Am I missing something (re: 1999 Uconn) | The Boneyard

Am I missing something (re: 1999 Uconn)

Reaction Score
I always understood Uconn and Duke were 1-2 pretty much all year and especially going into March, they were the two best. Is it revisionist history now with some people (seen it on reddit) claiming it was Duke-Msu-Uconn and that msu was the second best team going into March? What in the world?

Reaction Score
I always understood Uconn and Duke were 1-2 pretty much all year and especially going into March, they were the two best. Is it revisionist history now with some people (seen it on reddit) claiming it was Duke-Msu-Uconn and that msu was the second best team going into March? What in the world?
It comes partially from KenPom, which only added full stats from 1999 a couple years ago. He has Michigan St #2.

That being said, KenPom has that '99 UConn team as having the best defense of the last 25 years. MSU and UConn are real close in the ratings and are about the same relative strength as Purdue this season. All 3 teams would be #1 in 8 of the last 25 years.

So basically Duke was an absolute juggernaut, the best team of the last 25 years. And then UConn and MSU were roughly the strength of the average best team in the country.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It comes partially from KenPom, which only added full stats from 1999 a couple years ago. He has Michigan St #2.

That being said, KenPom has that '99 UConn team as having the best defense of the last 25 years. MSU and UConn are real close in the ratings and are about the same relative strength as Purdue this season. All 3 teams would be #1 in 8 of the last 25 years.

So basically Duke was an absolute juggernaut, the best team of the last 25 years. And then UConn and MSU were roughly the strength of the average best team in the country.

So, to answer Travelman's question, yes, it's revisionist history.

Duke & UConn were 1A and 1B all season long. IIRC, we were ranked #1 more weeks than they were.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Our loss to Miami had us 3 in the polls at the end of the year, but all year long it was us and Duke. If you ask anyone outside CT, it was Duke and everyone else

Reaction Score
The only thing that scares me about tonight is the 1999 vibe where UConn is the heavy favorite (like Duke in 1999) and Purdue is the underdog team that has been great most of the year (like UConn in 1999). The factor that lessens my fears is knowing that Hurley and staff will game plan much better than Coach K and staff did in 1999.

Reaction Score

KenPom or one of the others gave Duke a National Championship banner. I’m happy with the one UConn won on the court, but then I’ve never been all that impressed with metrics over actual games.

Reaction Score
UConn beat Michigan State by 14.

I don't know what is up with KenPom's numbers to put UConn behind Michigan State. It might be because the Big East was down relative to the Big Ten. Big East had 5 bids out of 13 (1-2-3-8-8) and the Big Ten had 7 bids out of 11 (1-4-5-5-6-7-10). They were a very good team, but a beat behind everyone not named UConn and Duke that year.

Reaction Score
I DGA flying F about KenPom when it was used to award teams in the Big Ten Quad 1 wins vs Maryland all this past season.

It's being used as a built-in bias loop for the P5 to shut the door on the rest of the basketball universe.

Reaction Score
There is no universe than anyone but UConn and Duke were top 2 teams. No one knew who mich st was

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I DGA flying F about KenPom when it was used to award teams in the Big Ten Quad 1 wins vs Maryland all this past season.

It's being used as a built-in bias loop for the P5 to shut the door on the rest of the basketball universe.
All these algorithms are biased toward P5 conferences. If you think the NEWBIE doesn’t benefit most of the time you are dreaming. But in a way it’s like a lawyer judge shopping. You can probably find 1 who is better for your position

Reaction Score
I knew we were going to win when our guys were doing the rough riders anthem and the Duke guys were trying to be stoic but you could see the fear

Reaction Score
The only thing that scares me about tonight is the 1999 vibe where UConn is the heavy favorite (like Duke in 1999) and Purdue is the underdog team that has been great most of the year (like UConn in 1999). The factor that lessens my fears is knowing that Hurley and staff will game plan much better than Coach K and staff did in 1999.
yup and UConn was the sentimental favorite in 1999 with 75% of the fans pulling for them. I think Purdue is the sentimental favorite for most neutral fans. But I say to that, let's spoil their redemption story. If UConn plays their A+ game they will win. UConn's A+ game is better than any other teams' A+ game and I say this as someone that respects Purdue and knows how great they are.

Respect all, fear none.

Reaction Score
Purdue and ZE have been the favorites for three years now. But they haven’t gotten it done. They have the pressure, not us. We already our championship.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, it's revisionist much like Helms trophies awarded years after games were played.
In 2024 terms MSU Houston this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I swear that I had to have been watching something different than what the talking heads were watching that year. We did beat Michigan St pretty easily and had as good of a regular season as Duke (possibly better, our two losses were without a full team), but for some reason, once the brackets came out there were complaints that the alleged top two teams (Duke & MSU) were going to meet in the semi-finals. The tournament hadn't even started and we somehow became an also ran.

We were the best team. We beat a top ten team (Stanford) in their house, without our best player (don't remember of Jake also missed that one). Everyone was in such a hurry to annoint Duke that they overlooked a team that was actually better. I don't know how they missed what we were shoeing them all season long.

Reaction Score
I swear that I had to have been watching something different than what the talking heads were watching that year. We did beat Michigan St pretty easily and had as good of a regular season as Duke (possibly better, our two losses were without a full team), but for some reason, once the brackets came out there were complaints that the alleged top two teams (Duke & MSU) were going to meet in the semi-finals. The tournament hadn't even started and we somehow became an also ran.

We were the best team. We beat a top ten team (Stanford) in their house, without our best player (don't remember of Jake also missed that one). Everyone was in such a hurry to annoint Duke that they overlooked a team that was actually better. I don't know how they missed what we were shoeing them all season long.
Maybe that was 2000 in 1999. Literally, that was not the talk everyone was on duke and UConn.

Wrong year for me.

I would like to see an article from that time that said that duke and Michigan State were the two best teams in the tournament.

State was No. 4 in the S curve.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe that was 2000 in 1999. Literally, that was not the talks everyone was so hall that duke and UConn were there.

MSU was a No. 2 seed anyway. They weren’t even one of the top 4 seeds
It was absolutely 1999.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
MSU was a pretty big deal that year, Mateen Cleeves and all. But never Top 2 real time.

Reaction Score

Jake played. Rip didn't. We won regardless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom