Alpha next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alpha next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What? If RIP in 1999 and Ben in 2004 weren't considered go to guys I don't know how you define go to to guys. Plus they had Khalid and Emeka. I suggest you go to UConn games.com and watch games from those seasons.

Please. :rolleyes: Of course they are. They aren't "one" alpha go to guy. As you mention there was more than one.

We need guys to emerge. We don't need a single "go to guy". I can consider the argument that Rip was clearly our best offensive player in 1999. But the 2003-04 team had six future first round draft picks (and Denham was 2nd round) on the roster, and Ben and Emeka averaged similar points.

I am merely saying we don't need one guy to become "the guy", we need several people to become reliable scorers. Fortunately, there are several candidates.

Reaction Score
Please. :rolleyes: Of course they are. They aren't "one" alpha go to guy. As you mention there was more than one.

We need guys to emerge. We don't need a single "go to guy". I can consider the argument that Rip was clearly our best offensive player in 1999. But the 2003-04 team had six future first round draft picks (and Denham was 2nd round) on the roster, and Ben and Emeka averaged similar points.

I am merely saying we don't need one guy to become "the guy", we need several people to become reliable scorers. Fortunately, there are several candidates.
Of course it's better to have two but you want/need at least one. You also should've thrown in 2011 and 2014 as well if you were going for the two go to guys thing.

Reaction Score
Could see Cole/Martin as leaders early in the season (per DH).. Akok and Jackson evolving as go-to-guys.. Diggins and Hawkins as leaders Yr2 on campus.. IW staying would make it a simpler discussion.. Don't see an obvious singular alpha at this stage of the discussion for next year..

Reaction Score
Isn't Hawkins supposed to be the best and most ready of the recruits? Size and shooting too?

Less responsibility for a shooting guard and wing because he doesn't have to run the team and read the defenses as much as a point guard does.

Maybe it can be Diggins, though a lot to put on a freshman to play the point and be dominant.

A returning Whaley could be prominent with an opportunity to build on his shooting and ball handling, skills still needed for a pro career here or overseas for a forward.

Maybe a pleasant surprise will be the final recruit when Bouk declares.

Right, but I'm hoping for a Diggins is the Shabbazz to Hawkins' Lamb kind of situation (not comparing the players, more just their situation - 4 year alpha point guard coming in at the same time as a 2 year immediate NBA prospect). And I agree, it's unlikely that Diggins will be the true alpha next year, just with everything we know about this kid I expect him to be the leader of the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Of course it's better to have two but you want/need at least one. You also should've thrown in 2011 and 2014 as well if you were going for the two go to guys thing.

I think those two teams were more reliant on one guy than the others. 2011 was the Kemba show and 2014 the Bazz show. Sure they had Lamb and Boat, but in crunch time it was a one man show.

Anyway, I agree with you, somebody has to emerge. Cole shows some signs he can do that when needed. Sanogo can score. No idea what Akok can bring. Jackson doesn't look like it now, but who knows?

Reaction Score
I think those two teams were more reliant on one guy than the others. 2011 was the Kemba show and 2014 the Bazz show. Sure they had Lamb and Boat, but in crunch time it was a one man show.

Anyway, I agree with you, somebody has to emerge. Cole shows some signs he can do that when needed. Sanogo can score. No idea what Akok can bring. Jackson doesn't look like it now, but who knows?
2014 was like '99 in that you had one player that was far and away the best player but both teams had two go to guys when you needed a bucket. 2011 had that by tournament time as well.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about next year necessarily, but I expect Rahsool Diggins to be the alpha of the future. I am so excited for that kid to be on campus. Championship teams need an alpha PG and that kid has it in him.

It scares me how much a believe in this kid. He just seems to want to bring everyone else to a higher level. Looking forward to having that PG on our squad, it's been a while.

Reaction Score

Ben was absolutely the "go to guy" in 2004

Reaction Score
Not having much to talk about this season has me thinking a bit about next season. In particular, that the team doesn’t have a clear alpha for next year. Not that it seems there’s been one in our limited games so far this season, but I see Bouk likely stepping into that role by season’s end once he figures out how to keep his foot on the pedal for all 40 minutes and orchestrates more of the offense with the ball in his hands (or maybe sharing the role with Whaley). For clarification, I’m defining alpha as “One of the top players on the team, team leader (or co-leader), and go to guy.”

Assuming Bouk, Whaley, Polley, and Carlton leave next year, who do you think will be the team’s alpha (or the closest thing to it) next year? Know much hinges on the rest of this season, but always fun to speculate.

I think Akok has the best chance to step into the role if he makes solid offensive strides this year. My dark horse candidate is Martin.
Oddly I’d say b adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104