Americup Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Americup Thread

Reaction Score
Canada defeats the Dominican Republic 90-53. Despite the easy outcome, Canada as a team shot poorly. Only two players scored in double figures - Konig with 23 pts on 8-10 shooting, and Amihere with 17 pts on 7-12 shooting. The rest of the team shot 20-60 (33.33%) for the game......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She isn't. The motor in her seems to be stalled and she doesn't have point guards to set her up to finish plays. Team isn't playing to her strengths.
I have only watched the highlights of Canada’s games. What I noticed in the times when Aaliyah was in, is that she was working hard in the paint, calling for the ball and no one was getting her the ball. I think if that happens enough, it can really sap the energy from a player. In UConn’s offense, Aaliyah would most definitely receive an entry pass or two or three.

Reaction Score
I've watched most of every one of Canada's games. AE is a force when in there but rarely has a pass thrown into the paint. Canada, at least to my eyes, never uses a pick and roll or a high-low post. Talented team, several players can score but not a lot of cohesion. Probably still the 2nd best team. If you judge AE's success just by scoring then she is having a terrible series. Just remember she is the youngest player and the others have likely had some years together to meld.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've watched most of every one of Canada's games. AE is a force when in there but rarely has a pass thrown into the paint. Canada, at least to my eyes, never uses a pick and roll or a high-low post. Talented team, several players can score but not a lot of cohesion. Probably still the 2nd best team. If you judge AE's success just by scoring then she is having a terrible series. Just remember she is the youngest player and the others have likely had some years together to meld.

She's 39% from the field, 0-4 from three, 4/8 from the line, and is 9th in efficiency.

Reaction Score
USA defeated USVI 97-46. Hillmon-Baker led the US with 17 pts, Berger and Cunane scored 13 pts each, and A. Boston scored 12. Alexis did play in the game but don't know if she and Aliyah were on the same floor at the same time...
They were on the floor at the same time and guarded each other. Aliyah actually blocked her sister's jump shot.

Reaction Score
I have only watched the highlights of Canada’s games. What I noticed in the times when Aaliyah was in, is that she was working hard in the paint, calling for the ball and no one was getting her the ball. I think if that happens enough, it can really sap the energy from a player. In UConn’s offense, Aaliyah would most definitely receive an entry pass or two or three.
Canada guards are all looking to get their own shots. They rarely feed the post players. I don't know if that is by design or not. Amihere is having a little more success because when she gets the ball she seems better at creating her own shot than Edwards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The "pace and space" offence is geared towards penetrators and shooters. Pellington, Amihere and the shooters are thriving and they are winning.

The other bigs are saying they know their role on defense, and are discovering their role in the offense. Coach does seem to take note of it.

Going to have to shoot well beat Puerto Rico and the U.S.

Reaction Score
She isn't. The motor in her seems to be stalled and she doesn't have point guards to set her up to finish plays. Team isn't playing to her strengths.
The guard play has been a little frustrating to watch, however it shouldn't be surprising considering who is on the roster based on their playing styles in the NCAA. It would be a lot different if Nurse and Gaucher were playing, along with Langois (who recently retired).

Tonight's game will be interesting. The offense has to be much more consistent and the ball protection has to be a lot better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Doug Bonjour piece on Edwards at the Americup:

I don't think she is playing well enough to get a spot on the Olympic team at present. Last 2 games to boost her prospects. It is clear they like her perimeter defense and motor but Amihere seems to have the lead if it came down to a choice imho.

Reaction Score
I don't think she is playing well enough to get a spot on the Olympic team at present. Last 2 games to boost her prospects. It is clear they like her perimeter defense and motor but Amihere seems to have the lead if it came down to a choice imho.
It's not going to be easy and with 4 players not there, it adds to the challenge. I'm rooting for her regardless.

Another question is the health of Achonwa with the MCL sprain. How long does Canada Basketball keep a spot open for her? The Lynx reported that she's out for several weeks. Makes me nervous and sad at the same time because of all her contributions to Canadian basketball.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Canada lost to Puerto Rico tonight. Edwards had 3 points on one shot, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists in 8 minutes.

Canada plays Brazil in the 3rd place game tomorrow.

Was a struggle for the US as well but they make it to the gold medal game.

Reaction Score
I guess everyone thinks the world of Canada's coach but I don't. The team has no idea what a pick and roll is and AE was WIDE open several times during her 8 minutes with no one on the team having any idea what to do. They were down 6 when she went in and up 3 when she went out. Duh.

Reaction Score
I guess everyone thinks the world of Canada's coach but I don't. The team has no idea what a pick and roll is and AE was WIDE open several times during her 8 minutes with no one on the team having any idea what to do. They were down 6 when she went in and up 3 when she went out. Duh.
The same with Brazil's coach, it seems as if all International teams feel the only way to play is shoot three's. The NBA has become the same way. Some of the WNBA teams realize inside out is better. Seattle, Minnesota, Phoenix, Chicago, Washington, Los Angeles, Connecticut. The women play a smarter game.

Reaction Score

1) I do (and don't) understand how you are getting that impression. At the same time, any coach who has gotten the Canadian women's team to would most likely get the same treatment.

The women's team from what I recall has gone through a huge rebuild to get back to what it was in the early 80s. There are a lot of people, including myself who don't fully understand how good the program could have been if there was the interest in the game that there is now, back then.

With the interest in women's basketball growing in Canada, you have a lot of fans who are just learning the history or and the game itself. It will take some time before fans will have a different level of expectation.

2) I agree with respect to Aaliyah's usage in this game and the strategy. I thought the team was functioning better during a portion of the first half while she was on the court. There was a bit of inside-out where ball movement was good, including her assist for a 3. There was a drive where she led the team down, dished out to another team mate who had a better shot, which they converted. Like how Coach Staley stuck with the line up that was working during the 3rd quarter of the USA/BRA game, what would have been the harm in keeping that line up going?

Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere came off the bench the entire tournament and was 7th in minutes per game with 18.2 mpg for Canada, but led her team in points/game (13.0 ppg - good for 8th overall for all teams), rebounds/game (7.7 rpg - 11th overall), blocks/game (1.0 bpg - 9th overall), total FG% (.500 - 4th overall), and efficiency (16.0 epg - 7th overall). And was also 5th in steals/game (1.0 spg - 23rd overall). Can't see her not making the national team, if this tournament has any bearing.

If the coaching schemes specifically took away clear scoring opportunities from Edwards and other pure post players, certainly that has to be taken into account for the final team roster determination.......

Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere came off the bench the entire tournament and was 7th in minutes per game with 18.2 mpg for Canada, but led her team in points/game (13.0 ppg - good for 8th overall for all teams), rebounds/game (7.7 rpg - 11th overall), blocks/game (1.0 bpg - 9th overall), total FG% (.500 - 4th overall), and efficiency (16.0 epg - 7th overall). And was also 5th in steals/game (1.0 spg - 23rd overall). Can't see her not making the national team, if this tournament has any bearing.

If the coaching schemes specifically took away clear scoring opportunities from Edwards and other pure post players, certainly that has to be taken into account for the final team roster determination.......

1) The tournament does have some bearing but I can't see her not making the squad regardless. Her play in Belgium (8 minutes of) and her play this season, especially during the tournament made an impression too. If she doesn't make the squad, I'll be shocked and really ticked (to put it politely).

2) Not sure what the coaching schemes were, but I would like to see both Edwards and Amihere make the squad. The Canadian squad is top heavy with veterans who aren't as athletic, especially in the forward position. I get experience is important, but players who can keep up or push the pace are important too. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
1) The tournament does have some bearing but I can't see her not making the squad regardless. Her play in Belgium (8 minutes of) and her play this season, especially during the tournament made an impression too. If she doesn't make the squad, I'll be shocked and really ticked (to put it politely).

2) Not sure what the coaching schemes were, but I would like to see both Edwards and Amihere make the squad. The Canadian squad is top heavy with veterans who aren't as athletic, especially in the forward position. I get experience is important, but players who can keep up or push the pace are important too. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
Brazil is even worse, about 8 of their players are 29 or over, they really need to bring in some youth. They also have 2 who are 26, and Kamilla who is 20.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom