Am I justified in getting torqued off at this? | The Boneyard

Am I justified in getting torqued off at this?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
This popped up as a video that Youtube thought I'd be interested. My wife heard me grumbling about it, and said, "Well, imitation is the best flattery." I tried to explain that this it should be respected as a common law trademark of the Huskies, not some phrase to be bandied about by posers.
Anyway, this is just a dead graphic of the offensive quote. I ain't giving them the benefit of the doubt and actually linking thier #$% video.
shock.jpg

Reaction Score
This popped up as a video that Youtube thought I'd be interested. My wife heard me grumbling about it, and said, "Well, imitation is the best flattery." I tried to explain that this it should be respected as a common law trademark of the Huskies, not some phrase to be bandied about by posers.
Anyway, this is just a dead graphic of the offensive quote. I ain't giving them the benefit of the doubt and actually linking thier #$% video.
View attachment 61261
Amen brother! No one ever talked about shocking the world before Khalid El-Amin, and no non-UConn person should have since!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sorry, but it was a famous Muhammad Ali quote long before it was anyone else’s quote. And in college basketball, the Fab Five used it way before Khalid did.
Yeah, but Antric and Rash made that sweet Shock the World album.

I'm hearing the title track in my head right now: "I threw you like a UConn Husky."

Might have to pop in that CD tonight.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but it was a famous Muhammad Ali quote long before it was anyone else’s quote. And in college basketball, the Fab Five used it way before Khalid did.

Yeah I was going to say this. While I'd love to give Khalid props, it's not a very original phrase. Many a broadcaster has used it when there is any kind of upset in a big game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mmm, I pretty much remember it like this:

1605303481344.png

"I told you that we were gonna Shock the World™."

I don't remember anyone prior to KEA trademarking that phrase.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Funny, but I don't recall Howard backing it up with the W, and without the W, it's just talk.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
No college hoop team will shock the world in November.

The Fab5 were likely favored in most games - so the only shock was to their fans expecting victory.

Reaction Score
Funny, but I don't recall Howard backing it up with the W, and without the W, it's just talk.
I know, I know, we’re UConn and championships and anyone who does something but isn’t us isn’t good enough etc. ... But the whole story is that Muhammad Ali happened to be staying at the Fab Five’s hotel early in the Tourney and when they all got to meet him in his hotel room, Ali himself whispered “Shock the world” into Howard’s ear before they left. Then when a No. 6 seed of all frosh starters finally took down the No. 1 seed Ohio State team that had beat them twice earlier in year to go to the Final Four while becoming a cultural phenomenon, Howard celebrated with that phrase.

Muhammad Ali coined the saying. Juwan Howard brought it to college basketball. Khalid made it a UConn thing.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom