An opinion on why Geno is annoyed. | The Boneyard

An opinion on why Geno is annoyed.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Watched the Tulsa game and read several threads. Have some thoughts about several topics that have been addressed.

1. Been wondering why he had a three hour practice the day before a game. That may be normal but I wonder if Geno does that before all games or he just knew that he could because he was playing Tulsa.

2. Geno did not like Gabby's body language after she missed 3 of 4 FTs. Watching the game, it was really subtle action on Gabby's part. It was the second time though that he had to address it (SMU) and maybe again because it was Tulsa he could take stronger action. Lou was cold and was not handling it very well (in his eyes). Tulsa gave him a chance to sit them without negatively effecting the outcome of the game.

3. The thread about Gemo's thoughts about the league fits this line of thinking. He said in an interview once, that he would create situations in practices that would be purposely unfair. 5 on 6, 5 on 7 etc. Crank up the competition, put their backs against the wall to see how they react. Long practice, sit two starters, barely interact during the first half etc. He loves seeing how they react when they are uncomfortable

4. With this league schedule, it is easy for to get into a rut. It is like he is creating artificial drama to keep an edge. He is a master psychologist. It seems to be in full force.

5. A first timer watching the game yesterday would, other that some shaky three point shooting in the first two and a half quarters, would be very impressed with the quality of UConn's play. It is a shame that he has to do stuff to maintain an edge just because the league is so weak.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The schedule was, for obvious reasons, frontloaded to be very difficult. They are now pushing through a January and February which feels very different. Blowouts every time out, except for an important game upcoming on February 13.

They have been going for almost four months, including pre-season practices, and there is still a long ways to go. Very easy to get stale at this time of year. You see it in a lot of teams. Kind of equivalent to baseball`s "dog days of August".

This is when the master motivator`s skills are tested. He usually passes with flying colors.

BTW, was surprised when I heard they practiced for three hours on the day before a game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno also had a problem with Gabby's effort on the defensive end, her demeanor, facial expressions and body language throughout the week.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The on/off switch, for playing nasty for 40 minutes, has been stuck at 20 minutes for awhile.
That its stuck wont matter much for the conference games. Getting it unstuck for USC, and the games in March/April, might be something that needs more than some WD-40.

Reaction Score
The schedule was, for obvious reasons, frontloaded to be very difficult. They are now pushing through a January and February which feels very different. Blowouts every time out, except for an important game upcoming on February 13.

They have been going for almost four months, including pre-season practices, and there is still a long ways to go. Very easy to get stale at this time of year. You see it in a lot of teams. Kind of equivalent to baseball`s "dog days of August".

This is when the master motivator`s skills are tested. He usually passes with flying colors.

BTW, was surprised when I heard they practiced for three hours on the day before a game.
Disagree. Blowout Feb 13 :D

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I thought I noticed on TV in the 2d half of the Temple game in which UConn scored 45 pts against Temple's 51 pts that our players looked as if they were physically tired... The first half of the Tulsa game was similar... their physical demeanor did not look positive... No wonder Geno kicked their butts a bit...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno also had a problem with Gabby's effort on the defensive end, her demeanor, facial expressions and body language throughout the week.

Did he say this in an interview or press conference?

Reaction Score
Ah C'mon. Geno spent the first 12 games saying the team was terrible and was going to get an ass-kicking. Then he said that they'd never break the continuous game winning record. Then he said that it didn't really matter when they broke the record. Now he's saying it's February and they better play better.

f2efc976d7f39c0d4590de9b805283b5.jpeg

Reaction Score
Not a blowout against South Carolina. It will be a close game. Their guard play is much better, as is the scoring from their guards.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is annoyed because it's impossible for him to go through a season without getting annoyed at his team at some point. If it ever happens he'll probably retire.

Reaction Score
It seems every year about this time Geno creates some minor contretemps with this, that, of those players. It's always some supposedly perceived attitude problem which is not obvious to outside observers and is possibly invented by the ultimate puppet master to stir things up and keep things interesting through the "dog days" of February.

If it didn't happen every year, like clockwork, I would worry, but I've become convinced it's a coaching ploy.

Win or (yes, it can happen) lose, coaches and players are always all praise and hugs at the end of the season, which is all that matters.

I loved Kara Wolters' comment about players being in the "chalet de bow wow"! This year I imagine he's scratching hard to find anyone to banish to the "chalet".

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if a couple starters get benched for the game before the SC game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom