Alterique | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique

Reaction Score
That's not what Hurley is talking about. He's talking about people that are directly @ tagging Gilbert in tweets or on instagram and calling him trash. (Or doing that on the official UConn Bball account/Hurleys twitter)
O.K. that's just plain dumb. Social media is the bane of society sometimes. Remember the day when only your friends or your dog knew your stupid thoughts?

Reaction Score
That's not what Hurley is talking about. He's talking about people that are directly @ tagging Gilbert in tweets or on instagram and calling him trash. (Or doing that on the official UConn Bball account/Hurleys twitter)
Probably some moronic high school/college kids, mixed in with some drunk miserable men. That’s pretty messed up tho. That is social media these days

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony?

Unless and until Gilbert looks and feels like the player of such promise we’ve gotten to know, UConn has to consider making some kind of change in the way it operates, maybe in minutes distribution, certainly in what is asked or expected of him.

I think most of us were in the "he has to change the way he plays" camp rather than just saying he stinks and shouldn't play.

Yeah I gotta be honest. This annoys me a ton. If this is who he’s calling out then good grief. Gilbert has been incredibly bad for four games. Detrimentally bad. I haven’t seen anyone worth their salt attack him personally - and I’m sure there’s some chode out there who is- but he’s been bad. Objectively bad by every measure.

Doubly annoying is the “yeah they’re college kids shame on you crowd” most of whom are 100% the guys running around talking about axing scholarships, and we having online meltdowns about player performance the last two weeks.

He’s played poorly, he got criticized and then responded in 100% the best way humanly possible. He’s a great kid he just plays like a idiot sometimes which is frustrating because he’s not an idiot and is capable of being better.

These kids have proven everyone wrong with their toughness. Keep proving people wrong. Let’s focus on that and Not what some dung head says on social media or news stories that aren’t written by the team PR firm. Hurley’s called the play “embarrassing” at times and is consistentLucy talking about “playing to the standards” of UConn hoops. Just feels weird that coming off the best team win in half a decade that’s what we’re talking about.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
7 assists today. Theirs a pass first , UConn legend PG on the coaching staff he could talk to. He’ll be alright. This whole team is a work in progress

Reaction Score
Probably some moronic high school/college kids, mixed in with some drunk miserable men. That’s pretty messed up tho. That is social media these days
Prolly some dumb 20 yr old living on social media with zero social skills

Reaction Score
add in 3 years of miserable pent up frustration and your senior PG playing like complete crap...it's not hard to see why it happened; that obviously doesn't make it right though

Reaction Score
Is that really happening? What the hell is wrong with people?
Found this tweet at Hurley. Obscenity deleted

Why the do you keep playing Gilbert? Dude is clearly lost.

Reaction Score
Someone should just show Dan Hurley that there are food UConn twitter follows out there.

Reaction Score
I'm not into takedown culture but if that happened that fan should be outed and not allowed at games, that's beyond the pale.
Agreed. I should have buried him but I was half in the bag and didn't want to end up looking like a bigger d*&k than he is. I could still find the post and his handle.... but then when do I/we start to be him?

Reaction Score
Being at the UConn football game yesterday, I would agree with this statement. The things some of these morons were saying made me cringe. My family and I looked at each other in disbelief. There are some psychos out there. But to badger, belittle and degrade a college athlete come on man. It's just not right.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Gilbert was probably kicking himself and Hurley came to the rescue like any great coach would. But I bet Hurley knows it’s a good thing that the team has the fan base as invested as they are right now. We care and we expect to win. Welcome back to the show UConn.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hurley fired up when AG came out. Turned to the fans and was yelling at us to give him the love he deserves from this performance

“that’s your point guard!” - DH

Bingo!

I love that move by Hurley. AG gets killed way too much by the fan base. They want him to be Kemba or Bazz. I'll save them the trouble; he's not. Few are. But he creates off the bounce for others and can get to the rim whenever he wants. And we're going to see a lot of good basketball from him throughout the year...

Reaction Score
But I bet Hurley knows it’s a good thing that the team has the fan base as invested as they are right now. We care and we expect to win. Welcome back to the show UConn.

I doubt that was the subtext of his quote.

Reaction Score

I'm not afraid to say it. I love this man. He's fiery. He's animated. He's harsh and real, this should remind you of someone, just a hint he's in the HOF. He can connect with the kids. He's got love for the kids. He's got heart and passion for the program he leads. If you as a fan can't see this, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Reaction Score
Hats off to Coach Hurley for defending him. If AG plays like he did today, we are a pretty good team. If he plays like he did in the St. Joe's game and the Xavier game, any team has a chance to beat them.

He ran the show today...took good shots. The take to the rim at the expiration of the shot clock was a good, decisive move. It wasn't the acrobatic, contorted, triple pump prayer where the best case scenario is a foul and two ft's.

Ideally, he needs to hit jumpers when left open, distribute the ball, and hit his ft's. He was great today.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I doubt that was the subtext of his quote.
No I’m not saying it was, that was more of just a side note that I bet he realizes.

It sucks to get criticized, but ranked teams with big fan bases do it constantly. If UConn going to be as good as people expect, you have to expect and overcome criticism. For this group, the concept is pretty new.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No I’m not saying it was, that was more of just a side note that I bet he realizes.

It sucks to get criticized, but ranked teams with big canvases do it constantly. If UConn going to be as good as people expect, you have to expect and overcome criticism. For this group, the concept is pretty new.

And for him it's pretty new, too. This isn't URI and Wagner.

I'm glad the guys looked through this and stuck up for each other and i'm doubly glad he's willing to defend a player like this. But this was also the first definitive, team thrashing we've laid on anyone in four or five years. I mean i'd love to do some sort of 'three takeaways' but I have nothing to add to what was clearly the best team win/performance we've had in forever. That the parting conversation is him voicing his displeasure about shut-ins tweeting mean tweets at his players seems like it's feeding into it, to me.

Like if you think this stinks, wait until people really start caring all over the country again. It sucks, it's deplorable, it's not excusing the behavior - but it's also just the reality of it. I also wish he'd be a little bit more careful in how he's saying these things. The fan base - especially your bigger name twitter accounts who've been relentlessly positive about him and the players since he got here - has been through a lot watching this program veer into a death spiral. And I can't remember a time like this last week where the conversation was this almost totally positive and optimistic about the future.

Just feels to me like that's where i'd want my focus to be - and not on telling basement dwellers 'I told you so.' Especially when this is the guy during half-time interviews has called his team's performances 'embarrassing,' has said 'losing is in their bones' and that it's 'not up to the standard' of UConn hoops.

Love the guy, he's got my support 100%, but he's learning, too - and when you're the head coach and you say stuff like that, it helps lay the groundwork for things like mean tweeters. And I mean after this today, who gives a crap what they have to think? Like I said- love the guy -but let those losers go, man. Let them be miserable. If we were #1 and 36-0 and four time national champs - they'd be miserable about something, so screw them and let's just get better and let this thing be fun for everyone -us, his players, him and everyone else. It's been a while lol.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
And for him it's pretty new, too. This isn't URI and Wagner.

I'm glad the guys looked through this and stuck up for each other and i'm doubly glad he's willing to defend a player like this. But this was also the first definitive, team thrashing we've laid on anyone in four or five years. I mean i'd love to do some sort of 'three takeaways' but I have nothing to add to what was clearly the best team win/performance we've had in forever. That the parting conversation is him voicing his displeasure about shut-ins tweeting mean tweets at his players seems like it's feeding into it, to me.

Like if you think this stinks, wait until people really start caring all over the country again. It sucks, it's deplorable, it's not excusing the behavior - but it's also just the reality of it. I also wish he'd be a little bit more careful in how he's saying these things. The fan base - especially your bigger name twitter accounts who've been relentlessly positive about him and the players since he got here - has been through a lot watching this program veer into a death spiral. And I can't remember a time like this last week where the conversation was this almost totally positive and optimistic about the future.

Just feels to me like that's where i'd want my focus to be - and not on telling basement dwellers 'I told you so.'
I think the aggression he’s bringing here is the result of how down Gilbert was feeling more than Hurley himself being sensitive to it.

Reaction Score
I think the aggression he’s bringing here is the result of how down Gilbert was feeling more than Hurley himself being sensitive to it.

Oh sure - and hey - that's all good, too right? But there's an element of feeding the beast at play here. Like I hear everyone who wants to 'expose' people or whatever - i'm sure it'd feel good - but if we're gonna fight every goofball UConn fan on Twitter, you're going to spend the rest of your life doing it. It's like whackamole.

Just ignore those dudes. Everyone else is.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
When Gilbert starts I chuckle knowing there are fickle fans really pissed off.

Reaction Score
Anxiously awaiting the postgame conference to hear Dan lose his ishhh

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom