American BB Tourney Format... | The Boneyard

American BB Tourney Format...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
gregauman 1:40pm via Web
American men's basketball tournament (site TBD) will go Wednesday-Saturday, with two games opening night, then 8-team bracket from there.

Where is still TBD:
PaulDoyle11:38pm via web
No discussion of postseason basketball tournament site for The American. That'll come Tuesday but no decision will be made this week.

Confirmation of Season format:
DanWolken 2:10pm via TweetDeck
Not that this was a huge mystery, but I'm told AAC meetings affirmed next year's hoops schedule will be 18 games, double round-robin.

Reaction Score
gregauman 1:40pm via Web
American men's basketball tournament (site TBD) will go Wednesday-Saturday, with two games opening night, then 8-team bracket from there.

Where is still TBD:
PaulDoyle11:38pm via web
No discussion of postseason basketball tournament site for The American. That'll come Tuesday but no decision will be made this week.

Confirmation of Season format:
DanWolken 2:10pm via TweetDeck
Not that this was a huge mystery, but I'm told AAC meetings affirmed next year's hoops schedule will be 18 games, double round-robin.

18 games is a killer. Add in Indy, Florida, Stanford, Maryland, Washington, BC, Harvard, one other tourney game... and UConn is at 25 games already. They'll have fewer cupcakes on the schedule than ever before.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
18 games is a killer. Add in Indy, Florida, Stanford, Maryland, Washington, BC, Harvard, one other tourney game... and UConn is at 25 games already. They'll have fewer cupcakes on the schedule than ever before.

Everyone wants UConn at home more often.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Which is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Didn't we have 18 games?

Yes, but we've already discussed the way Manuel is scheduling more home-and-homes than ever before. In other words, because of the need to ramp up the OOC schedule, there are fewer home games than ever before. Couple that with 18 conference games, and the extra home games get squeezed. I'm guessing this might mean higher ticket prices.

Reaction Score
Yes, but we've already discussed the way Manuel is scheduling more home-and-homes than ever before. In other words, because of the need to ramp up the OOC schedule, there are fewer home games than ever before. Couple that with 18 conference games, and the extra home games get squeezed. I'm guessing this might mean higher ticket prices.
Don't you have to pay for the cupcakes to play us at home? I think that factored in with the amount of tickets sold for those games is a wash... Tickets shouldn't be much higher.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't you have to pay for the cupcakes to play us at home? I think that factored in with the amount of tickets sold for those games is a wash... Tickets shouldn't be much higher.
Nah, they'll just call them conference games now...
Interesting point when you combine these two.

Reaction Score
Nah, they'll just call them conference games now...

I don't think you understand what a cupcake game is. It's a game where you don't return the favor of a home game.

NEWSFLASH: Uconn will be traveling to SMU, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, UCF and USF next year.

Reaction Score
Interesting point when you combine these two.

I think they make good money on cupcake games. 14k x $ = Say, $400k on ticket prices alone. Another $150k on concessions. What do they pay an opposing school? $25k? $50k?

Reaction Score
There's a difference between the financial side and the basketball side.

On the financial side, it's likely harmful that we're not going to have as many home games.

On the basketball side, it's a wash when we're losing games games against the likes of Maryland-Eastern Shore and gaining games against the likes of Tulane.

Reaction Score
I think they make good money on cupcake games. 14k x $ = Say, $400k on ticket prices alone. Another $150k on concessions. What do they pay an opposing school? $25k? $50k?
14k for a cupcake? Are you even a UConn fan?

Also UConn pays $50k for every game in the XL plus whatever they have to pay for the cupcake to come get destroyed. Really don't see this as hurting us financially that much.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure UConn pays a lot more than $25-$50K for guarantee games. I think it's more like $100,000 or more. Think about how much it costs to fly a team and put them in hotels. I don't think $25,000 would cover that and none of these teams would play these games if they don't make money.

Anyone know exactly how much UConn offers for guarantee games?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
14k for a cup cake?

We had 14k for number 1 ranked and eventual big east and national champion Louisville.

Not sure if you have basketball season tickets but attendance for cup cakes is awful.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure UConn pays a lot more than $25-$50K for guarantee games. I think it's more like $100,000 or more. Think about how much it costs to fly a team and put them in hotels. I don't think $25,000 would cover that and none of these teams would play these games if they don't make money.

Anyone know exactly how much UConn offers for guarantee games?

Really? Until a couple years ago, the football schools were only getting $200-400k for sending 100 plus in players, coaches and trainers, etc (not to mention equipment) to games. Wow.

Reaction Score
14k for a cup cake?

We had 14k for number 1 ranked and eventual big east and national champion Louisville.

Not sure if you have basketball season tickets but attendance for cup cakes is awful.

$14k tix sold. Not attendance. We are talking about money here, are we not?

Reaction Score
14k for a cupcake? Are you even a UConn fan?

Also UConn pays $50k for every game in the XL plus whatever they have to pay for the cupcake to come get destroyed. Really don't see this as hurting us financially that much.

Tix sold. My God, does everything need to be explained? Attendance is meaningless when it comes to money.

And I'm glad you think half a million - $50k to Hartford -$100k to the opposition is meaningless for one game!
I bet the AD doesn't think it's meaningless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They sell like 8,000 tickets to cupcake XL games if they are lucky. At an average of $30 it's under a 250k gross. By the time you pay said cupcake and XL it isn't trivial money but we are talking about like 3-4 games.

They publish 11k which includes the band and students and give aways. Based on the published attendance 8k tickets sold is probably generous.

Reaction Score
They sell like 8,000 tickets to cupcake XL games if they are lucky. At an average of $30 it's under a 250k gross. By the time you pay said cupcake and XL it isn't trivial money but we are talking about like 3-4 games.

They publish 11k which includes the band and students and give aways. Based on the published attendance 8k tickets sold is probably generous.

You're looking at attendance. What's the season ticket base?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're looking at attendance. What's the season ticket base?

Non students - I'd guess 7k at XL. Attendance is tickets distributed. There are no sold tickets not accounted for in the announced numbers.

Reaction Score
Non students - I'd guess 7k at XL. Attendance is tickets distributed. There are no sold tickets not accounted for in the announced numbers.

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I know official attendance is based on tix. That's my point. When people say attendance is spare, they don't mean tix distributed. They are talking about bodies in the seats. I'm going to assume season tix are about 8,000. After all, 9,000 showed up for Maryland Eastern Shore. So, my calculations should be based on that. 9k x $30 (doesn't take into account lux boxes or any premium seats) = $270k - $50k rent + another $90k concessions + boxes and premium seats - opposing team take. I'm going to assume about a $250k profit per game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I know official attendance is based on tix. That's my point. When people say attendance is spare, they don't mean tix distributed. They are talking about bodies in the seats. I'm going to assume season tix are about 8,000. After all, 9,000 showed up for Maryland Eastern Shore. So, my calculations should be based on that. 9k x $30 (doesn't take into account lux boxes or any premium seats) = $270k - $50k rent + another $90k concessions + boxes and premium seats - opposing team take. I'm going to assume about a $250k profit per game.

I don't believe UConn gets luxury box revenue at XL.

Your 8k is way too generous as the published attendance is less than 9k for the exhibitions and that includes students and the comps.

I don't know if they get concession dollars but there is no way there is 90k of profit in concessions at a Maryland Eastern Shore game anyway. They might have a 90k gross.

Reaction Score
I don't believe UConn gets luxury box revenue at XL.

Your 8k is way too generous as the published attendance is less than 9k for the exhibitions and that includes students and the comps.

I don't know if they get concession dollars but there is no way there is 90k of profit in concessions at a Maryland Eastern Shore game anyway. They might have a 90k gross.

You think more than an extra 1k fans are buying tix to those games that not many want to see? Isn't that perhaps too generous?

If 9k buy tix for Maryland Eastern Shore, how many are season ticket holders?

As for lux boxes, surely UConn sells them. No? They sell them at the Rent. Who is selling them then?

You're right on $90k gross, should have taken that into account. Then again, how much margin on a $9 beer? 50 cents cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom