An Appreciation of This Team and Season | The Boneyard

An Appreciation of This Team and Season

Reaction Score
Heading into today's game, I was reflecting on the course of this season and all that has transpired. I like to take a philosophical perspective on things and one of my favorite Arthur Schopenhauer quotes is "We seldom think of what we have but always of what we lack. Therefore, rather than grateful, we are bitter.

Heading into the season before the onslaught of injuries and illness, the sky was the limit based on the collective talent of this team. Like many, the coaching staff had to be a little deflated as the injuries piled up. What once looked so promising seemed to be crumbling before their eyes.

Midway into the season, Geno experienced a personal loss and needed a break to recharge, reevaluate and recover. As Schopenhauer stated, "Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things." Since his return to the sidelines, there is a pronounced change in Geno's outlook. He appears more at peace with the circumstances. Like Schopenhauer opined, "It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else." Being around this collection of young women seems to bring this home.

Yes, the perfectionist in him will not suffer the mindless turnovers and faulty execution, but he is prioritizing more of what the team and players are doing well. Regardless if any of the injured players return, the starting five has developed real chemistry and are beginning that late season UConn sprint to the postseason. And who would have expected their collective performances to date.

Aaliyah was expected to improve upon her sophomore year, but very few imagined her playing at an All-American level. Aubrey was a question mark given she missed last year. How would she hold up after back surgery? She is only playing the best basketball of her career. Prior to the start, opinions about Nika stretched around the globe and were as varied as the colors in a Crayola box. However, nobody ventured that she would be leading the nation in assists. It is more than happenstance that the team has four starters (5 counting Azzi) scoring in double digits. There were expectations for Dorka as a 5th year grad student, but averaging a double/double fits nicely on the high end. Lastly, preseason opinions about Lou were mostly positive, but few doubted she would have the type of impact she has had. More importantly, she is improving in areas other than her pristine shooting.

This isn't the team we expected, but it has become the team we love. Listening to the coaching staff in interviews and pressers, you hear their pride and satisfaction in what these ladies are accomplishing. "To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence" is another quote by Schopenhauer that encapsulates this team. Instead of bemoaning what has gone wrong or what could have been, the entire team has supported one another on this journey. Of course, a 12th NC would be fantastic, but I would count that as a bonus. This has been a bumpy, but such an enjoyable ride so far.

The poet Novalis declared, "A hero is one who knows how to hang on one minute longer." The starting five will continue to do what they are doing for as long as they have to.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
People who know this dyslexic guy, laughs about the time he spends reading the BY.

I've just have the pleasure of reading an eloquently presented description of this team, this year. A gentle reminder of how our minds should work, a piece by a word Smith.

Thank you Sir!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Heading into today's game, I was reflecting on the course of this season and all that has transpired. I like to take a philosophical perspective on things and one of my favorite Arthur Schopenhauer quotes is "We seldom think of what we have but always of what we lack. Therefore, rather than grateful, we are bitter.

Heading into the season before the onslaught of injuries and illness, the sky was the limit based on the collective talent of this team. Like many, the coaching staff had to be a little deflated as the injuries piled up. What once looked so promising seemed to be crumbling before their eyes.

Midway into the season, Geno experienced a personal loss and needed a break to recharge, reevaluate and recover. As Schopenhauer stated, "Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things." Since his return to the sidelines, there is a pronounced change in Geno's outlook. He appears more at peace with the circumstances. Like Schopenhauer opined, "It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else." Being around this collection of young women seems to bring this home.

Yes, the perfectionist in him will not suffer the mindless turnovers and faulty execution, but he is prioritizing more of what the team and players are doing well. Regardless if any of the injured players return, the starting five has developed real chemistry and are beginning that late season UConn sprint to the postseason. And who would have expected their collective performances to date.

