Altavila Twitter fury | The Boneyard

Altavila Twitter fury

Reaction Score
John Altavilla must have just realized he was the UConn Men’s ice Hockey beat writer for the Courant. He has put out more tweets about UConn Men’s hockey in the past 5-10 minutes than he has all season combined! The program deserves MUCH better!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Really? lol uhh we're on a 7 game W streak so, yeah.

This guy has been a ghost all year..coverage ramped up when Mike Anthony did a few games..then went away like the wind. Complete and utter joke

Reaction Score
I took a few shots at him on Twitter...he sent me a direct message clarifying why he has not been on the beat as much...so he may be on here as well. Give him props for DM....gonna take him for his word and say the Courant again drops the ball on beat coverage! At least with new radio deal Hockey will be getting coverage on a regular basis and we can get games especially the away games easily.

Reaction Score
I took a few shots at him on Twitter...he sent me a direct message clarifying why he has not been on the beat as much...so he may be on here as well. Give him props for DM....gonna take him for his word and say the Courant again drops the ball on beat coverage! At least with new radio deal Hockey will be getting coverage on a regular basis and we can get games especially the away games easily.

While the expanded commercial coverage of men's ice hockey will get more attention to the team, it should be noted that almost every UConn men's ice hockey game has had radio coverage this season. With the exception of the games at Miami (OH) at the beginning of the season, every game has been covered by either WTIC or by UConn's campus radio station WHUS, and in a few cases both stations have carried the games. Alex Giner, who does play by play of men's hockey on WHUS has been broadcasting the games on that station for 10+ years. While Giner can get a tad over excitable while doing the play by play, it should also be noted that his calls of the game have steadily improved over time. And for those outside their signal range, WHUS does stream the games it carries over the internet.

Reaction Score
While the expanded commercial coverage of men's ice hockey will get more attention to the team, it should be noted that almost every UConn men's ice hockey game has had radio coverage this season. With the exception of the games at Miami (OH) at the beginning of the season, every game has been covered by either WTIC or by UConn's campus radio station WHUS, and in a few cases both stations have carried the games. Alex Giner, who does play by play of men's hockey on WHUS has been broadcasting the games on that station for 10+ years. While Giner can get a tad over excitable while doing the play by play, it should also be noted that his calls of the game have steadily improved over time. And for those outside their signal range, WHUS does stream the games it carries over the internet.
The games are gonna get a serious uptick as far as the production end of the broadcasts go. As far as the casual fan...unless you are hear or a die-hard hockey fan you have no clue those games are on WHUS and may only listen to them if they are on WTIC right now. For this team to grow their fan base they needed the access they are gonna get in the new radio deal with iHeart/ESPN

Reaction Score
The games are gonna get a serious uptick as far as the production end of the broadcasts go. As far as the casual fan...unless you are hear or a die-hard hockey fan you have no clue those games are on WHUS and may only listen to them if they are on WTIC right now. For this team to grow their fan base they needed the access they are gonna get in the new radio deal with iHeart/ESPN

I'm not questioning what you say about the added attention the new broadcast deal will bring to the team. I'm just pointing out that up until now there has been radio and internet coverage of almost every game the team has played or will play in the playoffs. I've been listening to WHUS coverage of UConn sports for years, but they do have a tendency not to blow their own horn, and do get ignored in the process. Personally, I think WHUS has provided a great service in carrying UConn sports such as soccer, baseball, and ice hockey, sports that in the past haven't gotten a lot of attention. But as you say, it is only the alert fan that is aware of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom