American BB Tourney Format... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

American BB Tourney Format...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You think more than an extra 1k fans are buying tix to those games that not many want to see? Isn't that perhaps too generous?

If 9k buy tix for Maryland Eastern Shore, how many are season ticket holders?

As for lux boxes, surely UConn sells them. No? They sell them at the Rent. Who is selling them then?

You're right on $90k gross, should have taken that into account. Then again, how much margin on a $9 beer? 50 cents cost?

No nobody is buying single game tickets to those games generally. They sell some in the three game packs and they print a bunch of comps - this year they were selling the games pre New Years for $10 or $15 I think.

You are underestimating the number of student tickets that they sell for next to nothing. There are at least 1,500 seats in those sections and risers.

I'm pretty sure the XL controls at least the Coliseum Club if not the skyboxes as well. I sit in the CC a few games a year... to call it sparsely attended would be an overstatement. At the Marquette game last year there was maybe 75 people in the whole club and at least 20 of those were comps that a Civic Center employee had access to.

Reaction Score
No nobody is buying single game tickets to those games generally. They sell some in the three game packs and they print a bunch of comps - this year they were selling the games pre New Years for $10 or $15 I think.

You are underestimating the number of student tickets that they sell for next to nothing. There are at least 1,500 seats in those sections and risers.

I'm pretty sure the XL controls at least the Coliseum Club if not the skyboxes as well. I sit in the CC a few games a year... to call it sparsely attended would be an overstatement. At the Marquette game last year there was maybe 75 people in the whole club and at least 20 of those were comps that a Civic Center employee had access to.
I believe the actual student section is 2,000 also.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the lost revenue from an obligation to do a return home game will be at least partially offset by a higher attendance and greater enthusiasm for early season games. It's a new model but there are benefits from it. It will up to Ward and Susie to game it.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is keeping our strength of schedule in the vicinity of where it's always been has to trump the gate revenue from 1-2 cupcake home games each year. It's not a perfect world anymore so something's gotta give.

I don't see the 18 conference games as a bad thing for this coming year. It guarantees that we'll play a minimum of 6 very high quality games in conference play, which compares favorably to plenty of the other conferences. Now once Louisville leaves and our friends from East Carolina and Tulane come aboard, it's a different story.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure UConn pays a lot more than $25-$50K for guarantee games. I think it's more like $100,000 or more. Think about how much it costs to fly a team and put them in hotels. I don't think $25,000 would cover that and none of these teams would play these games if they don't make money.

Anyone know exactly how much UConn offers for guarantee games?
I had to answer my own question. Only things I could find was from 2007 where it says UConn paid between $60,000 and $80,000 for their guarantee games and that in 2006 they "bought" St. Mary's for $90,000. So let's assume it's an average of about $75,000 or so for guarantee games today. Ohio St. paid an average of $96,000 for their guarantee games this past season.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Tix sold. My God, does everything need to be explained? Attendance is meaningless when it comes to money.

Lol. You explain something poorly and then blame others for not understanding you.

This clearly looks like you're referring to ticket prices

14k x $ = Say, $400k on ticket prices alone.

If you were saying $14k per game, you wouldn't have multiplied by a dollar symbol.

Reaction Score
Lol. You explain something poorly and then blame others for not understanding you.

This clearly looks like you're referring to ticket prices.

If you were saying $14k per game, you wouldn't have multiplied by a dollar symbol.

Attendance and tickets sold are two different things.

I was saying $14k per game. That much is obvious.

You think Uconn makes $14k a game?

14k is XLC capacity (or thereabouts).

Reaction Score
I had to answer my own question. Only things I could find was from 2007 where it says UConn paid between $60,000 and $80,000 for their guarantee games and that in 2006 they "bought" St. Mary's for $90,000. So let's assume it's an average of about $75,000 or so for guarantee games today. Ohio St. paid an average of $96,000 for their guarantee games this past season.

Wow, so basketball seems to me even more profitable than football for these schools. Football teams would get $300-350k in that same time frame, but 100+ would travel. Some of these smaller schools play 3 or 4 one offs a year.

Reaction Score
I don't think you understand what a cupcake game is. It's a game where you don't return the favor of a home game.

NEWSFLASH: Uconn will be traveling to SMU, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, UCF and USF next year.
No, I get it. It was a commentary on the quality of the new conference and the conference schedule we now play. Newsflash: SMU, Houston and UCF aren't as good as Pitt, Syracuse and Georgetown. Perhaps it was too subtle for you...

Reaction Score
No, I get it. It was a commentary on the quality of the new conference and the conference schedule we now play. Newsflash: SMU, Houston and UCF aren't as good as Pitt, Syracuse and Georgetown. Perhaps it was too subtle for you...

Uh... I'm seriously not following this, but that's OK. Perhaps it should end.

Mike Honcho

Reaction Score
Attendance and tickets sold are two different things.

I was saying $14k per game. That much is obvious.

You think Uconn makes $14k a game?

14k is XLC capacity (or thereabouts).

Clearly it wasn't obvious. But you do have a knack for belittlement.

Reaction Score
Clearly it wasn't obvious. But you do have a knack for belittlement.

I really don't kn0w what to say if you believe I think UConn makes $14k in revenue for a basketball game. What else do you expect me to say? I didn't put a dollar sign in front of 14k. It blows my mind that you thought I was saying it was revenue!

Reaction Score
$14k tix sold. Not attendance. We are talking about money here, are we not?

I really don't kn0w what to say if you believe I think UConn makes $14k in revenue for a basketball game. What else do you expect me to say? I didn't put a dollar sign in front of 14k. It blows my mind that you thought I was saying it was revenue!
Now you're just confusing everyone. Do less

Mike Honcho

Reaction Score
You are a weird guy. Have you ever lost an argument? I never argued UConn makes $14k a game; I was commenting on how you doubled down and blamed multiple people for not understanding you. It *must* be them.

Reaction Score
You are a weird guy. Have you ever lost an argument? I never argued UConn makes $14k a game; I was commenting on how you doubled down and blamed multiple people for not understanding you. It *must* be them.

I never said you did! Nor did I blame multiple people. This only came up with you. Whaler and I pretty much agreed on the figures ultimately. I was trying to figure out this idea that UConn makes $14k a game. 14k people. Obviously.

Reaction Score
gregauman 1:40pm via Web
American men's basketball tournament (site TBD) will go Wednesday-Saturday, with two games opening night, then 8-team bracket from there.

Where is still TBD:
PaulDoyle11:38pm via web
No discussion of postseason basketball tournament site for The American. That'll come Tuesday but no decision will be made this week.

Confirmation of Season format:
DanWolken 2:10pm via TweetDeck
Not that this was a huge mystery, but I'm told AAC meetings affirmed next year's hoops schedule will be 18 games, double round-robin.

Updated:

DanWolken 2:31pm via Twitter for iPhone
American commish Mike Aresco told me hoops tourney decisions "within next week or two." Targeting men's champ game in usual Sat night slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom