Alterique Gilbert ready to go! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert ready to go!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The recurrence rate for Latarjet is extremely low (<5%). In addition, the case series that his surgeon (Provencher) has reported for his recurrence rates are even lower (<1-3%).

The issue is not will his shoulder dislocate again; that is very very unlikely.

The question Hoop and I have brought up is what will be his performance secondary to the surgery. There is no literature at all looking at basketball performance after a Latarjet procedure--the data just doesn't exist yet. Furthermore, long term (I'm talking 15+ years) patients with laterjet about 50% of them develop arthritis. That shouldn't effect his playing career, but may affect him as he gets older.

Good stuff.

If he gets a solid pro career out of it, whether here or in Europe, I think that's a trade off most, if not all, of us would take.

Besides, who knows what medical advances will happen in that time frame? Might just grow him a new shoulder. haha

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This title is misleading he is not anywhere near ready to go.

Reaction Score
Not sure why so many need to "limit expectations to avoid disappointments". I have no problem with being disappointed because my team wasn't able to get to where I wanted/expected it to get. I've heard good news on the kids physical and mental outlook and knowing how talented he was out of high school look forward to a really good year for him. Turns out other wise, too bad.

Reaction Score
We should keep in mind that there's a big difference between "painfree with full range of motion" and that plus the weight training strength and desire to play with all out toughness. Gilbert probably hasn't had the time to accomplish the latter yet.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Seems to me that he had toughness when he got here. That's quite a crucible he has been through. If he can (please!) stay healthy he may possess a whole new dimension on "toughness" and character. Go Alterique! We need you.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've quoted my first post where I literally start my 2nd to last sentence with "I hope". In this thread.

To your second point, the entire point of posting the article I did from nearly exactly a year ago is to show that the "people who performed the surgery and the other medical professionals" and even Alterique himself said he was 100% almost exactly a year ago. That's the whole point. I posted it for that sole purpose. To show that experts are wrong. That even the player himself was wrong.

So, take all this with a huge grain of salt. I'm not sure there has even been an "unsuccessful" surgery in athletes who publicly require a good outcome to maintain their future potential professional value.

Right? So just keep expectations low. I don't get why what i said is controversial or requires multiple replies. It was just a quick, straitforward exercise in expectation setting for the kid before this board goes off the deep end and sets him up for failure.
Once a person uses a term like "goes off the deep end," however colloquially, he generally forfeits a sense of mystery as to why people don't get him.
Just as unrealistic expectations are a setup, so too is exaggerated language. Might not seem fair, but the dynamic is too often on display here to overlook or deny. No criticism, simply a frank response to your claim of not getting why you're not gotten.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think you're being too hard on @bmayuc. Every one of us on this board is pulling for AG. Every one of us hopes the kid's shoulder is 100%.
It's great that the docs who did the surgery said this and that about how his shoulder is now from Krpyton, or whatever. It's great that those in the know are uniformly, publicly positive.
I have zero medical expertise or even basic passing knowledge of shoulders.
But I know people and their tendency toward hyperbole, doctors or ditch diggers.
I hope the kid is fixed and never has to go through the heartbreak of reinjury, which, at this point, would likely be career ending.
But, I'm a realist, and I don't care what the number one expert in the world said - I'll be holding my breath every time the kid dives to the floor hard, 8893 - as will you, notwithstanding all that you've written.
The true realist doesn't invoke Krypton. It undercuts the gravity of the message and can, figuratively, muddy the waters.

Reaction Score
We should keep in mind that there's a big difference between "painfree with full range of motion" and that plus the weight training strength and desire to play with all out toughness. Gilbert probably hasn't had the time to accomplish the latter yet.
I agree with you. It is likely that his pain has been relieved and his range of motion has improved. It is highly unlikely that he will be like he was prior to his injuries. I don't think it is fair for anyone to put unrealistic expectations on him. We will see what happens at his pace, and if it is better then that's great, but if not, then that is what has to be accepted.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Gilbert will bring energy and ball hawking and ball handling and leadership, I saw that in the few games he played last year.

I trust his shoulder will be fine, I'm certain the best doctors have given him the best advice

There are many examples of people who look to be injury prone that turn it around. If it were his knee(s), I'd be much more concerned

Reaction Score
Why didn’t he have this surgery the first time?

Excited that we may finally get to see this great young guard. What doesn’t kill you makes u stronger, when u go through trials. He definitely doesn’t fit the meek and incredibly fragile mindset we’ve had for so many years since Bazz left. So excited for this new chapter!

Reaction Score
Seems to me that he had toughness when he got here. That's quite a crucible he has been through. If he can (please!) stay healthy he may possess a whole new dimension on "toughness" and character. Go Alterique! We need you.

The phrase "whole new dimension" applies not just to "toughness and character." It may well apply to physical ability. No one knows how good AG can be with a fully-repaired shoulder. As good as he was at Miller Grove, he was playing with a trick shoulder even then. To say (as many here do) that he is unlikely to be the player he was before the injuries is to assume that there ever was an Alterique Gilbert "before the injuries." There may well be "a whole new dimension" awaiting us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The phrase "whole new dimension" applies not just to "toughness and character." It may well apply to physical ability. No one knows how good AG can be with a fully-repaired shoulder. As good as he was at Miller Grove, he was playing with a trick shoulder even then. To say (as many here do) that he is unlikely to be the player he was before the injuries is to assume that there ever was an Alterique Gilbert "before the injuries." There may well be "a whole new dimension" awaiting us.

This is an interesting point. We just don't know. Playing with a bad shoulder he was a very strong ball handler, passer, scorer around the rim and had a midrange shot. Playing with a pain free shoulder, maybe he becomes a legit 3 point threat. That would completely alter this team. I can't imagine that shoulder pain is conducive to long range accuracy.

Reaction Score
Why didn’t he have this surgery the first time?

Excited that we may finally get to see this great young guard. What doesn’t kill you makes u stronger, when u go through trials. He definitely doesn’t fit the meek and incredibly fragile mindset we’ve had for so many years since Bazz left. So excited for this new chapter!

A Laterjet is not without its own set of issues. The overall complication rate across the board has been quoted as high as 30% (I'm talking about all complications ie. small skin infections/hardware issues). As mentioned before the recurrence rate after the procedure is very low <5% and in Provencher's hands a little lower.

In this country, Laterjet is reserved for significant bone loss (which im assuming he didn't have initially) or salvage operations (failure of a soft tissue/labral repair operation) which is the case with Gilbert.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting point. We just don't know. Playing with a bad shoulder he was a very strong ball handler, passer, scorer around the rim and had a midrange shot. Playing with a pain free shoulder, maybe he becomes a legit 3 point threat. That would completely alter this team. I can't imagine that shoulder pain is conducive to long range accuracy.
Right before he was injured in the last games he was on an upward trend and becoming a difference maker. If he can make a couple of 3’s a game it will open up the other shooters to get clean looks. His game is creative shot making inside the line and assists, anything more is a bonus. With him we could make the tourney.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'd give this a like, but it would be misinterpreted as there are plenty on this board who would take that post literally and not facetiously.
Worse is they know it’s meant to be facetious.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’m wondering if my prediction for next season is apologetic.

On a less serious note why is everyone excited about Gilbert having a bowel movement?

Reaction Score
Once a person uses a term like "goes off the deep end," however colloquially, he generally forfeits a sense of mystery as to why people don't get him.
Just as unrealistic expectations are a setup, so too is exaggerated language. Might not seem fair, but the dynamic is too often on display here to overlook or deny. No criticism, simply a frank response to your claim of not getting why you're not gotten.

You are right. That's why this board is insufferable. Thanks for reminding me why I go months at a time ignoring this place in the offseason. See ya in October.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'd give this a like, but it would be misinterpreted as there are plenty on this board who would take that post literally and not facetiously.
And there's the risk of encouraging someone who'd claim it wasn't her decision but the result of her being asleep at the wheel and neglecting to make the right call.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You are right. That's why this board is insufferable. Thanks for reminding me why I go months at a time ignoring this place in the offseason. See ya in October.
Two months after the finish of a 14-18 season, there are indeed better things one can do at 1:25am. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if my prediction for next season is apologetic.

On a less serious note why is everyone excited about Gilbert having a bowel movement?
Because he can now wipe his *** pain-free and with full range of motion.

Reaction Score

You'll be back. Its impossible to stay away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom