Am I the only one who feels like Calhoun doesn't get enough respect from the National Media? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Am I the only one who feels like Calhoun doesn't get enough respect from the National Media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am always amazed when I see guys like Izzo and Calipari rated higher than JC, despite JC's obvious greater level of success and 3 NC's. Objectively, he is a top 5 coach of all time and certainly in the top 2 or 3 among active coaches based purely on his overall body of work. A 4th NC would make him arguably the second best coach in the history of the sport behind only John Wooden.

Reaction Score
I've wrote about this before on this and other boards, but I just don't think Calhoun gets his due from the media and opposing fans. He comes up in the conversation, sure, but he's always grouped in with guys who don't boast nearly the same resume. I mean, think about it, the guy took a job nobody really wanted, and instead of leaving for a sexier job after a brief period of sucess, he stuck with it and built UConn of all places, into a powerhouse. I don't think people understand how much harder of a task it is to build a program from nothing than it is to maintain a pedigree of success at a school who has already enjoyed a lot of it. Sure, other coaches have taken decent programs and made them great, but very few have taken a laughing stock and driven them to greatness.

On paper, Calhoun's resume can match up to pretty much anyones, other than maybe John Wooden's. Over 800 wins, 3 National Championships, a countless number of players in the NBA (many of whom had not been highly recruited), four final fours, and a truckload of sweet sixteens/elite eights. Really, it baffles me that respected college basketball writers can rank him behind guys like Roy Williams on the all-time coaching tree, when Calhoun has MORE WINS and MORE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, while Roy has spent nearly his enitre coachning career at two blue bloods, whom had established greatness long before his arrival. I understand Roy has more final fours (7) and more wins per season (Not sure on that), and I'm not trying to take away from the great career he has had, but to me this isn't even a debate. The same thing could be said for Izzo at MSU, a guy who has won a third as many National Titles at a school who had already experienced success on the national stage.

To me, this lack of respect mostly comes down to Calhoun's personality and his recruiting violations. I still belive the recruiting violations are just a small smear on what has been an unbelievable career. Calhoun though, is not nearly the media darling that guys like K, Roy, Izzo, and even Calipari are.

I think with last years impropable National Title run and countless examples of amazing coaching, it is time people begin to realize that undoubtedly, Calhoun and K are the two best coaches in the game, and it is not unthinkable to start debating as to who is the best. With K's overwhelming advantage in Final Fours and wins, it is hard not to put him #1, or at the very least 1A, but at the end of the day it is all about the trophys, and Calhoun is only one down, and it is starting to look like he might have another shot at a fourth this year or next year, that coming without a quarter of the McDonald's All-Americans that Roy and K have managed to get their hands on.

Calhoun is the perfect guy for this program, and hopefully whoever his successer ends up being can carry on the success and cement UConn's name in blueblood status. Maybe 40 or 50 years from now, Calhoun's extrordinary work will be more appreciated than it is now.

MSU was very pedestrian before IZZo revived them. I'd still take Calhoun over him

Reaction Score
I like Izzo a lot as a coach. If you had to win one game, I'd take him right after I'd take Calhoun (I'd rank him 3rd best active behind Calhoun and K, just ahead of Boeheim and Pitino).

That being said, MSU had a lot more to work with historically (Magic and a title) than UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Coach K and Calhoun are clearly the 1 and 1A of their generation...and the rest aren't too shabby. Right now I think that you have to give K the (very slim) edge. The thing that I wonder about is if Lattner doesn't make that chippy (or if George holds on to the ball) does that flip the two? K has said as much in the past.

K and Calhoun have tremendous personal respect for each other. They are close achievements but head to head, when the stakes are highest, who would you want coaching your team? To me, and really to anyone who watched them go head to head in 99 and 04, the easy choice is Calhoun. That speaks volumes.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
MSU was very pedestrian before IZZo revived them. I'd still take Calhoun over him

Agreed. If we're crediting Calhoun for taking over storrs and making it a basketball mecca in a few years, Izzo is the only other coach that comes close in that regard.

Calhoun doesn't get the respect he deserves because of what others stated before. His disdain for the media. And he doesn't hide it either.

Calhoun's legacy will really be cemented a few years after he's gone. The program will have some growing pains to say the least.

Reaction Score
This will seem biased but last year he surpassed Coach K in my opinion. As mentioned earlier he built our program from scratch. Duke was a solid program before Coach K arrived. The comparison that kills me is when listing great coaches Roy Eilliams' name always pops up before J's. He coached two of the bluest Blue Chip programs and basically underwhelmed for years. Izzo is also a terrible comparison because he has only won it once. I would rather JC compared to Billy Donovan than Williams or Izzo.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but the biggest sports national media station, ESPN, treats Calhoun with the utmost respect... at least most of the basketball analysts. Dick Vitale, Andy Katz and Rece Davis notedly. The latter has defended him on air when no one else in the country would...

Reaction Score
Yeah. I have always wondered why coach Calhoun never gets the love, like Coach K, Billy Donovan, and even Bobby Knight. But I agree with alexrgct; coach is loved and respected by many of his peers, fans, friends, and former players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah. I have always wondered why coach Calhoun never gets the love, like Coach K, Billy Donovan, and even Bobby Knight. But I agree with alexrgct; coach is loved and respected by many of his peers, fans, friends, and former players.
...what's more than that?

Reaction Score
I agree that Calhoun does not get enough respect. I remember watchng PTI back in March and Mike Wilbon said he thought JC didnt get enough credit even with the 2 championships he won, before the third. I dont want to turn this into another "blue blood" thread but i also think Uconn basketball in general does not get the respect from the national media like Duke, UNC, UK, KU, and even Mich St. Here in the state of Connecticut you see fans of all those teams. I have always wondered if there are really true Uconn fans outside of New England??

Reaction Score
Living in and teaching outside of Boston (still NE, but getting to the point), most of the kids are either UConn, Duke, or UNC fans. When I started teaching in 2007-8, there were fewer UConn fans than there are now. I'm not kidding when I say that there are no BC fans. I haven't met or talked to one student that cares for them.

So many students in the area have UConn as their top choice for a school. Not all of it is directly related to basketball for the individual student. But really. nearly all of it is related to basketball in that the programs raised the school's profile significantly.

Reaction Score
I think that if jc coached at duke and k coached at uconn k would be more successful. jc is too abrasive for a dookie, and they would have switched schools to be with k. on the other hand, i think k can get kids to buy into his system much easier. That being said, jc will produce more pros than k because he knows how to get the ready for the next level and k's kids can only play in a system.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

It was a program that had won an NC in recent memory. UConn had never been to a Final Four.

Reaction Score
I think that if jc coached at duke and k coached at uconn k would be more successful. jc is too abrasive for a dookie, and they would have switched schools to be with k. on the other hand, i think k can get kids to buy into his system much easier. That being said, jc will produce more pros than k because he knows how to get the ready for the next level and k's kids can only play in a system.

Both coaches get similar results with different styles. Neither style is "better or worse"; just different

Reaction Score
Here's my take on all this. If Coach K was not so over-hyped by ESPN and the Media and we didn't hate dook so much, I don't think any or at least many of us would even question his greatness as a coach.

It's when you get something shoved down your throat year after year especially during some stretches where K's teams weren't so dominant and/or were suspect and/or over-rated and over-hyped, you begin to devalue his coaching abilities and achievements.

Consider this. We all hate the way he coached his kids to take charges under the basket, but the rules allowed it and they usually executed it well. We hate the way he coaches his kids to flop when taking 3pters but they get a lot of calls that way. It's ugly basketball, somewhat cheapens the game IMO, but when you don't have the athletes to block shots and prevent players from getting to the rim, you coach them to do other things to prevent the opponent from scoring. These are just a couple examples. He's very good at teaching team defense, spread half-court offense, self-confidence, etc.

Now I'm happy with the guy we have. As good a K has been, I would never have wanted him as a coach here. I don't like watching that brand of basketball. There are many reasons why a lot of college hoops fans hate dook, and it's not all because their jealous about their success. A lot has to do with how they achieve that success and how much the media, especially ESPN has pimped them as the greatest program ever.

Getting to our coach, JC is very well respected by the media, but simply isn't liked very much. He's often his worst enemy. He's not warm and fuzzy like Awe Shucks Roy Williams, who only has a candy coating of sweetness. UConn is not a storied program like UK, UNC, KU and UCLA. Although under JC, he has established UConn as a force in college hoops for over 2 decades and a dominant one the past 12 years (3 NCs and 4 trips to -4), he and the program is perceived by many as the bad-boys or maybe better put the tough-guys of college hoops. Of our 3 NCs, only our 2004 team was perceived as the dominating team. Usually UConn's image is a talented team that beats you by out-willing and outworking you, not necessarily by beating you with superior talent you.

Like it or not, the way he has verbally berated his players over the years hasn't won many fans outside of CT. He's mellowed some over the years. The way he's combative at times with the media hasn't helped either. His fast talking Bostonian English doesn't come across as eloquent as some coaches such as Coach K. The illegal recruiting accusations over the years, most unwarranted, have not shed a positive light on JC and our program. Rudy Gay and the Beltway Ballers (well w/in the rules) and the rag-tag all-star team that was put together by Brandon Bass's AAU program (also w/in the rules) didn't help his cause. The Nate Miles fiasco, which I still think to some degree the facts were incorrectly interpreted, ruled upon and sentenced, has given many haters the "see, I told you so!" fuel for all the suspected past but unfounded cheating. Many haters look at little our little state and humble Storrs, CT, and assume someone must be cheating to get the talent we get. Now if they just looked closely and saw that most of our players have been low to moderately ranked and how few burger AAs we get compared to other top programs, they'd realize how silly they sound. If JC has cheated over the years, he sure s*cks at it. You'd think he'd hit on most of his plan-A recruits and highly rated ones. He rarely gets the top rated players. Most of his greatest were moderately ranked at best, J Lamb case in point.

So much has to do with perception. Like it or not, JC doesn't have a media friendly persona. For example the Squid is Mohamed Ali while JC is Joe Frazer. One has the image (though Ali was as great fighter so the analogy has its holes, but go with me here) the other is the put-his-head-down and drive-you-into-the-corner fighter. Which do you think is the media darling? As for the resume, JC deserves better. His name should roll off the tongues of all college hoops analysts as one of the best current coaches and of the past couple decades.

No coach is perfect. JC has some outstanding coaching qualities, but has made his share of mistakes. Going 3-1 in -4, standing atop the field twice with under-dog teams says a lot about his big game coaching abilities. Before and even during the run of NCs, he's had his share of losses when the team was the favorite. Not saying it was due to coaching mistakes, but let's not ignore those missteps. Many IMO were due to unfortunate (unfair?) seeds locations wise, some due to untimely injuries or simply facing teams that outplayed our Huskies.

Few coaches instill their toughness better than JC. Few coaches teach better man-to-man help D better than JC. Few coaches coach every ounce of talent out of their players like JC. Few coaches consistently spot untapped talent (recruiting) as JC. Few coaches recruit for their system as well as JC. Few coaches consistently get their team playing their best hoops in March as JC. Few coaches are beloved by their past players as JC. Few coaches instil their will to win better than JC. I could go on and on.

I wish he could coach UConn forever. I just hope whoever succeeds him as head coach can continue his legacy though that's a lot to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom