbs & Giscombe, two undersized guards, making it impossible a year later to add Michael Adams (also landed at BC).
Great history, never knew that. Did Perno also have any pipe dream hope of getting Ewing with Hobbs or was that never even dreamed of? Hobbs was solid enough anyway to help Perno keep his job and UConn stay mildly competent. Hobbs was a poor man's Taliek Brown!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Perno said (many years later) that the possibility of an in with Ewing was always a consideration but that he recruited Hobbs for Hobbs.

Hobbs always said he was leery about some who recruited him as he felt they only wanted him for Ewing. This was a big part of him coming to UConn.

I always liked Hobbs, both as a player and a coach. I'm still convinced he was our best guards coach ever & I would have loved to have seen Dyson with KH teaching him. I belueve JD would have been everything that we hoped and/or expected him to be if he had KH coaching him.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It's a misconception though if you are including all the prep school kids. To my knowledge, most are not CT/New England kids. College Basketball is a business. If you were the parent of a top New England player, would you really want him to go to UConn in its current state?

I thought it was about education? I thought people who are part of businesses get paid.

Reaction Score
No. I'm a bit older than him.

I did play against Julian Allen and Julian Smith though, apparently (i remember someone saying they had some college players on that team, I used Real GM to look it up).

Julian Allen was so good. That team also has Damian Saunders right?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Julian Allen was so good. That team also has Damian Saunders right?

I think Saunders would've been a frosh that year.

This 6-5 dude, Eric Johnson had their biggest game.

The year I played them they didn't win it all, I believe they lost to the Wilbur Cross team lead by Stanley Myers, one of the biggest teenagers I ever saw in person. He was a manchild.

but damn I wish I got to play against him.

the Q

Reaction Score
Speaking of legends from that era.....what happened to Roosevelt Lee?

He was supposed to be the 2nd coming or something like that.

I saw an article that he's still playing Pro-Am ball.

Reaction Score
......I can go back further. HOF Calvin Murphy, to Niagra, Super John Williamson (Wilbur Cross), the late Soup Campbell (Wilbur Cross) to PC, Sly Williams (Lee HIgh, NH) URI, John Pinone (South Catholic......I think) to Villanova, John Bagly, (Bridgeport) to BC,. there are more, but really, as was said do you want to continue this all over again.
They were all after Wardlaw. He was Cross ‘59 or ‘60. Played on FF Loyola team. 5’11” forward.

Reaction Score
I thought it was about education? I thought people who are part of businesses get paid.

Yep. The payment is at the next level (unless it's already happened.) You think Jalen is happy w/ the decision he's made to come here? If he's at Kansas right now I'd virtually guarantee he's a first-round pick.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yep. The payment is at the next level (unless it's already happened.) You think Jalen is happy w/ the decision he's made to come here? If he's at Kansas right now I'd virtually guarantee he's a first-round pick.

You mean like Frank Mason was?

NPOY Frank Mason....

even he wasn't.

Reaction Score
You mean like Frank Mason was?

NPOY Frank Mason....

even he wasn't.

You want to compare physical attributes there? If Mason was 6-3 and could jump, he would have been a first round pick. I'd also venture to say that Jalen is more talented overall than Mason. Mason just played with better players, in a better environment, for a team that runs an offense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
....Super John Williamson (Wilbur Cross),

I found myself driving from Tucson to El Paso a few years back and noticed New Mexico State had a home game so I pulled over in Las Cruces. NMSU only had a couple of players retired and raised to the rafters and one of them was Super John. How the hell did he end up there? The story I heard later is that Lou Henson agree to take a couple of Williamson's buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom