An In-Depth Look At UConn's Lack of Depth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

An In-Depth Look At UConn's Lack of Depth

Reaction Score
According to the NY Liberty roster, Bria is 68 Hartley units.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a heads up on any of these minutes comparisons - there are a few important factors:
1. previous years minutes include a full season, this year we still have 5 easy-ish conference games left, plus 2 easy-ish tournament games, plus the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

2. This year's bench has gotten minutes in a much more varied level - at various time Bent, Irwin, Coombs, and Ono have been the flavor of the day or week, so the average minutes for each is lower than previous years when there has been a clear 6th and 7th player. They average 9.3 - 12.0 minutes per game (fairly interchangeable.) The bench is averaging 50 minutes a game which is not chump change.

3. None of the bench players is a 'force' offensively so Geno has consistently kept a few starters on the floor with the bench until the final minute(s) to keep some semblance of offensive flow. The players chosen to play extended minutes have varied and it has added to all of their average minutes - earlier in the year it was the freshman Williams who was averaging 34 minutes. Now it has shifted to Lou and Crystal.

4. Fouls are a huge factor, and except for Ono, no one on the team has been foul prone this year - a stark contrast to previous years where Geno was frequently managing starters minutes because of fouls.

Reaction Score
For the same reason they keep talking about AEH and all other transfers that are no longer at UConn. It's becoming...

View attachment 39791

Could it be (and it's just my opinion, and I hope that I am wrong) that all of the recent number of players leaving Geno's program is beginning to have an impact as it relates to recruiting Elite Players to the UCONN Program? Prospects talk to current and ex players about the program and playing for Geno. Maybe the days of showing all of the Turassi's, Birds, Stewart's, KML's, KLS's and Montgomery's of the world are now on equal level to those Top 100 players who end up leaving the program, to go onto more prosperous collegiate careers

Reaction Score
Could it be (and it's just my opinion, and I hope that I am wrong) that all of the recent number of players leaving Geno's program is beginning to have an impact as it relates to recruiting Elite Players to the UCONN Program? Prospects talk to current and ex players about the program and playing for Geno. Maybe the days of showing all of the Turassi's, Birds, Stewart's, KML's, KLS's and Montgomery's of the world are now on equal level to those Top 100 players who end up leaving the program, to go onto more prosperous collegiate careers
I don't have an encyclopedic memory, but in terms of top-notch players who left there was Elena, and now the AEH (who has turned out well but didn't fit into the UConn style or coaching style or whatever) and I don;t think was considered an "elite" player, and there was Elena and, well, who else?
To my way of thinking, it's not the great players leaving. It's the possibly great players not arriving.

Reaction Score
“Top 100” is the problem - just stop recruiting them. Top 10 Players don’t care what Top 100 players left the program. Name one Top 10 player or starter who ever left the program.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just a heads up on any of these minutes comparisons - there are a few important factors:
1. previous years minutes include a full season, this year we still have 5 easy-ish conference games left, plus 2 easy-ish tournament games, plus the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

2. This year's bench has gotten minutes in a much more varied level - at various time Bent, Irwin, Coombs, and Ono have been the flavor of the day or week, so the average minutes for each is lower than previous years when there has been a clear 6th and 7th player. They average 9.3 - 12.0 minutes per game (fairly interchangeable.) The bench is averaging 50 minutes a game which is not chump change.

4. Fouls are a huge factor, and except for Ono, no one on the team has been foul prone this year - a stark contrast to previous years where Geno was frequently managing starters minutes because o
f fouls.

I doubt the remaining games are going to change the averages very much. They will see little time in the AAC or NCAA tourney. And the 50 minutes a game thing is only what they are playing when they play. The five remaining bench players have only seen time in 82% of the total games played. In other words, there area lot of 0 minutes in there that don't change the average minutes played individually. So that 50 minutes isn't the case. A more accurate representation is 38.5 which is what the non starting five have averaged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom