Analysis and Comments - Game 22 - UConn vs Villanova | The Boneyard

Analysis and Comments - Game 22 - UConn vs Villanova

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
COMMENTS

It was hard to come back to the keyboard after that devastating loss to Notre Dame. It was great seeing all the stars of yesteryear there after some hadn't been back in over 10 years. Emotions were running high for many. Then to see UConn falter at home to our rival Notre Dame was difficult to swallow. And, seeing ND do it with just 4 players scoring all their points: Hildalgo, Westbeld, Citron, and Marshall made it even more incomprehensible. Niele Ivy and her coaching staff did a great job preparing their players.

Well, that was then and this is now...how does UConn respond? I am going to go with intensely, on a mission, on firah', and looking for redemption. It is going to be fast and furious.

Notre Dame doesn't usually put a lot of points up on the board averaging 67.1 per game. They are a pretty good defensive team holding opponents under 60 points per game. They shoot 6.3 three-pointers per game. Villanova usually takes pretty good care of the basketball only turning it over 10.2 times per game while forcing their opponents to turn the ball over 15.3 times per game. They score 15.5 points off turnovers.

Notre Dame's RPI is currently at 37 and its SOS is 54; UConn's RPI is 4 and its SOS is 1.

Notre Dame's Opponent RPIs

305, 231, 188, 181, 176, 168, 143, 132, 129, 117, 99, 80, 71, 69, 59, 51, 29, 18, 10, 9.

UConn's Opponent RPIs

208, 181, 176, 117, 99, 71, 70, 69. 67, 59, 41, 26, 25, 22, 20, 15, 9, 7, 5

ANALYSIS

Aaliyah Edwards - 6'3" vs Christine Dalce - 6'2"
- Aaliyah is averaging 16.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game. Christine is averaging 8.8 points, 10.6 rebounds, and 1 assist per game. I expect Aaliyah to showcase her footwork, speed and efficiency around the basket. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers - 6'0" vs Bella Runyan - 5' 11" - I am hoping that there is no lingering effects from Paige's head hitting the floor on Sunday. Assuming she is okay...then I expect to see Paige return to her form where she averages 20 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.8 assists 2.4 steals, and 1.1 blocks. Paige has been averaging 2.14 threes per game but, I look for her to try shooting the 3 ball more as she starts preparing for the postseason where she will have to carry the team against some of the more elite basketball teams. I expect we will see her start averaging 4 to 5 three-pointers per game. Bella may find herself on the short end of a rebound game by Paige as I suspect that Paige is very unhappy with her performance in the ND game. Bella averages 7 points 5.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 1.6 steals and about 1 three-pointer per game. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

KK Arnold - 5'9" vs Zanai Jones - 5'6" - Zanai Jones is averaging 6.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists, and 1 steal per game. KK is averaging 9.8 points, 2.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 2.4 steals per game. Additionally, KK is beginning to feel more comfortable from three. KK's lock-down defense will be a problem for Zanai. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl - 5'11" vs Lucey Olsen - 5'9" - Nika always wants the other team's best player. Well, here she is Lucey Olsen. Lucey averages 23.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and hits 1.5 three-pointers per game. Can Nika stop Lucey and not get into foul trouble? That remains to be seen. If Nika does not get into foul trouble and stays on the floor she will be a nuisance for Lucey but, Lucey is having a tremendous season and I don't see any reason why it won't continue in this game. ADVANTAGE - VILLANOVA

Ashlynn Shade - 5'10" vs Maddie Burke - 6'0"- Maddy Burke averages 4.9 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists per game. However, Maddie Burke only plays 22.3 minutes per game. I would expect to see Maddie Webber a 5'11" freshman guard who plays 24.8 minutes per game take some of the minutes at this position. Maddie Webber averages 9.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1 assist, and hits on 1.3 three-pointers per game. Ashlynn played all 40 minutes against Notre Dame and I don't expect to see her play that many minutes in this one. We will see Q and Bettencourt get some minutes in this one. Ashlynn Averages 11.6 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, and hits on 1.6 three-pointers. Against either Maddie Burke or Maddie Webber Ashlynn will dominate this match-up. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

BENCH - Villanova will bring in 12.1 points and 4.5 rebounds off the bench while UConn will bring 11.6 points and 5.7 rebounds off the bench. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

INTANGIBLES - UConn will come out running, fired up from their loss against Notre Dame. Villanova has the home-court advantage but I do not think it will be enough to deter UConn from running away with this one. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING - Even with limited choices the UConn coaching staff will get this group fired up... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

SCORE

UCONN - 91
VILLANOVA - 58

MOV - 33

Reaction Score
You have a lot of ND stuff mixed in there. Teams RPI is wrong or the label is wrong. ND or Nova? I think you have Nova data but said Notre Dame in several spots.

Thanks for always doing these though.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Ursharak...you are 100 percent right...as I said, I just can't get that loss to ND out of my mind...From where I said, that was then and this is now, I meant Villanova and not Notre Dame. The RPIs are the correct RPI for Villanova the label, (Notre Dame is incorrect).

I think it is going to take some time for me to put that game behind me. Thanks for letting me know...I can't edit it as it is too late...so we will have to live with it

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hopefully this thread will be allowed to move down with no further replies and all future replies can be made on the: Corrected: Analysis and Comments - Game 22 - UConn vs Villanova thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom