Amida--rebounding | The Boneyard

Amida--rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about Amida's offense--he only needs to score 10-14 points a game--he has already proven he can do that.

And hes already a great rim protector and could get even better with just a tad bit of strength.

But for him to make the big time move--he HAS to become a big rebounder. He has the length the hands and he plays hard. What he has to do this offseason is learn how to balance his shot blocking with rebounding. Instead of lunging--just go straight up and don't try to block it with emphasis--just lock on to the ball to keep it in play--perhaps learning how to tap the block to himself. When he does NOT over commit to a blocked shot--it keeps him in rebounding position. Too many times he over commits and finds himself on the outside looking in. He needs to play straight up and learn to keep his footing--to keep away from the lunge--to keep away from trying to block too many shots. Get the one's he can keep his position for others and get the rebounds. Thats what will make this team great.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Imagine how much he would score if he could get offensive rebounds.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm not worried
Scrappy not worried? Amida not worried.
TbQZs5f.gif

Reaction Score
Yes. And I think KO was getting frustrated with him towards the end of the season because of his lack of rebounding. Im sure the coaching staff has told him multiple times what he needs to do. I always thought that Calhoun would whip Brimah into shape real fast. He couldnt stand when players left their feet when playing defense.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes. And I think KO was getting frustrated with him towards the end of the season because of his lack of rebounding. Im sure the coaching staff has told him multiple times what he needs to do. I always thought that Calhoun would whip Brimah into shape real fast. He couldnt stand when players left their feet when playing defense.
Yeah his minutes diminished as the season came to an end. He has improved each year but needs to be more aggressive and bully kids. He seems like the type who will work hard to get better on his own. One thing is that with his body type it doesn't seem like he'll be able to add more weight

Reaction Score
Love me some scrappy in the morning. But if AB was to get more rebounds he cannot commit himself to the blocked shot every play. It puts him into a poor position for a board. So his rim protector numbers would likely drop. If I remember correctly, great Huskies like EO also struggled with this early on but we're eventually able to concentrate on getting rebounds and only taking the blocked shot position when it would be in a good rebounding position already. Lesson: it's hard to do both and you really have to be a special player like EO.

Reaction Score
He needs to just get smarter in all facets of the game, somehow. He's a shot blocker so he is going to be out of position when he's trying to do that, but when he's not blocking shots he's clueless as to how to read when someone is shooting the ball, when to begin to box out, positioning one's self to have the advantage to rebound, wide base to box out and all the other little nuances which make a good rebounder. And to top it off his hands are always low and very rarely ready.

Long way to go here but if he gets 8/9 a game our Huskies become a lot better and he should be getting that many even as skinny as he is.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another post there is no way 6'2" guards should be out rebounding him when he has position down low. He needs to work on strength conditioning in the off season. He seems to be a bright kid who gets lost on offense and defense at times due to being too emotional and not playing smart. Though I think the biggest reason he can't impact games is just a lack of strength as his game is down low and he just isn't condition for it right now. I hope the kid works on this in the off season a lot since he will have a good shoulder. He needs to work on below the waist conditioning also so he can keep his position down low.

Reaction Score
Meh, I really think it's his physical size and strength that makes the biggest difference. And I don't see him getting EO or Hash size. If Brimah weighted 250 (as opposed to the 220 he probably is), he averages 6-7 more rebounds on missed shots a game. He simply can't keep in good position for rebounds on missed shots, and you see how awkward he still is with his body at times on both ends of the floor; I don't think he averages double digits in rebounds in his time here. I think some of us have his ceiling a little high.

Reaction Score
2 keys to him getting more rebounds:

1. Get some meat on his bones
2. Learn not every shot must be blocked

Brimah has the worst upper body strength I've seen on a man his size. Not only his rebounding, but if you guys noticed, he was always getting pushed off the block and taking an awkward fade-away hook shot. If he get his strength up to where his arms don't look like pretzels, he'll be alright.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a long discussion last year about body types and how easy or difficult it is to put on muscle based on that? I don't think Amida could add 30 pounds in an offseason, whereas a guy like Lubin probably put on muscle every offseason with ease.

Reaction Score
He is just too weak relatively speaking for his size. Very weak hands, has trouble holding onto the ball with contact, both offense and defense. Weak lower body. Gets pushed around fairly easy. He may have a body that will be very difficult to add weight and strength. Time will tell. However he can still be a very effective presence on defense blocking and changing shots and on offense with a face up game. But right now he has no back to the basket game. It is ugly.

Reaction Score
Love me some scrappy in the morning. But if AB was to get more rebounds he cannot commit himself to the blocked shot every play. It puts him into a poor position for a board. So his rim protector numbers would likely drop. If I remember correctly, great Huskies like EO also struggled with this early on but we're eventually able to concentrate on getting rebounds and only taking the blocked shot position when it would be in a good rebounding position already. Lesson: it's hard to do both and you really have to be a special player like EO.

Okafor was a dominant rebounder and shot-blocker from day 1. He averaged 12r/40 and 5.4b/40 as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Like it has been mentioned, stop going for blocks all the time. Its a slippery slope because thats a great appeal to Amida. His shot blocking is what has basically put him on the NBA radar, and it def has helped us win games. However, its at the expense of rebounds. He needs to learn that simply putting his hands up in the air will help to alter many shots and him not leaving his feet will have him closer to already being in position to grab the missed shot. Also he just needs to learn how to get position without throwing arms and elbows and picking up silly fouls. Part of that is technique and part of that is getting a little stronger. Hopefully the staff is going to work on the right things in the off season so that he's a better rebounder and makes some better decisions in the heat of the moment.

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of BBIQ and instincts: knowing when to go for the block vs. staying home for the rebound, having a sense for where/how the ball is going to bounce off the rim, and having the confidence to make a decisive leap/grab for the ball at the apex.

He doesn't have those things, and it's not evident how quickly he'll be able to develop them. This is what you get when you have to resort to project bigs.

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of BBIQ and instincts: knowing when to go for the block vs. staying home for the rebound, having a sense for where/how the ball is going to bounce off the rim, and having the confidence to make a decisive leap/grab for the ball at the apex.

He doesn't have those things, and it's not evident how quickly he'll be able to develop them. This is what you get when you have to resort to project bigs.
Sorry when your 7'0" is getting out rebounded by 6'2" guards when he has position it is a matter of strength. I don't know how you can dismiss that he really lacks strength. Nobody is suggesting him to become Arnold S.(LOL) or even Emeka Okafor but he definitely needs some more strength conditioning so he can battle a little better down low.

Reaction Score

This is spot on. Poor positioning, not understanding where to be, trying to block everything.

Against teams with top bigs is when Brimah struggled most. Whenever there were big-to-big screens (see the times he left a Center WIDE OPEN) and big-to-big passing (SMU), Brimah could not adapt. Also, when the good offensive bigs had good post position, Brimah pushed with his arms and hands to get foul calls.

Game tape to reading and the ability to react is most important. Strength will make add some change on the ability to hold the ball and stay strong in position, but he needs to get to the right place first.

Reaction Score
He will be a better rebounder this year. This kid is still learning the game of basketball and he will get smarter with regard to positioning and when to go for a block/rebound. Additionally, he did not have the opportunity to put on size last summer. I'm not saying he will come back looking like Hulk but he should add around 10-15 pounds with solid lifting/dieting. This is something that was prevented by his surgery last offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom