Amida Brimah | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He doesn't have finesse or strength at getting to the basket.

However it appears he has a decent near basket game. Every time he shot I'm thinking no, and of course he disappointed me by making them. He doesn't need the finesse of Okafer or the strength of the Kentucky players if he's that effective in those shots.

You can tell the staff wants to get him the ball and take the shots. It will be interesting to see what happens as opposing coaches scout this aspect of his game and set up defenses to stop it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
His post game could be scary junior or senior year. Right now he just has great touch. Once he develops some footwork and more strength he is going to be really, really good. Add in the fact that he's a great FT shooter and he can really be a star in both college basketball and the NBA.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Im more concerned with his lack of rebounding prowess than anything else.

Reaction Score
I honestly would like to see the guards get him the ball more in the post. He had 3 fluid jump hooks from the low post, fed Boat for a nice baseline reverse layup, and then sized up his defender and drilled a midrange jumper in his face, he looked great out there. Also like the fact that he's not always committed to going up with a shot, when Nolan gets it the ball its never coming back out but Brimah has shown since last year that he's a willing passer from the blocks. That can open up things for the guards/wings.

Reaction Score
His offensive efficiency has been beyond excellence. He is 11-16, 68%, from the field.

A few more rebounds would be nice. But it's tough to complain when he continues to block and change shots. And has really upped his offensive game.

Reaction Score
somewhat related, the kid Baru from CoC was really good. We need to find a couple like him

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
On the offensive end part of AB's problem with rebounding is his long arms. They're easy to pin. But he'll start getting calls for this. He got one yesterday. AB, Facey and DHam all have the ability to slide into position for rebounds on the offensive end. I expect as the season progresses they will get a lot of put backs between them.

On defense, it becomes a matter of knowing who is going up for blocks and who should rebound. With Facey and DHam on the team going for defensive rebounds, I'd prefer AB continue his shot blocking at the expense of rebounds as long as he does it under control. His length and jumping ability really can alter games on defense.

Reaction Score
Brimah triple thread into jumpshot was anthony davis like. dead ass no exaggeration. as i noted he is establishing post position much CLEANER and in a smooth fashion, he should be able to go off on a small front line like dayton. Dayton isn't shy about doubling, they might double him immediately. Brimah is a very apt passer so i'm excited to see what happens

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He's definitely made a jump this year. Just needs to work on avoiding dumb fouls and get stronger in the off-season. He's going to be dominant next year (assuming he doesn't go pro).

Reaction Score
Brimah triple thread into jumpshot was anthony davis like. dead ass no exaggeration. as i noted he is establishing post position much CLEANER and in a smooth fashion, he should be able to go off on a small front line like dayton. Dayton isn't shy about doubling, they might double him immediately. Brimah is a very apt passer so i'm excited to see what happens

Yea I agree with you about the AD comment, I hope nobody reads that and jumps off the deep end and thinks we're saying he's on his level but even the way he's been going up for lobs and trying to dunk all of them(he tried to go through that one defender yesterday in the 2nd half) is AD like. He's got some quick hops for a guy his size.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Because of our defensive scheme, Brimah's never going to be a huge rebounder. His job is to challenge every shot within 10 feet of the hoop, and going out for the block takes him out of rebounding position.

It's a trade-off, and it's why our guards have had to drop low to come help out on the glass. If Facey can pick up more of the slack, then Boat, Purvis or whoever will have more of a chance to leak out and get into transition.

Reaction Score
somewhat related, the kid Baru from CoC was really good. We need to find a couple like him

Baru was a top 50 recruit who chose Charleston over UNC. His host brother was offered in a package deal when he was not a D1 talent.

Reaction Score
Because of our defensive scheme, Brimah's never going to be a huge rebounder. His job is to challenge every shot within 10 feet of the hoop, and going out for the block takes him out of rebounding position.

It's a trade-off, and it's why our guards have had to drop low to come help out on the glass. If Facey can pick up more of the slack, then Boat, Purvis or whoever will have more of a chance to leak out and get into transition.

Brimah is a crappy rebounder because he doesn't control the ball in the air and he has poor instincts. He's a good shotblocker and he's blossoming into a strong scorer, which means he'll be a very valuable player, but he's not a good rebounder for reasons that have nothing to do with defensive schemes. Okafor and Thabeet managed to rebound very well while blocking loads of shots. Brimah doesn't appear to have that skill. I don't see the need to absolve every player of their weaknesses.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't see the need to absolve every player of their weaknesses.

I don't see the need to harp on players weaknesses while giving short shrift to their strengths. That's just plain gery.

Reaction Score
Brimah appears a lot stronger this year to me. In the past he was plagued with a lot of missed rebound opportunities, dropped balls, balls that were stripped, etc... nice to see him making a positive leap. He reminds me of Thabeet.

Reaction Score
I don't see the need to harp on players weaknesses while giving short shrift to their strengths. That's just plain gery.
You want to try reading my post again, then?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Amida is so long and slender that he has trouble absorbing contact and still being able to jump for rebounds. Too much effort goes into trying to hold his ground. I am concerned that he can be neutralized inside by bulkier, stronger players. But, having said that, those 3 blocks were things of beauty. I too would like to see him get the ball inside more and work on getting more fluid in backing down defender and getting a little closer to the hoop for little baby hooks. It is weird that he is often not jumping when he puts up those sort of hook shots.

The biggest thing for Amida (IMHO) is the need to calm down, keep his arms up, and stay in the game. There will be some teams that will kill us if AB and PN both are on the pine for so much of the first halves of games. AB just needs more experience and hopefully will keep gaining weight without losing athleticism.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You want to try reading my post again, then?

Just a "good" shotblocker? His 3 block stretch turned the game around and led to a double digit win. And you want to rag on his rebounding.

Reaction Score
The best thing about AB is he came to us with no bad habits (like Thabeet's penchant for bringing boards down in traffic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom