Alterique | The Boneyard

Alterique

Reaction Score
This was a great game for him. I hope he reviews this film as much as he has time for. Early I was concerned, but after a stint on the bench, he was great. Hurley did what we were all hoping for. And we are WINNERS because of it.

5 shots--all open. Tons of assists and he broke pressure. He didn't shoot well again, but it didn't matter because the volume wasn't ridiculous.

Great job Rique. Acted like a PG today

Reaction Score
Much better today, but will have to be a threat to score himself (drive + pull-up or 3 ball) if we want to beat good teams

Reaction Score
Was just going to start a similar thread. This is what we need from him. Only took 5 shots (I think we could live with a little more if he's open) but was just much more in control. Only counted 1 questionable shot. No crazy drives into the lane. 7 assists. Ran the offense well. Good defense. Loved it. I hope he sees what he did this game and continues it. Glad to see it didn't take long for him to adjust. Happy for him.

Reaction Score
That is what we need to see from Gilbert. 7 assists to 5 shots. Really just one ill-advised shot that was blocked but overall, love how he played today, I can totally live with that for the rest of the year. Maybe 2-3 extra assists per game, 2-3 more GOOD well-timed shots, perhaps drawing contact, with all else the same, UConn will be a tough out in the AAC.

Happy with Gilbert's effort today. Ditto Vital.

17 assists today!! Loving it! I think UConn can push 20+ a few times this year. Unselfish play, thrilled.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really really want Alterique to have a good season, which maybe is last. He does not have to be a guy that averages 15 ppg. If he can play like Sr year Taliek Brown, that could be a difference maker the rest of the way.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yup. He played much more under control and there were many more good, unforced shots.

Meanwhile, the young guys were great and if Bouknight is like that even 75% of the time, he changes everything. Reminds me a bit of Jeremy Lamb but with a better handle.

Reaction Score
alterique has a very shifty handle and dribbling style. he uses his small size to just slip through tiny cracks and suck in players to create space for shooters and Carlton on the inside. He needs to continue that because that's what he simply does best!

Reaction Score
Hurley fired up when AG came out. Turned to the fans and was yelling at us to give him the love he deserves from this performance

“that’s your point guard!” - DH

My guess is Hurley had a Difficult Conversation with Al about his role in the offense going forward at some point since the Xavier game, and that display was him rewarding Al for being a good soldier and having a hugely productive game as a playmaker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was a great game for him. I hope he reviews this film as much as he has time for. Early I was concerned, but after a stint on the bench, he was great. Hurley did what we were all hoping for. And we are WINNERS because of it.

5 shots--all open. Tons of assists and he broke pressure. He didn't shoot well again, but it didn't matter because the volume wasn't ridiculous.

Great job Rique. Acted like a PG today
x2
There are people on social media attacking Rique? Good grief. Keep it on the 'yard guys.
I didn’t see anything too bad, but saying he should be benched was super premature obviously. I think Hurley is just protecting his guy here. You could tell he was trying to gas Gilbert up all game.

Reaction Score
There are people on social media attacking Rique? Good grief. Keep it on the 'yard guys.
Anyone attacking him on social media is worse than a loser creep but criticizing his play here is fair game. Never make it personal but point out how his bad play is hurting us. Hurley knows the play late in the last game is unacceptable and do does Gilbert. They both fixed it today, if he plays a smart floor game like today going forward we will be a damn good team and the criticism will turn to praise.

Social media sucks.

Reaction Score
That's why you should always just use guys initials on twitter, and def don't tag them in mean tweets lol

Reaction Score
Played within himself. Limited shots and distributed the ball. Exactly what this team.needs from him. Bouk takes pressure off because he can score.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw a reply in one of Hurley's tweets where a guy specified that he tweeted Alterique directly and said he was trash or something similar. No reason for that. Obviously its okay to be critical but to just be mean for the sake of being a tool is dumb.

Reaction Score
7:2 ATO and he created a ton of looks. My favorite part of the game was when he prevented Akok from throwing the outlet after back to back turnovers. Went and controlled the game. Great job.
This actually stood out to me too when it happened. Akok even gave a wave acknowledging his mistake. Gilbert being the elder statesman even gave a clap to alert Akok for the non outlet pass and slow down the game. Gilbert did look much better today. UConn was and is clearly a better team. They beat Florida who beat Miami by 20 points as well. The boys did what they were supposed to and they looked good doing it.

Reaction Score
I saw a reply in one of Hurley's tweets where a guy specified that he tweeted Alterique directly and said he was trash or something similar. No reason for that. Obviously its okay to be critical but to just be mean for the sake of being a tool is dumb.
I'm not into takedown culture but if that happened that fan should be outed and not allowed at games, that's beyond the pale.

Reaction Score
I think any criticism of his play has been fair game. I haven’t seen a single, credible UConn twitter account lambaste him; let alone do so personally.

He’s protecting his guy here - great to see; and doubly great that Gilbert maybe played his best game in a UConn uniform today. That’s what I’m focused on.

But pretending his last four games are acceptable from him considering what he’s capable of is - to me at least - kinda insulting to him and his ability. He knows he should be better. Hurley knows it. We know it.

So today he was.

But anyone going after him personally needs to get a life.

Reaction Score
Gilbert played well and within himself. When was last time we had a complete game front to back where everyone contributed and played well ? 5 years ago?

Reaction Score

Mike Anthony?

Unless and until Gilbert looks and feels like the player of such promise we’ve gotten to know, UConn has to consider making some kind of change in the way it operates, maybe in minutes distribution, certainly in what is asked or expected of him.

I think most of us were in the "he has to change the way he plays" camp rather than just saying he stinks and shouldn't play.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony?

Unless and until Gilbert looks and feels like the player of such promise we’ve gotten to know, UConn has to consider making some kind of change in the way it operates, maybe in minutes distribution, certainly in what is asked or expected of him.

I think most of us were in the "he has to change the way he plays" camp rather than just saying he stinks and shouldn't play.
That's not what Hurley is talking about. He's talking about people that are directly @ tagging Gilbert in tweets or on instagram and calling him trash. (Or doing that on the official UConn Bball account/Hurleys twitter)

Reaction Score
That's not what Hurley is talking about. He's talking about people that are directly @ tagging Gilbert in tweets or on instagram and calling him trash. (Or doing that on the official UConn Bball account/Hurleys twitter)
Is that really happening? What the hell is wrong with people?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom