Alterique Gilbert | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This kid has gotten absolutely skewered on this board - - most recently by me. He played under control tonight, didn't try to do too much, and got some help so he didn't have to. When he drove the ball with just over 4 minutes left and 5 seconds on the shot clock, I cringed and expected the worst. He hit a layup and got fouled, drained the free throw, and I don't think it's an overreaction to say that the entire program breathed a huge sigh of relief. That was when I knew we were winning this game.

Big props to Alterique for a strong game, and props to Hurley for pushing the right buttons and not listening to fools like me that wanted Alterique to sit down the last 4 minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
His play deserved criticism before. It was bad.

And his play deserves props tonight. Really nice performance. Props to him for taking th message to heart from Hurley and improving his game.

Reaction Score
Hurley needed to put him on a Calhoun-esque short leash early in the season. Hopefully he will continue to make good decisions. The shots won’t always go in.
We need Al, bottom line

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think he will continue to do well coming off bench.
Takes the stress off him.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Obviously sores better as a 2. Hurley had to remind him during the game to pass the ball and it will come back to him. Hope he learns that lesson.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A great game for AG and I'm extremely happy for him. He deserves our love through god and bad...

... and tonight was very very good... :cool:

Reaction Score
I have been one of his biggest defenders, ashamedly so. The biggest difference is he made shots. He still made 2 terrible drives that are typical for him to be skewered. He made one awesome floater, for the 2nd time of late. He didn't control the ball, so much fewer TO's, HOWEVER, not many assists. I would call it his best shooting game, but I wouldn't call it his best game. I am biased to assists. However, I have no explanation for why we won on the road without many assists. His D was on par with his typical great D. I am happy he's still contributing after losing the starting role. Good for him. I think this season would look much different if he was hitting shots early on, but what do I know?

Reaction Score
Starter or not, he played the second most minutes.

He didn't force passes, and many of his passes to Gaffney should have been shots, so that could have cut into your assist numbers, JayBone

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Gaffney at the top, AG playing that off ball 2011 Kemba role, and Bouk on the wing is a winning perimeter look for us.

Reaction Score
Happy for AG, he played within himself and didn’t force the game as much as before. He can help out tremendously as long as he plays smart.

Reaction Score
Al used his left hand on the late game drive. Because others made shots tonight he did not have to feel it was up to him to make things happen. he could have more patience. This game could be a breakthrough for the team.

Reaction Score
We can't afford to have AG, CV, JB and JG on the court together against bigger, better teams. We'll get killed on D

Reaction Score
1581046554100.png

Hurley on Gilbert. "That two-or-three day window he had just kind of re-charged, refreshed him, gave him a chance to look in the mirror and evaluate how he needs to play. I think Jalen’s presence out there definitely helps. It takes pressure off Al.”

Gilbert on his time away last week: “Honestly, I talked to a lot of my family, my support system, stayed close to my teammates, of course. I just kept fighting, man — stayed in the gym, just tried to keep working, listen to everything coach was saying and embrace the process.”

Alterique Gilbert: “Whatever’s best for the team. If coach likes bringing me off the bench, that’s something I’m willing to do for the team. Absolutely. I think it gives us a little boost off the bench. Guys are playing well, so it’s easier for me.”

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
View attachment 50668

Hurley on Gilbert. "That two-or-three day window he had just kind of re-charged, refreshed him, gave him a chance to look in the mirror and evaluate how he needs to play. I think Jalen’s presence out there definitely helps. It takes pressure off Al.”

Gilbert on his time away last week: “Honestly, I talked to a lot of my family, my support system, stayed close to my teammates, of course. I just kept fighting, man — stayed in the gym, just tried to keep working, listen to everything coach was saying and embrace the process.”

Alterique Gilbert: “Whatever’s best for the team. If coach likes bringing me off the bench, that’s something I’m willing to do for the team. Absolutely. I think it gives us a little boost off the bench. Guys are playing well, so it’s easier for me.”
Wow, awesome quote. That's a truly mentally tough kid, on par with anyone we've had in my book.

Reaction Score
Most of the year AG has struggled with his perimeter shot. And, at some point, it became obvious he lost confidence in his perimeter game and instead elected to try and drive to the rim.

AG is a deadly player when his shot is falling (and when he is taking it.) He is quick enough to go around defenders if they aren't giving him a step. However, when AG can't make outside shot or won't shoot outside shots then the defenders are going to back off and deny the drive. Kemba Walker's shot as a freshman was not much different. However Kemba learned to shoot and then he was unstoppable. AG needs to do the same if he wants to succeed at this level and potentially the next.

My heart goes out to the kid. Its been a rough year for AG and hopefully yesterday's win and performance are something he can build on. I still think AG is a work in progress and he has a lot more game than he has shown.

Reaction Score
View attachment 50668

A true testament to Gilbert. Someone who is willing to do whatever it takes to repair the team's chemistry and do anything to rescue the season. Love Gilbert.

Reaction Score
I noticed that Al took the ball inside and scored with his left last night. That is something he had been reluctant to do. Even when going left he usually shoots it with his right and ends up getting stuffed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom