American This Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

American This Year

Reaction Score
You just named 4 of the top 5-6 teams in the country. Not sure what your point is there... I'm not arguing UC has that type of "talent."

re: Adams, Gilbert and Larrier
Definitely a talented core, but I completely disagree that they are in a different orbit talent wise. It seems you are defining talent as NBA potential. Those guys aren't the top NBA prospects at their respective positions in the AAC. And to your point about those guys not being close to their ceilings while others are (namely UC). Adams and Larrier are old juniors (both will be 22 before conference play). The other top juniors in conference: Jacob Evans (20), Markis McDuffie (20), Shake Milton (21), Jarrey Foster (21), Tacko Fall (22). Age isn't everything but it matters for development (and remaining potential) that they are older than their peers...

I definitely disagree with you here. As for Adams, he is the same age as Kemba was during his junior year. It's not a very old age.

Larrier, by the way, was a top draft lottery pick in the range of mocks prior to his injury.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
This is a 3 bid league with an outside chance at 4. I think Wichita and Cincinnati get 4 or 5 seeds and a third team gets a 7-10 seed. We may be able to sneak in a 4th in the last four in.

Also should be noted that the conference tournament is back in Orlando and with UCF actually being somewhat relevant it could be a chance for them to get in the tournament (by either winning it or knocking off Wichita/Cincinnati and sneaking in the bubble).

Reaction Score
I definitely disagree with you here. As for Adams, he is the same age as Kemba was during his junior year. It's not a very old age.

Larrier, by the way, was a top draft lottery pick in the range of mocks prior to his injury.

Kemba was 20 as a junior.

Maybe my point was muddied a bit. I'm not trying to say that Adams and Larrier don't have room to grow as player as they most certainly do. But the assertion that the UConn guys aren't close to their ceilings, yet guys like Evans, Cumberland, McDuffie, Foster, etc. are maxed out is really reaching...

Reaction Score
Kemba was 20 as a junior.

Maybe my point was muddied a bit. I'm not trying to say that Adams and Larrier don't have room to grow as player as they most certainly do. But the assertion that the UConn guys aren't close to their ceilings, yet guys like Evans, Cumberland, McDuffie, Foster, etc. are maxed out is really reaching...

Yep, I was wrong on Kemba, but you tacked on an extra year to Adams. Regardless, this is what makes things interesting. Adams and Larrier were very highly ranked recruits because of their top abilities. I think Cincy's players also have room to grow, but if Adams wasn't on such a bad team last year? He would have gotten many more accolades. I'd take him over Shake Milton! Absolutely. As for Larrier, I'll say it again. No other AAC player last year was considered a lottery pick.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yep, I was wrong on Kemba, but you tacked on an extra year to Adams. Regardless, this is what makes things interesting. Adams and Larrier were very highly ranked recruits because of their top abilities. I think Cincy's players also have room to grow, but if Adams wasn't on such a bad team last year? He would have gotten many more accolades. I'd take him over Shake Milton! Absolutely. As for Larrier, I'll say it again. No other AAC player last year was considered a lottery pick.

Where was Larrier considered a lotto pick?

Reaction Score
He wasn't. He was starting to get mocked back end of the first round.

Really interested to see what Broome can do. We basically passed on him for MAL, and he's getting rave reviews out of Cincy.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
He wasn't. He was starting to get mocked back end of the first round.

Really interested to see what Broome can do. We basically passed on him for MAL, and he's getting rave reviews out of Cincy.
Same. As much as Caupain frustrated me at times, he was the perfect Mick Cronin PG. He never turned the ball over (particularly because he never really tried to make plays) and was steady with the ball. Broome is going to drive Mick crazy imo.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Same. As much as Caupain frustrated me at times, he was the perfect Mick Cronin PG. He never turned the ball over (particularly because he never really tried to make plays) and was steady with the ball. Broome is going to drive Mick crazy imo.

Don't agree with you much it seems but in this case I do. Mick hasn't had a point guard who makes plays like Broome can. But being a playmaker comes with the turnovers especially since Broome is moving up a step from low D1 to high D1 basketball.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not getting 5 bids. UConn isn't getting one unless it does really well in the non-conference. The league gets no respect inside the committee room regardless of what the results on the court are. Any and all close decisions go to the other conferences.
The conference has done poorly with it's OOC games the past four seasons and UConn has been a major factor with this. Unlike football there are enough games played in bb to determine conference strengths. There is some committee bias favoring whichever conference chairs the committee but overall the biggest problem for the AAC is not winning import OOC games.

Reaction Score

This was after theNike Skills event last year. NBAdraft.net. I know they're not as good as Draftexpress, or whatever, but I believe UConnswag posted it here. I really don't pay that much attention to the Mock services to be honest. If I remember Swag's post, Larrier was not 1-10, but in the teens. Obviously this was all before the season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This was after theNike Skills event last year. NBAdraft.net. I know they're not as good as Draftexpress, or whatever, but I believe UConnswag posted it here. I really don't pay that much attention to the Mock services to be honest. If I remember Swag's post, Larrier was not 1-10, but in the teens. Obviously this was all before the season.

Got ya. He seemed to be pretty damn good before injury the knee.

Hopefully a full recovery this season and he ends up playing professional ball somewhere.

Reaction Score
NBADraft.net statistically is about equal to DraftExpress in terms of correct predictions. Many years their mocks perform better. DraftExpress just had a prettier site and did video so that's why they're the go-to.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is no precedent for this player. Calling him a project would be an understatement - he's more of a science experiment. Human beings aren't supposed to be this big and it often seems, in watching him play, that the outcome is at the mercy of complete randomness. There is a discernible process to his growth that puts UCF, as a mid-major, in the odd position of having to manage a resource that swings a larger hose than anybody else on the floor at all times. It isn't that he's always going to be the best player so much as he's the one with the launch code. By all accounts, he's an extremely bright kid, and he demonstrated growth from year one to year two that allows for hope moving forward. If he can hold up physically, he's capable of doing things - specific things - that are possible at the college basketball but not the pro level due to the absence of defensive three seconds among other things. Whether he does them is anybody's guess - they'll need some luck because a lot of this is a matter of pure instinct that can be the difference between anchoring a dominant defense and fouling out in ten minutes.
I know it's pedestrian of me, but obviously @intlzncster has not read this in detail. It is unlike him to not comment about your choices of phraseology.

Reaction Score

He was 17 on there. Almost positive. He absolutely ripped it up at that camp against top comp

Reaction Score
He was 17 on there. Almost positive. He absolutely ripped it up at that camp against top comp

17 takes him out of the lottery though I believe. I think it's just the first 14 who are lottery.

Reaction Score
NBADraft.net statistically is about equal to DraftExpress in terms of correct predictions. Many years their mocks perform better. DraftExpress just had a prettier site and did video so that's why they're the go-to.

On draft night. All the mocks converge in the days leading up to the draft.

Farther out, you get some real oddball picks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There is no precedent for this player. Calling him a project would be an understatement - he's more of a science experiment. Human beings aren't supposed to be this big and it often seems, in watching him play, that the outcome is at the mercy of complete randomness. There is a discernible process to his growth that puts UCF, as a mid-major, in the odd position of having to manage a resource that swings a larger hose than anybody else on the floor at all times. It isn't that he's always going to be the best player so much as he's the one with the launch code. By all accounts, he's an extremely bright kid, and he demonstrated growth from year one to year two that allows for hope moving forward. If he can hold up physically, he's capable of doing things - specific things - that are possible at the college basketball but not the pro level due to the absence of defensive three seconds among other things. Whether he does them is anybody's guess - they'll need some luck because a lot of this is a matter of pure instinct that can be the difference between anchoring a dominant defense and fouling out in ten minutes.

I know it's pedestrian of me, but obviously @intlzncster has not read this in detail. It is unlike him to not comment about your choices of phraseology.

Didn't read the thread, but good call, champs crushed it with this one. I mean the bold, followed by some of the rest, is double entendre gold. Perfect

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom