Alyssa Thomas Out for the Sun | The Boneyard

Alyssa Thomas Out for the Sun

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not good. :(

Is there any word? It looked like it could be a subluxation or dislocation. Possibly a separation or some other sort of strain/sprain. IOW, anywhere between a week and two months.

I know it didn't look like much contact, but I had similar contact playing basketball, and it was a subluxation.

Reaction Score
They missed her tonight! I found it interesting that she was in uniform with her arm in a sling - why wasn't she just in street clothes? I assume she won't play tomorrow either. Seems to make sense to recover, let bench players like Betnijah get more minutes in to build chemistry with the others, suffer a few losses - and hope Alyssa comes back soon as strong as ever.

Does the risk of subluxation and dislocation increase without surgery? These shoulder injuries have been bothering her for a few years - wonder if she'll get surgery at some point.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm not a medical person, so this is definitely anecdotal.

I've subluxed both shoulders and dislocated one repeatedly. If you're young, each time one of those happens, it's more likely to happen again. Moreover, each time it's subluxed, it's more likely to be a dislocation the next time. (Although the injuries are different in nature, both stretch and mangle the capsule that keeps the joint together.) My experience is that after it's happened a certain number of times, the recovery time is quicker, although it's less complete.

I had stabilization surgery on my bad one. My surgery was arthroscopic, but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone without a serious problem. There are several versions depending on what structural defects you have. In my case, they heat-shrank the capsule -- the jumble of tendons, ligaments, and connective tissue that holds the whole thing together. Plus they sutured the (labium? the cartilage/meniscus that the ball sits in) back onto the bones, as it had come partially detached. They no longer do the heat-shrink thing, but shorten the capsule by putting stitches in it. In some cases, they'll actually cut the muscle and wrap it around the bone. They'd never do that to an athlete, as it severely limits your range of motion. I know another guy who had a pin put in to limit his movement.

Although my surgery was minimally invasive, I was still mostly immobilized for three weeks, and did three months of PT afterward. A month or more after that, I was bottling beer and literally couldn't hold a bottle (empty) in front of me with that arm. Of course, a professional athlete would rehab harder and faster.

The surgery definitely worked for me. I'm sure Alyssa's getting good medical advice.

Reaction Score
Is there any diagnosis at all? I had a torn bursa from a bone spur which was extraordinarily painful, and limited strength and range of motion significantly. I could have had artho to remve the bursa and the spur ... I chose a cortisone shot.

If she had a cortisone/lidocaine shot they would have put her in a sling for a few days to prevent further damage

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Is there any word? As of four days ago, she was listed as day to day. Last night she wasn’t on the roster, and there were 12 on the roster, which doesn’t seem to bode well.

The Sun look awful without her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's still listed as "?" for Sunday game. Nary a detail, however.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, the Sun really misses her. Additionally, JJ is not putting up the same numbers as last year, even on a per-minute basis.

Reaction Score
Sure looks like A Thomas is the heart of this team. They can’t put teams away like they were earlier with her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom