American FB Media Day Aug 29-30 in Newport | The Boneyard

American FB Media Day Aug 29-30 in Newport

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
@mattsarz Nearly everyone has their media days between July 21-26 with the American on the 29th-30th for their clambake.

Reaction Score
I take it you mean July 29, since our first game ings August 29, no?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The clambake in Newport is probably on its way out. They'll probably have a 30 pack and microwave burritos outside a Piggly Wiggly down south somewhere.

Reaction Score
American Athletic Conference conducts its media day activities July 29-30 in Newport, R.I @ Hotel Viking

Conference Media Day Date(s) Location
Sun Belt July 15 New Orleans
SEC July 16-18 Hoover, Ala.
ACC July 21-22 Greensboro, N.C.
Big 12 July 22-23 Dallas
MWC July 22-23 Las Vegas
MAC July 23 Detroit
C-USA July 23-24 Dallas
Big Ten July 24-25 Chicago
Pac-12 July 26 Los Angeles
AAC July 29-30 Newport, R.I.

http://www.collegefootballuniverseblog.com/1/post/2013/05/2013-media-days-schedule.html

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You guys know I'm not the most vociferous critic about branding stuff in general, but hosting your media extravaganza in a state where the league doesn't even have a school is a head-scratcher. I know, I know, it's cause they haven't moved the AAC offices out of Providence... but the clambake isn't even in Providence, it's in Newport. #sigh

Reaction Score
Embarrassing, go hold it in Tulsa. That's the stuff you need to market. They don't even have a team in RI

Probably that stupid fool Mauel's idea.

@mattsarz Nearly everyone has their media days between July 21-26 with the American on the 29th-30th for their clambake.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You guys know I'm not the most vociferous critic about branding stuff in general, but hosting your media extravaganza in a state where the league doesn't even have a school is a head-scratcher. I know, I know, it's cause they haven't moved the AAC offices out of Providence... but the clambake isn't even in Providence, it's in Newport. #sigh

I still don't get why we're having our offices in Providence. Is it because we're too poor of a conference after our "mega TV deal" didn't pan out? Anyone know if they plan on staying in Providence long term? It just makes no sense, especially when the majority of member schools are in the South....

Reaction Score
This conference may or may not be a lot of things but poor isn't one of them
BCS, NCAA payouts, and exit fees make this a conference with money enough for promotion.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
In reality, in the summer Newport is arguably the nicest spot anywhere. So, why not go there I guess?

I mean, how much real business is there to conduct? How to split the $500k payouts from the Miltary and Beef O'Brady bowls?

Reaction Score
regardless of what this league is called, it's roots are the Big East.
As long as one founding member is still in this conference, I don't see anything wrong with maintaining it's ties to Providence.

Reaction Score
It doesn't really matter I guess, the league is irrelevant except for maybe a few men's and women's hoops teams. And hopefully they can continue to recruit at a high level

regardless of what this league is called, it's roots are the Big East.
As long as one founding member is still in this conference, I don't see anything wrong with maintaining it's ties to Providence.

Reaction Score
I still don't get why we're having our offices in Providence. Is it because we're too poor of a conference after our "mega TV deal" didn't pan out? Anyone know if they plan on staying in Providence long term? It just makes no sense, especially when the majority of member schools are in the South....

>>The conference will continue to be located in Providence, according to commissioner Mike Aresco. The league's office building on Park Row West, the Gateway Center, has been sold for $13.2 million to Albany Road Real Estate Partners, a Boston real estate firm. The sale does not effect plans to keep the league headquartered in Providence.

"We have no immediate plans to move," said commissioner Mike Aresco of his 40-plus employees. "The building's sale has no impact on us. We have a lease in Providence. At this point we have a good and stable staff and will just continue to do our work."<<

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...0-collegeOld-Big-East-moving-on-as-136993.ece

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
So the league will have its offices in a state that has no league presence?

"We have a lease in Providence. At this point we have a good and stable staff and will just continue to do our work." is code for "We have a crappy TV deal and can't afford to break the lease." And, while I don't want to see anyone lose their job just what is it that the current staff has been good at? How about making a bold move and moving to someplace relevant and overhauling the staff?

Reaction Score
You can keep the same staff if you moved to Eastern Ct and help the economy of a conference member state.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What's important?

Fundamentally ... what we have discovered over time in the BIG EAST FOOTBALL space ... writers LIKE to go to Newport. A rare miss by USF or other local papers. But, in general, the BE football Media Day was always well attended.

That's the point. Arguing mundane technicalities like "we don't have a team there" ... I think Ponte Vedra also gets Media events. No team. See ... the point is to get the writers.

Reaction Score
I heard if we relocated our offices to NY the big 5 would let us in. Still trying to confirm.

Not sure there is anything left to complain about folks. The Debbie Downers continue to dominate the boards.

Less than 3 weeks until the summer sessions and people are concerned about our perfectly functional offices in Providence.

Sure, let's break our lease, spend a mill to relocate, find a new staff and sign a more expensive lease just to look good. More like look dumb.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The least important thing in the history of the world is where a college sports conference gets its mail.

The self-appointed marketing gurus will suggest otherwise, but they're morons.

Reaction Score
If I were in a bad mood, I'd say the media, coaches, et.al., of the entire conference should meet on the other side of the peninsula at Purgatory Chasm, but I'm not in a bad mood.

Newport, RI - the new membership of the conference, media, coaches, et. al. - they're going to like it.

My advice - to anyone that may be interested.. typically you can walk into any place in downtown Newport and get seated and drinking and eating quickly, but this summer, make reservations for the Midtown Oyster Bar, if you want to check out the new place, otherwise you're standing at the bar and waiting for a table for god knows how long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom