An In-Depth Look At UConn's Lack of Depth | The Boneyard

An In-Depth Look At UConn's Lack of Depth

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
All years since '86 broken down by leaders in minutes or players with 30+ mpg.

All five UConn starters are averaging at least 30 minutes per game this season, a reflection of the fact that the Huskies don’t have the bench that Coach Geno Auriemma would like.

Since minutes played were recorded and kept as an official stat starting with Auriemma’s second season in 1986-87, no other UConn team has had five players average 30 minutes.

For UConn women, lack of depth remains issue (through the years comparison)

Reaction Score

All five UConn starters are averaging at least 30 minutes per game this season, a reflection of the fact that the Huskies don’t have the bench that Coach Geno Auriemma would like.

Since minutes played were recorded and kept as an official stat starting with Auriemma’s second season in 1986-87, no other UConn team has had five players average 30 minutes.

Sluconn.....exactly right, but, you gotta like the fact that ONO is getting more playing time - 21 minutes today!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sluconn.....exactly right, but, you gotta like the fact that ONO is getting more playing time - 21 minutes today!

One thing I noticed about ONO is that she had gotten her FT form under control. This may not sound like a big deal but I think it is a good indicator that she is getting mentally right.

Reaction Score
I think in college basketball, having a bench in order to rest players is totally overrated. All of Geno’s practices are more difficult than any games. With breaks and whistles, 40 minutes is not that long a period of time. As the playoffs unfold, every team in America will be shortening their rotations anyway. This is not the NBA, where 10 guys play and your 2nd team better be able to compete with the other team’s second team.
The key for me regarding a bench, is whether there are sparks coming in the game and different situations may call for different contributions such as an outside shot or a defensive stop. Liv gave UConn a big spark against SC. Again, if UConn has the best talent in America, then they already have the players they need on the floor and we don’t get in foul trouble. (Knock on wood)

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed about ONO is that she had gotten her FT form under control. This may not sound like a big deal but I think it is a good indicator that she is getting mentally right.
Great observation. She was fine at the start of the season and then went completely wrong and now is back. I hope you're right and that this is a sign of things to come.

Reaction Score
I think in college basketball, having a bench in order to rest players is totally overrated. All of Geno’s practices are more difficult than any games. With breaks and whistles, 40 minutes is not that long a period of time. As the playoffs unfold, every team in America will be shortening their rotations anyway. This is not the NBA, where 10 guys play and your 2nd team better be able to compete with the other team’s second team.
The key for me regarding a bench, is whether there are sparks coming in the game and different situations may call for different contributions such as an outside shot or a defensive stop. Liv gave UConn a big spark against SC. Again, if UConn has the best talent in America, then they already have the players they need on the floor and we don’t get in foul trouble. (Knock on wood)
Well, there it is. Fouls and injuries. We don't need a bench at all if those things don't happen. Folks who think like this are a laugh riot on a long car trip: "We've got one tank of gas. We'll be fine. It's only Death Valley."

Reaction Score
Well, there it is. Fouls and injuries. We don't need a bench at all if those things don't happen. Folks who think like this are a laugh riot on a long car trip: "We've got one tank of gas. We'll be fine. It's only Death Valley."
Why doesn’t the BY quit talking about the bench that we don’t have. Like Geno says, it is what it is. If one of our starters goes down, we’re screwed. What are some some sort of genius for saying that? What are you going to do? We have Liv getting better, but still weak with the ball. Kyla could hold her own for a few minutes. Coombs can contribute, but even with gravity on our side, she ain’t gunna make any shots, ever! There! Brilliant! QUIT TALKING ABOUT IT!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My opinion is that if 1 starter is not on the court in a real game, one, or more than one, of the remaining 4 starters certainly has the ability to take up any slack that there might be.
And yes, my cup is half full.

Reaction Score
An indicator of confidence and feeling more secure in the position she is playing. I like it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I talked about this last game. Previously she had been pushing the ball toward the basket on her FT's. Last game she finally extended, used her wrist, and let the ball flow off of her fingers. Jaime and Shea were really excited when she made both last game. Today they smiled ear to ear. I went through a list of her strong points last game so I won't reiterate. Two things I missed were her quick feet and the fact that she throws a nice pass. One weakness I missed was how only fair is her drop step. Nevertheless, all of her weaknesses, can be resolved either through practice or increasing her strength.

Reaction Score
Why doesn’t the BY quit talking about the bench that we don’t have. Like Geno says, it is what it is. If one of our starters goes down, we’re screwed. What are some some sort of genius for saying that? What are you going to do? We have Liv getting better, but still weak with the ball. Kyla could hold her own for a few minutes. Coombs can contribute, but even with gravity on our side, she ain’t gunna make any shots, ever! There! Brilliant! QUIT TALKING ABOUT IT!

For the same reason they keep talking about AEH and all other transfers that are no longer at UConn. It's becoming...

1550489085917.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A serious question for those on the "bench we don't have" bandwagon.

When was the last time Geno play more than 7 players in a game except for blowouts? I think you need to check your history.

Reaction Score

there was no need for the starters to go 30 minutes plus against UCF or almost any of the AAC games....................in this instance I think Geno just wanted to add a bit of a smack down to that overly chippy UCF team and get his starters used to that kind of play for future reference.............

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Why don't you quit talking about people who wish to talk about a short bench? If that discussion bothers you ignore it.

Reaction Score

there's one big difference between games and practices........................games actually count................;);).

Reaction Score
Makes me wonder: If we all quit talking about everything and anything, would that mean that there would not be a Boneyard???

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why don't you quit talking about Coombs. To say she won't ever make any shots is something that you DO NOT know. She has two years to play and during that time I believe her offense will bloom. There are some who thought Walker would be a bust. Just give the players time. If Coombs never improves her offense it will be an indictment of the coaching staff. Also, one of the reasons the starters are averaging 30 minutes is that they have not been blowing the AAC opponents away as some other UConn teams did and thus Geno won't sit them as soon as he did other teams.

Reaction Score
Why don't you quit talking about Coombs. To say she won't ever make any shots is something that you DO NOT know. She has two years to play and during that time I believe her offense will bloom. There are some who thought Walker would be a bust. Just give the players time. If Coombs never improves her offense it will be an indictment of the coaching staff. Also, one of the reasons the starters are averaging 30 minutes is that they have not been blowing the AAC opponents away as some other UConn teams did and thus Geno won't sit them as soon as he did other teams.
Ok. just making a point that our bench is what it is. Sure I hope she blossoms. Of course we all do. Is it going to happen this year?
Really, not dominating the competition in the AAC? I assume you watch the games. Have you ever watched an AAC game, in which you doubted the outcome? Cincinnati away this year. Putrid performance by UConn. The subs could have done just as well and I would have loved to see him bench the starting 5. Who cares if we win that game. Like Geno says, who cares what our seeding is as long as the team is peaking come tournament time.
Remember Tulane LAST YEAR when we laid an egg and almost lost.
Sorry I offended you regarding Mikayla. I am actually one that wants her to get more time. If Geno stuck with the press more she would get more opportunities. Not everyone has to score.

Reaction Score
there's one big difference between games and practices....games actually count......;);).
Not my point. Not my point at all. The point is that the physical wear and tear on a 20 year old body is possibly even greater from a UConn practice session than it is from a 40 minute game. So, I am not impressed by the point made on BY a million times about the fact that our starters average 30 minutes a game.
Besides you know that practices count at UConn. It may be the true essence of UConn basketball excellence. Try to play to your potential and get better every minute of every day.
If your point is something about the stress of a game versus practice. I agree for the 5 or 6 real games UConn plays every year pre-tournament. Are the Temple or Memphis or SMU players tougher than the practice players at UConn?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
To reiterate: By several measures Irwin is a better player than Gardler was, is higher up in the depth chart than Gardler was, plays in a weaker conference than Gardler did .... yet averages less minutes. She is not the only player with which I can make such a comparison. Nor is the issue she does not practice well, we know she does, as does Bent, who compares favorably to Conlon, at least coming out of high school. Several signs indicates Auriemma substitutes differently now, rather than he is constrained by a weak bench that could not perform adequately even if given the reps over time.

Yet this is not necessarily a mistake. Some posters cite growing equity as cause for our current "downturn." Yet this "downturn" so far has been more successful than any downturn in between our championships in the past, more successful even than when Moore was playing during one of those "downturn" years. Could the lack of playing time farther down the bench hurt us under certain circumstances? Certainly. It didn't hurt Notre Dame last year but one never knows what will happen. I'm not saying I like Auriemma's changed approach to playing the bench, but empirically I cannot argue with the resulting success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom