Alterique Gilbert learned a lot after most recent shoulder injury | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert learned a lot after most recent shoulder injury

Reaction Score
How good are TL and AG?
I think Gilbert with 4 years eligibility had much to do with MAL decommitting. I think TL's game was a factor in Daniel Hamilton going pro and was part of the bad vibes dad and Vance had.
We need a big or 2 to step up earlier than expected to make small ball work.
We should be fast and fun to watch
I agree that TL game had impact n Hamilton's decision. I think studying and work ethic also were influential with Hamilton. I am not convinced that 4 years of AG had any influence on MAL's decision. 3 versus 4 doesn't move the needle in my opinion. I think we lost MAL because KO failed to do what it took to keep him on board. Something I am hoping he won't repeat in the future. That said, as long as we are healthy I think we will be very good and hopefully will win the conference regular season and tournament. Something JC always prioritized and rightfully so.

Reaction Score
And he probably still loves Durham, Enoch and Jackson and RP had some very good moments in a UConn uniform (the Ferrari quote came out of how he played in practice and scrimmages while red shirt - don't remember KO saying it last year, do you?)
What is your point?
My point is have you ever heard a coach say he does not love a recruit? It's all coach speak. KO has a lot to prove. And don't talk about the past. I am worried about where our program is TODAY! I hope I am wrong but it seems like we are heading to the world of mid majors and I don't like it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
My point is have you ever heard a coach say he does not love a recruit? It's all coach speak. KO has a lot to prove. And don't talk about the past. I am worried about where our program is TODAY! I hope I am wrong but it seems like we are heading to the world of mid majors and I don't like it.

We aren't just headed to the world of mid majors, we're already there. The AAC is a mid major conference, despite Mike Aresco's marketing campaign calling it a P6 league.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
How good are TL and AG?
I think Gilbert with 4 years eligibility had much to do with MAL decommitting. I think TL's game was a factor in Daniel Hamilton going pro and was part of the bad vibes dad and Vance had.
We need a big or 2 to step up earlier than expected to make small ball work.
We should be fast and fun to watch
If MAL can't compete with Gilbert and Vance with Larrier how do they expect to make the NBA?

Reaction Score
Let's hope Kevin loves all his players. Anderson and Vital had very similar stat lines -- Anderson did score 11.1 pts, 3.2 assts, 2.0 rpg in 34 mpg on a team with 9 guards, Vital 9.1 pts, 1.8 assists, 3.5 rpb in 29 mpg on a team with 3 guards, shooting percentages were almost identical from 2, 3, and free throw line. Conferences were similar in strength. On a per-40 minutes their stats were almost identical. Got to think it will be a matchup issue, when size is needed Vital plays and when ballhandling is needed Anderson plays. I do think Vital has potential to raise his 3 pt shooting percentage significantly, then he'd be the designated marksman. Anderson has to cut down on turnovers but I expect KO can teach him that.

Not sure this is how I view the situation. It's difficult to compare the stats of a fourth year junior and a true freshman, especially when accounting for the trajectories of the players (Vital averaged 12 ppg on 44% from three in his final 14 games). I think it's safe to say - based on Anderson's 34% career mark from deep - that Vital has considerably more upside as a shooter and probably as an offensive player in general.

Vital is going to play a lot, maybe as many as 35 minutes per game (he played 117 of a possible 120 minutes over three do-or-die games in Hartford to end the season). He's not a player whose minutes are going to be dictated by match-ups and he's surely not going to be platooning with Anderson. My impression is that Gilbert, Adams, and Vital will share the floor a lot and Anderson will scoop up the remaining minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom