Amida called and had a 'players only' meeting | The Boneyard

Amida called and had a 'players only' meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So glad to hear Amida stepping up. Apparantly he called on the team to be unselfish and not worry about 'after season' meaning NBA and stuff.

Regardless of how they fare in Maui, to see his leadership emerge along with his concern about the status of the team is great. More importantly not getting caught up in the vacation thingy (i.e. focus). He has a ring and played with a great leader in Bazz, so he knows a little something about leadership.

The result I want to see tonight is full effort! Linky

Reaction Score
So far I have not seen lots of selfish behavior on the court. I've seen bad shooting by everyone. Lousy decision making by Purvis. Horrible hands by the bigs. I like that Amida is rallying the troops..and maybe that's all this is, but I don't think selfishness is our problem.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So far I have not seen lots of selfish behavior on the court. I've seen bad shooting by everyone. Lousy decision making by Purvis. Horrible hands by the bigs. I like that Amida is rallying the troops..and maybe that's all this is, but I don't think selfishness is our problem.
Larrier has put up a lot of bad takes and missed the extra pass quite a bit. Now often times that has been Purvis who was open, and maybe its lack of confidence with Rodney's shooting, but there have been some moments.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Behind @mauconnfan I may be one of the bigger Brimah detractors for his on the court basketball play.

That being said, nobody can question the kids heart, how hard he plays and the pride he takes in UConn hoops. Not to mention he'll always have his St. Joe's moment.

Glad to hear he's taking on a vocal leadership role with these guys.

No matter what happens the kid is a winner.

Reaction Score
if everybody on the team plays with the same spark brimah had @LMU this has a chance to be a good tournament for us. he's obviously not a perfect player, but it really didn't seem like anyone wanted the win more than him on thursday. we need the leadership.

Reaction Score
Good for Amida.

I have been on only one team that had a player's only meeting. It was a talented team that had bad chemistry and never really got fixed. Sometimes the makeup of a team just doesn't work. Hopefully, this is not the case here.

Reaction Score
Behind @mauconnfan I may be one of the bigger Brimah detractors for his on the court basketball play.

That being said, nobody can question the kids heart, how hard he plays and the pride he takes in UConn hoops. Not to mention he'll always have his St. Joe's moment.

Glad to hear he's taking on a vocal leadership role with these guys.

No matter what happens the kid is a winner.

Fair statement other than behind mau...you're right there! ;) all good

Hey huge time for him, bad first game followed up by one solid and one really good. I mean if he is playing like the last 2 games and others are stepping up it's a success so it's not on him at all. And this is a he sign of maturity making the call on this meeting. Good for him, despite what some may believe I am rooting for the kid to finish as we expected at some point he would.

Reaction Score
I see younger players deferring to older players and it feels like "it's their turn". Too many extra passes, passing on open looks for contested Shota. It has to change.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he a captain as a sophomore? I like hearing this, if you watch ab during the game he is always pointing where his teammates mess up on defense. We need leadership like that, helps the team police itself out there.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he a captain as a sophomore? I like hearing this, if you watch ab during the game he is always pointing where his teammates mess up on defense. We need leadership like that, helps the team police itself out there.

Let's not get crazy with him telling people where to be on defense. They should all police themselves in that case LOL

Reaction Score
Larrier has put up a lot of bad takes and missed the extra pass quite a bit. Now often times that has been Purvis who was open, and maybe its lack of confidence with Rodney's shooting, but there have been some moments.

Aside from a few late clock 3's, he's shooting pretty well even on some of this quicker or more selfish shots (55% on 2s currently). I can certainly live with "my best offensive scorer is taking slightly aggressive shots."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I also fear that selfishness and effort are not the problem. At least those would be easy to fix.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Aside from a few late clock 3's, he's shooting pretty well even on some of this quicker or more selfish shots (55% on 2s currently). I can certainly live with "my best offensive scorer is taking slightly aggressive shots."
Slightly aggressive sure, but when there is a clear mismatch on the floor or a guy is wide open and you don't make that pass in lieu of a contested one on one take it will eventually destroy your ball movement. Its contagious.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I don't know what is meant when said he is not talking "NBA and stuff" With the years behind him, championship teams he should be a force.
Dominant. I met him in Atlantis. First impressions are lasting ones. What a great kid. I have never seen a player smile as much as him. Not only scoring but on bench. You cannot argue his excitement. But he should be showing up better. He has the same bad habit of other UConn big men. This makes me cringe. You block a shot into Row 20. The crowd goes wild. Me? . Why? The other team keeps the ball and scores. There are good people in the Yard that do research. The info is great. I wish I had the patience to do research on how many times teams score off the block. Why not slam the ball to the other side of the court. Loose ball. 1) we go grab it for a fast break 2) get possession. If the other team recovers it.....so what? They would of kept possession anyway off the block. There were many posts about a big man coach. I wonder if that would of helped.

He is a great kid. Outstanding cheerleader. Just like the movie Dodgeball. "You got to get meeeeannnnnnn....you got to get angryyyy!!!"

Reaction Score
I think we underestimated that it takes time for a fairly new team to gel. The game at LMU it seemed to be coming together. I Think the biggest key is Purvis shooting better. I mean he cant possibly shoot any worse then he has. Facey looked better, Vital is gonna be a Austrie 2.0. Enoch baffles me he seems to have no defensive instincts. I want to see Vance get more minutes. Lets turn the season around tonight. Still have faith in my Huskies. Win tonight beat NC and were back on track.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't know what is meant when said he is not talking "NBA and stuff" With the years behind him, championship teams he should be a force.

That was something Amida admonished other players on the team not to think about.

Reaction Score
Wasn't this meeting called before the LMU game and we were still outplayed by a low-major? I'm mean I'm glad he called the meeting and being a good leader but doesn't seem like anything was different except the opponent was worse than the other two.

I hope now that their playing a running team they can use their athletic ability to score some points and get some fast breaks baskets and Rodney can hit a few threes.

Reaction Score
We were not outplayed by LMU, even with the injury to Gilbert, we were not outplayed.

Reaction Score
When I saw Amida play his first few games as a freshman, I was convinced he was going to be the best, and most athletic, 5 we've ever had. Would love to see the light suddenly go on for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom