OT: - An Unlikely Friendship w/Charles Barkley | The Boneyard

OT: An Unlikely Friendship w/Charles Barkley

Reaction Score
I have never been a fan of CB, quite the opposite, but I recently became friends with a couple of long-time Phoenix-area residents who told story after story of his giving back to the community and genuine positive interaction with local residents. Who knew, certainly not me.

Reaction Score
Barkley is a great guy. Nobody that meets Charles doesn’t like him other than people looking to harass him. He’s just a fun loving, good person. Sometimes, people don’t get his humor or like his opinion on one thing or another, but he’s always been pleasant and very accessible to the public. Same with Shaq.

Reaction Score
Also liked his fun tourney coverage except when he was down on the Huskies, good guy.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Awesome story. Anyone in the bar at the Dallas Hyatt after our Final Four wins in 2014 knows what a nice guy Barkley is. Picked up the tab for about 100 people and did Big Reds U-C-O-N-N chant. Good times. I had a video but somehow lost it when I went from blackberry to iPhone a bunch of years ago. Somehow I have this picture of it but no video.

B237D9F8-CD2E-489E-BC4A-24D03519F147.jpeg

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Read that this morning. Tremendous story. Always liked Barkley and now I like him even more.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Great story. After reading it, it actually does sound like the kind of thing Barkley would do.

"It’s fun to be with your friends, you know? 'Cause, I don’t have that many friends that I want to be around, to be honest with you. I mean, you know a lot of people. But when you go spend time with your friends, it’s a whole different animal."

So true. So much empty talk in the world. The ones who listen and care are gold.

Reaction Score
Awesome story. Anyone in the bar at the Dallas Hyatt after our Final Four wins in 2014 knows what a nice guy Barkley is. Picked up the tab for about 100 people and did Big Reds U-C-O-N-N chant. Good times. I had a video but somehow lost it when I went from blackberry to iPhone a bunch of years ago. Somehow I have this picture of it but no video.

View attachment 37422

Shoulda kept the BlackBerry...now, they've got you hooked. I wonder if it's harder to get off crack, or Apple?

Reaction Score
Barkley was my favorite player when I was a kid.... around the same time I was beginning a life long love of Uconn.... to this day one of my favorite memories was my 8th grade b-ball coach taking me to see him play golf on a local course here in Cincinnati and getting his autograph on a basketball. All we had to do was ask (which I feel can be quite a feat these days for someone as good as he was at the time). It sits in my man cave next to a basketball autographed by the 2014 uconn team

Reaction Score
Barkley is a great guy. Nobody that meets Charles doesn’t like him other than people looking to harass him. He’s just a fun loving, good person. Sometimes, people don’t get his humor or like his opinion on one thing or another, but he’s always been pleasant and very accessible to the public. Same with Shaq.
A friend of mine is George Mikan's nephew, Shaq was incredibly good to Mikan. Shaq is another great person.

Reaction Score
So true. So much empty talk in the world. The ones who listen and care are gold.
Related perspective: The article is a reminder of how different friend and depth of friendship can be defined in different cultures.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom