Amateur Scouting Report From B1G Tournament Final: Ohio State vs. Iowa | The Boneyard

Amateur Scouting Report From B1G Tournament Final: Ohio State vs. Iowa

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I looked on YouTube for recent Ohio State games (other than North Carolina) to watch to get a feel for how they played. I found the Big Ten Conference Tournament Final game from a few weeks ago between Iowa and Ohio State. I was mainly interested in watching OSU play against a team that is somewhat similar to UConn. Also, the way the NCAA brackets are shaping up, if UConn gets through the coming weekend by defeating Ohio State and then either Virginia Tech or Tennessee, it seems overwhelmingly likely that UConn's opponent in the National Semifinal game will be Iowa. So the game that I selected gives a look at not one but two likely UConn opponents in the next week and a half.

I actually only watched the first half of the game. It reminded me of the first Mississippi State vs. UConn game in Stewie's senior year -- the "piranha on a roast" game that UConn won 98-38 after a first-half score of 61-12. The score at the end of the first half of Iowa - OSU was 61-24 in favor of Iowa, but it looked just as one-sided. OSU scored so infrequently that their press was not a factor -- I only noticed one turnover by Iowa against the press. OSU's half-court defense was incompetent -- as one example, Czinano scored at least four layups on lob passes from Clark over the OSU defense, which insisted on fronting Czinano even after it was clear they had no answer for the lob passes. I would expect Dorka and Aaliyah to have a field day against the OSU defense. Nika can throw lob passes almost as well as Clark.

From the perimeter, Clark had over 20 points in the first half, plus 8 assists (as I recall). OSU kept going under screens and leaving her open for the split-second that she needed to launch a 3-point attempt. For most of the half, Clark individually was outscoring OSU.

The announcers made an interesting claim about Clark, quoting almost exactly: "Women's college basketball has never seen a player like Caitlin Clark. She scores like Taurasi and sees the floor as well as Sue Bird." UConn fans will quibble with that comparison, but based on this one game, it is plausible.

I now expect a blowout in UConn's favor on Saturday. I think UConn will also get a narrower victory in the Elite Eight over whichever team they play, and then will face Iowa. Based on the way Iowa played in this game, that will be an extraordinary challenge.

Reaction Score
I agree with you about that game. They got beat big time by Iowa. However, keep in mind they were playing their third game back-to-back in the tournament. They beat Michigan and Indiana the night before the Iowa game. They were exhausted.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
likely that UConn's opponent in the National Semifinal game will be Iowa.
Wait, I'm confused (happens way too often). Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn Iowa is on the other side of the bracket (Stanford's) which would match them with SCar in the National Semis whereas if we win out this weekend we should be up against whoever's left standing in Indiana's bracket (Utah, LSU, Nova or the Canes).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Wait, I'm confused (happens way too often). Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn Iowa is on the other side of the bracket (Stanford's) which would match them with SCar in the National Semis whereas if we win out this weekend we should be up against whoever's left standing in Indiana's bracket (Utah, LSU, Nova or the Canes).
You are correct, Greenville 1 vs Seattle 4 and Greenville 2 vs Seattle 3 is the set up for the Final Four.

Reaction Score

I think you are correct.

Greenville 1 plays Seattle 4.
Greenville 2 plays Seattle 3.

Reaction Score
You are correct, Greenville 1 vs Seattle 4 and Greenville 2 vs Seattle 3 is the set up for the Final Four.
Thanks for the clarification. I read the Bracket correctly this year, but one year, a few
years ago, I got the printed bracket (from the web) and that bracket confused me = so
if this were that year, I would have had UCONN vs IOWA....,. It could still happen... in the final!!!!!

Reaction Score
The key to us beating OSU is breaking their press and scoring of it easily and hitting open easy three's. I think we are up for the challenge. I am sure Geno is working on it all week. Ines as I recall is good at breaking the press. Her quickness and ball handling is very good. Keep it in the middle and throw to our bigs.

Reaction Score
Unless you have a Mo Jett, simple ball fakes and timely passes will beat a press, easily. Don’t let them speed you up. Don’t stop your dribble in corners specifically just over half court and the sidelines.

Reaction Score
I looked on YouTube for recent Ohio State games (other than North Carolina) to watch to get a feel for how they played. I found the Big Ten Conference Tournament Final game from a few weeks ago between Iowa and Ohio State. I was mainly interested in watching OSU play against a team that is somewhat similar to UConn. Also, the way the NCAA brackets are shaping up, if UConn gets through the coming weekend by defeating Ohio State and then either Virginia Tech or Tennessee, it seems overwhelmingly likely that UConn's opponent in the National Semifinal game will be Iowa. So the game that I selected gives a look at not one but two likely UConn opponents in the next week and a half.

I actually only watched the first half of the game. It reminded me of the first Mississippi State vs. UConn game in Stewie's senior year -- the "piranha on a roast" game that UConn won 98-38 after a first-half score of 61-12. The score at the end of the first half of Iowa - OSU was 61-24 in favor of Iowa, but it looked just as one-sided. OSU scored so infrequently that their press was not a factor -- I only noticed one turnover by Iowa against the press. OSU's half-court defense was incompetent -- as one example, Czinano scored at least four layups on lob passes from Clark over the OSU defense, which insisted on fronting Czinano even after it was clear they had no answer for the lob passes. I would expect Dorka and Aaliyah to have a field day against the OSU defense. Nika can throw lob passes almost as well as Clark.

From the perimeter, Clark had over 20 points in the first half, plus 8 assists (as I recall). OSU kept going under screens and leaving her open for the split-second that she needed to launch a 3-point attempt. For most of the half, Clark individually was outscoring OSU.

The announcers made an interesting claim about Clark, quoting almost exactly: "Women's college basketball has never seen a player like Caitlin Clark. She scores like Taurasi and sees the floor as well as Sue Bird." UConn fans will quibble with that comparison, but based on this one game, it is plausible.

I now expect a blowout in UConn's favor on Saturday. I think UConn will also get a narrower victory in the Elite Eight over whichever team they play, and then will face Iowa. Based on the way Iowa played in this game, that will be an extraordinary challenge.
You never know which OSU team is going to show up.............they've had some games when they've been pretty impressive.........I certainly hope it's the team you referenced as they should be dominated inside by UConn but I have a feeling it will be a fairly close game............I'll be happy as long as UConn wins and stays healthy doing it!!

Reaction Score
Which tOSU will it be? This is the question. I don’t think it’s so much a matter of Sheldon and Mikesell — they’re constants, like death and taxes — but more of McMahon and Mikulasikova. They can have off days where they take themselves out of the game. McMahon can get in foul trouble. Mikulasikova can get winded. Both of these results seem likely against Aaliyah and Dorka. If these happen, we win big. But if those two play at the top of their game, it will be a challenging game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I now expect a blowout in UConn's favor on Saturday.
Great report Joe..

Another point that I have raising in other threads
is that our gals have yet to reach their full potential
and if they do, there may be no one that can keep up.

Reaction Score
I agree with you about that game. They got beat big time by Iowa. However, keep in mind they were playing their third game back-to-back in the tournament. They beat Michigan and Indiana the night before the Iowa game. They were exhausted.
As was Iowa, having beaten a good Northwestern team and outlasted national-class Maryland.

Reaction Score

Lots of good stuff, here, Joe, and a solid comparison of the Iowa/Ohio State game to UConn/Mississippi State.

Good try by the announcer to compliment Clark, just off target: DT averaged 15 points during her UConn career, playing a far different role for the Huskies than Caitlin does for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa's also in the half with SC, rather than UConn, as others have noted above.

The comparison to Sue seemed plausible to me.

Reaction Score
I finally managed to watch this entire game and I think I see what you saw. We can match up to tOSU more or less as Iowa did, if we play 1 big and 4 guards -- for example, Aaliyah/Dorka and Nika Azzi Lou Caroline/Aubrey. This group can run with tOSU and still outbound them, and even press them if Aubrey is on the court. The one difference I'd note between that game and our game is that Sheldon only played 17 minutes against Iowa. I expect she's fully up to speed now and will play 35-40 mins against us. As a result, I don't expect such a huge blowout, but I think we should see a comfortable margin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom