American Athletic Conference Preview: Cincinnati, UConn and SMU battle for the crown | The Boneyard

American Athletic Conference Preview: Cincinnati, UConn and SMU battle for the crown

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Not sure why Cincy gets so much love - they traditionally collapse in the tournament and lack firepower.

Reaction Score
i was going to come here and talk about how good octavious ellis is but he isnt even on the team this year, neither is daberry(sp). Everyone knows how good capuain is, the guy looks like an nba all star anytime he faces uconn, and jacob evans is a beast wing...the question is how well do those two match up with Adams, Gilbert, Purvis and Larrier, I think huskies have an advantage here. this should be the year we go all zags on the AAC.

Reaction Score
Not sure why Cincy gets so much love - they traditionally collapse in the tournament and lack firepower.
Well they are one of the best defensive teams annually, and bring back Caupain, who, although I can't stand the guy, is a great player. Also Cumberland is a great recruit, Gary Clark is a fantastic defender and rebounder, and Jacob Evans and Kyle Washington are also great pieces

Reaction Score
this should be the year we go all zags on the AAC.

I thought that was last year?

But seriously, when was the last time UConn won a regular season title? 2006!!!! We have been to the Final 4 FOUR TIMES since we managed to come out on top of our conference season.

Reaction Score
Cumberland is the quintessential Cincy player, he should be great for them. They should have a good team, but will miss Ellis a bunch. Gotta think we're the better team.

Reaction Score
Cumberland is the quintessential Cincy player, he should be great for them. They should have a good team, but will miss Ellis a bunch. Gotta think we're the better team.

Ellis is good but he disappeared a lot too. Kyle Washington can be a very nice player, had the same inconsistency tag so we shall see.

I think overall this summary is fine, a bit of the unknown for us as our guys can finish at 1 but maybe even 4-5? Like that we have expectations but chemistry will make or break the results.

Reaction Score
I believe the key for our season is Terry Larrier, if he can take that next step in his player development and maturation I believe we are looking at a conference title and a sweet sixteen team and possible final four contender.

If Larrier can show the world he is a lottery pick, Uconn is in for a big season.

Let's go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Love Cincy this year. They lost some pieces, especialy Ellis, but to me Clark and Caupain are the best guys on that team. I picked Gary Clark to win AAC POY last year and I will do so again this year. Don't think they have the firepower to be a real contender nationally, but they'll be a top 25 team most of the season, I think.

SMU is a huge question mark.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I thought that was last year?

But seriously, when was the last time UConn won a regular season title? 2006!!!! We have been to the Final 4 FOUR TIMES since we managed to come out on top of our conference season.
3 times. 09, 11, 14.

Reaction Score
3 times. 09, 11, 14.

Yeah my bad, I was pretty worked up just thinking about how long it's been. We were also a number one seed in the tournament without winning our conference in 09. Good old Big East...

Reaction Score
That was Louisville that won both regular season and tournament that year, we went down to Syracuse in the 6 OT game and the BE got three one seeds. Stark contrast to the thrilling AAC selection sundays...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Love Cincy this year. They lost some pieces, especialy Ellis, but to me Clark and Caupain are the best guys on that team. I picked Gary Clark to win AAC POY last year and I will do so again this year. Don't think they have the firepower to be a real contender nationally, but they'll be a top 25 team most of the season, I think.

Clark is a nice player. I have Purvus edging Lawson and Clark

Reaction Score
I believe the key for our season is Terry Larrier, if he can take that next step in his player development and maturation I believe we are looking at a conference title and a sweet sixteen team and possible final four contender.

If Larrier can show the world he is a lottery pick, Uconn is in for a big season.

Let's go Huskies!!

Lottery pick? Talk about overhyping a guy. I would be thrilled if he is just a solid contributor this season.

Reaction Score

We're not really a question mark. I believe we will be better than last year. Of course we'll miss Nic but Shake Milton could lead the conference in scoring and Semi will be a force at the 3/4.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score

Jacob Evans is probably our most talented player. I think we end up with 3 first or second team all league guys in Clark, Caupain and Evans. Our season hinges on how consistent NC State transfer Kyle Washington can be at the 5 spot. Ellis never became the offensive player we hoped but he was the anchor of a very good defense for two seasons.

As for Conference POY, that is Lawson's award to lose. Clark, Caupain, Purvis, Adams (maybe, seems he was only good against us...LOL), Dotson from Houston, Shake Milton and Ben Moore from SMU all in the mix.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We're not really a question mark. I believe we will be better than last year. Of course we'll miss Nic but Shake Milton could lead the conference in scoring and Semi will be a force at the 3/4.

No Larry Brown is a question mark period. The players should mean SMU is solid and competitive, but without Brown there is at least a question about whether they will put it together. Also, Nic was the guy who ran the team. It remains to be seen whether somebody can be that guy this year. UConn didn't have it last year, as Gibbs wasn't that guy and we underperformed our talent.

Cinci will be Cinci. Never easy for anyone to play against. They are an NCAA T team, but not really a threat to break out and make a deep run. Same as always.

UConn should be the best team in the league all season, but we've seen this movie before. Injuries, and explicable losses seem to happen regularly. This team is pretty deep though. UConn definitely has the highest upside and if Adams can run the team as I expect, the potential for a deep run is there.

Reaction Score
No Larry Brown is a question mark period. The players should mean SMU is solid and competitive, but without Brown there is at least a question about whether they will put it together. Also, Nic was the guy who ran the team. It remains to be seen whether somebody can be that guy this year. UConn didn't have it last year, as Gibbs wasn't that guy and we underperformed our talent.

Cinci will be Cinci. Never easy for anyone to play against. They are an NCAA T team, but not really a threat to break out and make a deep run. Same as always.

UConn should be the best team in the league all season, but we've seen this movie before. Injuries, and explicable losses seem to happen regularly. This team is pretty deep though. UConn definitely has the highest upside and if Adams can run the team as I expect, the potential for a deep run is there.
We owe LB the world for what he did to make us relevant and the talent he brought in but his offensive decisions were often questioned. He hated the three ball and we have a team full of three point shooters. Jank loves the three so look for us to shoot a lot more this year.

Reaction Score
Also. remember we went 9-0 last year under Jank while LB was suspended. Our offense will be more fast paced/high scoring and we will still D you up.

Jank currently has the #22 recruiting class the country so no fall off post LB.

Reaction Score

I admire the optimism, but I think this post errs closer to delusional. Better than last year? When you lost Moore, Kennedy, and Tolbert among others? Won't help either that the kid that got you on probation is gone. I mean, it's not even a knock on the current SMU team to think that they won't be near as good as last year. You were really, really good last year, probably even better than the final numbers indicate given the understandable letdown towards the end of the season.

They have some pieces for sure. I think Ben Moore is a really good player and you're right, Milton was impressive as a freshman. Beyond that, though, there are a lot of unknowns - I wouldn't be shocked to see them get into the tournament, but I'd bet against it with a gun to my head. A team like Cincinnati or UConn dances next year barring a complete catastrophe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom