Amari? Did we forget about her? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amari? Did we forget about her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To me it was never about the skills, it was about the physicality and the toughness. If she progresses in the strength department, which I am sure is being worked on now, we may hopefully see an improvement which can make her a consistent contributor under the basket. We already know that she can shoot. A lot of upside for her.
Suspect she is has the strength. We know she can shoot. At 6'5", if she aggessively defends and goes after rebounds, she likely will get playing time, perhaps starting. If not, the bench can get very hard.

Reaction Score
I really see a big jump from her. I can't see her underperforming in practice like last year. She got a nice buzz cut with a good military style feel and she will live in the gym
I don’t know what Geno means in this statement, but it doesn’t sound encouraging.

The players participating in full workouts:
Paige Bueckers
Lou Lopez Sénéchal
Aaliyah Edwards
Ayanna Patterson
Nika Mühl (who just got cleared from a non-COVID related illness)
Amari DeBerry (Geno says she “comes and goes” in terms of actively participating)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don’t know what Geno means in this statement, but it doesn’t sound encouraging.

The players participating in full workouts:
Paige Bueckers
Lou Lopez Sénéchal
Aaliyah Edwards
Ayanna Patterson
Nika Mühl (who just got cleared from a non-COVID related illness)
Amari DeBerry (Geno says she “comes and goes” in terms of actively participating)
There is a thread on this specific statement...join in the speculation there. :):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So when Did Coach make his comment about Amari "being half there and half not there?" Lets see what he has to say on August 31

Reaction Score
DeBerry seems to be the head cheerleader, mascot and center of the teams social activities and camera shoots. Getting serious about basketball might be in order, unless that is what she is satisfied doing the next 3 years at U Conn. The 15th ranked player last year, who didn't play a minute in Hungary last summer may be on thin ice with Auriemma. Her passive aggression may be wearing on him, where like some others he admits his mistake recruiting her. Hope I am wrong .

Reaction Score
Stymie puts the right question on the table. Does she want it badly enough? BBallF is right too! There is a lot of upside for her! I hope Geno understands that today Big's see a different game, more like Joel Embid of Philly. They shoot 3's, bring the ball up. Like the Jocker they dribble out at the foul line and shoot hook shots off of drives. I expect Amari to be a different kind of big never seen at Uconn before. Let's give her a chance.

Reaction Score
Stymie puts the right question on the table. Does she want it badly enough? BBallF is right too! There is a lot of upside for her! I hope Geno understands that today Big's see a different game, more like Joel Embid of Philly. They shoot 3's, bring the ball up. Like the Jocker they dribble out at the foul line and shoot hook shots off of drives. I expect Amari to be a different kind of big never seen at Uconn before. Let's give her a chance.
We are all in her corner and want her to do well. Everything changes if she plays well.

Reaction Score
DeBerry seems to be the head cheerleader, mascot and center of the teams social activities and camera shoots. Getting serious about basketball might be in order, unless that is what she is satisfied doing the next 3 years at U Conn. The 15th ranked player last year, who didn't play a minute in Hungary last summer may be on thin ice with Auriemma. Her passive aggression may be wearing on him, where like some others he admits his mistake recruiting her. Hope I am wrong .
Are you saying that you think that she is going to bust? And you don't think by her staying at UCONN over the summer won't have much of an impact and she is destined to be a bust?

If she couldn't break into the Hungary lineup, why would we have expected much from her as a frosh? Because she is tall? If she couldn't break into the Hungary lineup it maybe means the recruiting services were wrong (not unusual), and/or that they took future ceiling projections more into account (not unusual) than 1st year level of play.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The way she led the cheers makes me think she will be a leader and confident on the court. She knows what she has to do to play more this season.

Reaction Score
I am saying that her career could go either way. Staying at UConn during the summer,. doesn't mean anything if she is not putting in the work. You answered your own question with the last paragraph, as many schools saw the lack of talent, UConn chose to offer. Auriemma needs her to be a player, as in 2023 he will have no depth behind Brady.

Reaction Score
Leading cheers and knowing what to do doesn't give you talent or make you a leader .

Reaction Score
The Joker would be better off if there was a guard ot bring the ball up.

As far as Embiid, Geno was fine with Dolson taking 3's. He said he would've played Griner different and had her hang on the outside more.

My Knicks won titles with Reed and Lucas as centers. They were competing against bigger centers so they had to have an outside game. Ewing was a bit of a jump shooting center. Parish was more of a jump shooter.

Reaction Score
I am saying that her career could go either way. Staying at UConn during the summer,. doesn't mean anything if she is not putting in the work. You answered your own question with the last paragraph, as many schools saw the lack of talent, UConn chose to offer. Auriemma needs her to be a player, as in 2023 he will have no depth behind Brady.
Your posts are coming across way too harsh imo. When you say “Many schools saw the lack of talent," - ohh man that is harsh. I think many schools wanted her. It's just the expectations of fans I think sometimes gets extreme when a player is tall.

But yes I agree her career could go either way which is why I mentioned the last paragraph. Last year during the summer some fans had expectations she would play when the threads come up about projecting minutes. Then when she doesn't live up to the rankings some posters either go after her a bit or go after Geno for not playing her.

I only replied to your post because of your last sentence prior when you said "I hope I'm wrong." So it seems then your expectations is that she is going to be a bust, correct? Otherwise what were you "wrong" about?

And in 2023, UCONN still has Edwards who also plays center.

Reaction Score
Amari is only a sophomore. She kinda reminds me of Katie Lou. Katie Lou had Geno in fits about her lack of defense and "mixing it up" her first couple years. Amari Will be alright, just give her a chance.

Reaction Score
I have an irrational confidence in Amari. Don’t even bother trying to talk me out of it.
I know what you mean
Amari seems to have all the tools, but not the maturity and dedication required to put it all together on the floor in critical moments.
Geno, who is the person most responsible for bringing her to UCONN, showed little inclination to allow her to play the kinks and flaws out of her game.
I still very much want to see her succeed and be a big part of the front court equation this season.
Amari is, after all, just entering her sophomore year.
They ( yeah, they) say bigs take longer to acclimate themselves to this level of play.
Let’s see if she is the real deal or just another great idea that didn’t pan out.

Reaction Score
It may be as simple as quickness and mobility. A whole lot of tall players don't make it in the NBA because they can't defend the pick and roll. She hasn't had enough playing time for any of us to even see what the problem is. It's not like she knocked down a bunch of 3 pointers last year either. I love her personality but I think she's already behind Ayanna and Ice on the depth chart. I'm still hoping for the best.

Reaction Score
I believe Geno’s statement on her so far this year in practice is that “she comes and goes”.
Is this a lack of concentration? or commitment?
Sounds like sometimes she brings it , then not so much.
Not sure this inconsistency will translate to playing time for Amari.
I don’t think Ice and Ayanna are the types to “wait their turn”.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, I think that Amari has a lot of self confidence as we saw her taking the 3 when she was in the game. However, based upon Geno's comments, she is lazy. So, here she is with the greatest basketball coach and she sits. If she does not dig down and start to become extremely determined, she will sit. And, she will not like it. Gotta stop being lazy and start learning from the chief.

Reaction Score
I watched the video again and one thing stands out, namely that she knows how to shoot quickly without bringing the ball down. That's just instinctive for her I suppose. How many times did we see Olivia and Aaliyah bring the ball down and then get caught by smaller players stripping it or forcing a jump ball? That's not going to be Amari's problem. The question for her, I think, is can she play energetic, ball-hawking defense? I hope so.

I think of someone like Monika Czinano, a bit undersized, but if she gets the ball in the low post, she turns and shoots so quickly that larger players often don't have time to react. Brink does something similar.
Caroline is like this too- she doesn’t hesitate when she gets the ball near the basket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom