An ND Perspective | The Boneyard

An ND Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder how Muffet's comments will help/hurt her team. I'm not sure saying that most of her players lacked a mental characteristic of "toughness" and that she can't help that, is a good strategy. It didn't seemed at this point to be phrased as a challenge that "we" are going to work on, but more of a complaint.

Reaction Score
"Michaela Mabry’s role within the Irish offense is as a shooter. She’s hitting 42 percent from the field, as well as beyond the 3-point line. With Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis in her face and in her head the entire game, Mabry was 0-for-7 from the field, five of those from beyond the arc."

Looks like Kaleena found that step she lost.;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have a qualm with this "One obvious fact to come from Saturday’s game: Notre Dame is built on role players; UConn is built on stars. That’s just part of life in the women’s college basketball."

That's just wrong. ND is the program with the "star" system. Loyd this year, McBride and Diggins in the recent past. UConn plays team ball. Nobody was calling Tuck and Stokes "stars" on Friday.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
"Michaela Mabry’s role within the Irish offense is as a shooter. She’s hitting 42 percent from the field, as well as beyond the 3-point line. With Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis in her face and in her head the entire game, Mabry was 0-for-7 from the field, five of those from beyond the arc."

I can't remember who it was, but at one point early in the game she covered a lot of territory to close out on a shooter and I thought exactly the same thing.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I certainly was thinking the same thing watching the game from a raucous bar (needs further study)
But there is the caveat the Marbrey is among the slowest/ least athletic guards n the country.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I wonder how Muffet's comments will help/hurt her team. I'm not sure saying that most of her players lacked a mental characteristic of "toughness" and that she can't help that, is a good strategy. It didn't seemed at this point to be phrased as a challenge that "we" are going to work on, but more of a complaint.

I think she identified toughness as a problem. The writer went on about it being hard to fix, not her.

Seems to me the UConn staff has been able to deal with the problem at times: Kiah is one example. Add Stef and Tina. There may be others.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have a qualm with this "One obvious fact to come from Saturday’s game: Notre Dame is built on role players; UConn is built on stars. That’s just part of life in the women’s college basketball."

That's just wrong. ND is the program with the "star" system. Loyd this year, McBride and Diggins in the recent past. UConn plays team ball. Nobody was calling Tuck and Stokes "stars" on Friday.
I think the issue (regardless of recruiting ranking) is that with the exception of Loyd, position by position comparison (including the bench) it is clear that Uconn has 'star quality' and ND has 'good' players. The only other player starting for ND that may be in the 'star' class is Turner but she is a freshman. (I like Allen as well but not as much as Jefferson/Nurse.) I think that was probably what was meant and not a description of the team orientation of either team.

Reaction Score

KML can guard Mabrey. Not sure she can guard the 2 pg's from Stanford. Those gaurds get in the lane and hit the floater, pass to the big after a UCONN big has to help once they beat the defender off the dribble, or miss the shot but because the UCONN big needs to help - it leaves the opposing big open for an offensive rebound.

Two entriely different circumstances of guarding Mabrey vs guarding Stanford at the sg.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

I was about to make the same point when I saw Waquoit's post. I think the writer of the article has to be quite confused to have said such a ridiculous thing.

Reaction Score
'Deer in the headlights'? ND came out loaded for bear, knocking down shots, playing D, etc. I saw no fear. They were not in awe of big bad UCONN.

Then UCONN began to play, and that, as they say, was that. ND simply got it's green tush kicked. All the mental toughness in the world wasn't going to make a difference. Muffin was thinking back to her teams made up of bruise sisters who were good enough, but would stomp you, until and if the refs did something about it, which they rarely did. 'Mental toughness' at ND translates to assault.

Tara took a page from Muffin this year because she had nothing to lose, and if there is a silver lining to that L, it isn't that we didn't work hard enough. It was that UCONN came to understand, at a gut level, that every other team out there has a simple game plan: hold them, bang them, knock them down, and hope for the best.

Reaction Score
Loyd or Stewie may be the most talented players who were on the floor but neither was the best player on the floor for this game . The very talented Morgan Tuck easily lays claim to that title with 1A being Kiah Stokes. Going 10 for 27 or 3 for 12 does not make you best player. As far as stars or role players a lot of these HS all Americans don't even become college role players.

Reaction Score

Stars have names on the backs of their jerseys.

Reaction Score
Nan posted this link: http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball...cle_f549cf64-7dab-11e4-937b-cbfc634dc34e.html

Always interesting to read the other guy's viewpoint.
"One obvious fact to come from Saturday’s game: Notre Dame is built on role players; UConn is built on stars. That’s just part of life in the women’s college basketball.

Stars can be stars on their own. Role players rely on each other."

What?? This is so wrong about UConn. No wonder Muffet threw her players under the bus in the post game interview. The whole ND system and press is rotten. No Friggen class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom