An interesting ratings test | The Boneyard

An interesting ratings test

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Friday after Thanksgiving college football.

FS1 has Oregon and Oregon State at 7
ESPN has USF at UCF at 8

This has to be the Fox Sports One Ratings Super Bowl. I'd be shocked if that Uncivil War game wasn't hyped non stop across every platform.

Reaction Score
If OSU and UofO don't destroy the UCF/USF game numbers, then this network is doomed. They're advertising the game heavily and it is historically one of the best rivalries in college football, typically tons of drama. Nothing to see in the UCF/USF game...unless UCF decides to crap the bed.

Reaction Score
West coast football vs east coast football.....

Will Californians tune in? Will Floridians?

Reaction Score
If OSU and UofO don't destroy the UCF/USF game numbers, then this network is doomed. They're advertising the game heavily and it is historically one of the best rivalries in college football, typically tons of drama. Nothing to see in the UCF/USF game...unless UCF decides to crap the bed.
It should totally destroy it...but the OSU-Oregon game lost some of its luster with Oregon losing two games. There would have been more casual attention if there were title implications.

Reaction Score
I thought you were going to talk about our game against Rutgers at noon Saturday on ESPNU :). Wonder it the B1G will check the ratings ? Maybe more than 300 RU basketball fans will tune in.

Reaction Score
Well, they put the start of the USF/UCF game on ESPN News, so it won't be a good comparison.

Reaction Score
Well, they put the start of the USF/UCF game on ESPN News, so it won't be a good comparison.
Jim, here in Hartford County it's on ESPN, ch 29, the big channel. O v OSU is on like channel 731, which I have to think no one on the east coast on a Friday night is going to find. We'll see. Should be interesting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was at dinner watching both. USF/UCF got the basketball lead in, but the Oregon game is 1000x better. It will get buried in ratings but it's not even close for entertainment value.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The USF game was pretty decent at the end. It's amazing how much stadium atmosphere matters when watching on TV.

Reaction Score
Another interesting ratings test.

Which does better, Oklahoma State versus Memphis on ESPN2 or Kentucky versus Providence on Fs1?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
upstater said:
Another interesting ratings test.

Which does better, Oklahoma State versus Memphis on ESPN2 or Kentucky versus Providence on Fs1?

How about Seton Hall and FDU against a test pattern?

Reaction Score
How about Seton Hall and FDU against a test pattern?

Last week's low was 1,000 fans.

Frankly, there is more than enough reason to doubt Neilsen is right on this stuff. I'm guessing that one person logging TV for them this week says they watched that 1,000 viewer game, and they extrapolated that into 1,000 viewers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last week's low was 1,000 fans.

Frankly, there is more than enough reason to doubt Neilsen is right on this stuff. I'm guessing that one person logging TV for them this week says they watched that 1,000 viewer game, and they extrapolated that into 1,000 viewers.

Or as they say, it could just be pets stepping on remotes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
2.179 mil for Oregon Oregon State on FS1.

Their highest rated show to date.

If they get some stuff worth watching they will get some viewers.

Reaction Score

This was my point with the ufc, people know where the channel is and will tune in, when they have something people want to watch. To date, that hasnt been big east basketball.

Reaction Score

Decent number for them. If they showed team with more juice they should double that, at least.

Reaction Score
The BE is flogging for ticket sales for the BET.

The BIG EAST Men's Basketball Tournament takes over The Garden, March 12-15. Buy your tickets today: http://Post original url/1aWTAVb

I just checked, upper bowl tickets are readily available.
I can't ever remember tix being available for the BET.

Reaction Score

The BIG EAST Men's Basketball Tournament takes over The Garden, March 12-15. Buy your tickets today: http://Post original url/1aWTAVb

I agree. Tix would be available, but your were paying a shiny coin for them.

THis is the reality of our situation moving forward - the sad part. The good part is that our football conference, while spread out, is not going to be bad, in fact it is already a better league than the Big EAst football conference was, and we will not have the football (and other sports) travel issues that other conferences have after this latest round of mess. We fly into major hubs and have easy (as easy as can be) travel for our basketball on other sports. Instead of 4-5 hour bus rides, they got 4-5 hour flights. More expensive, yes, but that will be made up in the future. The basketball conference, while most folks simply can't get over the nostalgia for the Big East, is going to be ok. We have added programs that can recruit players from the same mold that the Big EAst was built - east coast metropolitan areas, and we've added florida and texas metropolitan areas.

The thing that has suffered the most, is our men's basketball post season conference tournament. I got my ticket order form for the Fed Ex forum in Memphis recently. As much as I'd like to go, it's simply not in the works. Driving to NYC and spending a few evenings there was a great thing. I just can't do that anymore. I suspect that I'm not alone, in that I just don't have the time to take an entire week off and go to Tennessee.

Then you read about this - and the freaking Garden is going to be empty.

Idiots - all of them - that let this happen over the years to the Big East conference. The big east conference, had it leadership that really embraced football, would be the most powerful conference in the country for over two decades running now.

I personally don't know anybody that is going to the garden this year for basketball. The place is going to be a shadow of what it was for March college basketball in the past.

Just sad.

But oh well, move on. Next game. Win.

Reaction Score

That is bad news for the Big East, but not surprising given they lost most of the big draws of the tournament, UConn, Cuse, ND, Louisville, and Pitt. Still, I can't remember the last time there was a public sale of BET tickets. Clearly, the BET is going to need a smaller venue in the future.

Reaction Score
Has anybody else looked at that link for seats in the Garden? Holy crap - there are nearly entire second level sections that have not been sold. The Garden was a pre-season sell out last year for the Big East tourney, at 4-5 times the ticket prices I'm seeing there.

Idiots - all of them.

Reaction Score
to be fair, I think it was common knowledge that the BE Tourney was never going to be the same.
Villanova, G'town, Butler, Creighton, and Xavier do not, will not and can not equal Uconn, UofL, Pitt, and Syr.
In many ways, that tourney was harder to win than the NCAA.

Sad. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104