Aaliyah was expected to improve upon her sophomore year, but very few imagined her playing at an All-American level. Aubrey was a question mark given she missed last year. How would she hold up after back surgery? She is only playing the best basketball of her career. Prior to the start, opinions about Nika stretched around the globe and were as varied as the colors in a Crayola box. However, nobody ventured that she would be leading the nation in assists. It is more than happenstance that the team has four starters (5 counting Azzi) scoring in double digits. There were expectations for Dorka as a 5th year grad student, but averaging a double/double fits nicely on the high end. Lastly, preseason opinions about Lou were mostly positive, but few doubted she would have the type of impact she has had. More importantly, she is improving in areas other than her pristine shooting.

This isn't the team we expected, but it has become the team we love. Listening to the coaching staff in interviews and pressers, you hear their pride and satisfaction in what these ladies are accomplishing. "To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence" is another quote by Schopenhauer that encapsulates this team. Instead of bemoaning what has gone wrong or what could have been, the entire team has supported one another on this journey. Of course, a 12th NC would be fantastic, but I would count that as a bonus. This has been a bumpy, but such an enjoyable ride so far.

The poet Novalis declared, "A hero is one who knows how to hang on one minute longer." The starting five will continue to do what they are doing for as long as they have to.
Well done,and thoroughly researched piece. Thanks, @Surly1 . Pretty uplifting message, especially considering that the quotes are largely from a thinker who is generally thought to be a pessimist! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great post. My appreciation and love of this team is really unlike any other. They are such great personalities and they have been through so much without complaint or self pity. I have to admit that I would cringe when Aaliyah got the ball last year. Now I am amazed at new moves she has almost every game. What the heck happened to her over the summer? The same with Nika. She is already one of the best pure point guards in the country and is still developing. I always was a huge fan of Aubrey and now we are all seeing her talent and she is still developing as well. As for Lou, when she gave Morrow the "what for" it was love at first reading of the lips for me. Dorka is a worker and a solid fixture. You don't think she is having a good game and you look at the stats and her across the board numbers and you are blown away.

Above all else, it's the way they play together. It's an art form. An athletic ballet with a ball. If you haven't seen them live don't miss them. I think courageous is the best word to describe them. Since we are quoting, I love this one by TR "Courage is not having the strength to go on, it's going on when you don't have the strength".

Finally, I thought last year was Geno's best coaching job ever. If we get to keep the string alive this year, this will be it for me. Just nonpareil in my mind.

Reaction Score
the starting five has developed real chemistry and are beginning that late season UConn sprint to the postseason.

This isn't the team we expected, but it has become the team we love.
These are my favorite lines in what you wrote. That transformation of the team in preparation for the late season sprint to the postseason is a beautiful thing to witness. Over the summer, we imagined it playing out quite differently, which makes this surprising version of the transformation especially satisfying to watch.

Reaction Score

All I gotta say is Bravo....
The Rock Applause GIF

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I concur with all that this is a great post.

RA Lafferty wrote a short story called "The Worlds of If." The protagonist invented a quasi time machine that allowed people to see how their lives would have gone had one decision or event been different. It was a fascinating story, and in my youth opened my eyes to how a lot of people live in the World of If, and that can have a really negative effect on a person. I learned to appreciate the hand that's dealt to me.

This team is doing just that. I haven't heard any team member say, "If we had Paige" "If Azzi was healthy". . . They've said things like "Our roles have changed," "Look what Lou's done," "Geez, isn't Aaliyah amazing," "Everybody eats," "The word for the day is 'goggles" . . . Geno and the staff and the team have lifted each other up. They're not waiting for next season.

I haven't doubted this team for a minute, even in the preseason. I can't wait for today's game. This is a fun bunch to watch.

Reaction Score

I'm all the way with Schopenhauer.

Reaction Score

I seldom read long posts for a number of reasons, but I read this one and found it absolutely captivating, uplifting and beautifully on-target. Thank you.

vaeman

CT transplant to DMV
Reaction Score

Bravo sir!!

What a great post. It’s so easy to get caught up in the immediate game time emotions. This is a nice reminder of the bigger picture. Go Huskies !!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom