Alpha next year | The Boneyard

Alpha next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not having much to talk about this season has me thinking a bit about next season. In particular, that the team doesn’t have a clear alpha for next year. Not that it seems there’s been one in our limited games so far this season, but I see Bouk likely stepping into that role by season’s end once he figures out how to keep his foot on the pedal for all 40 minutes and orchestrates more of the offense with the ball in his hands (or maybe sharing the role with Whaley). For clarification, I’m defining alpha as “One of the top players on the team, team leader (or co-leader), and go to guy.”

Assuming Bouk, Whaley, Polley, and Carlton leave next year, who do you think will be the team’s alpha (or the closest thing to it) next year? Know much hinges on the rest of this season, but always fun to speculate.

I think Akok has the best chance to step into the role if he makes solid offensive strides this year. My dark horse candidate is Martin.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about next year necessarily, but I expect Rahsool Diggins to be the alpha of the future. I am so excited for that kid to be on campus. Championship teams need an alpha PG and that kid has it in him.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about next year necessarily, but I expect Rahsool Diggins to be the alpha of the future. I am so excited for that kid to be on campus. Championship teams need an alpha PG and that kid has it in him.
Isn't Hawkins supposed to be the best and most ready of the recruits? Size and shooting too?

Less responsibility for a shooting guard and wing because he doesn't have to run the team and read the defenses as much as a point guard does.

Maybe it can be Diggins, though a lot to put on a freshman to play the point and be dominant.

A returning Whaley could be prominent with an opportunity to build on his shooting and ball handling, skills still needed for a pro career here or overseas for a forward.

Maybe a pleasant surprise will be the final recruit when Bouk declares.

Reaction Score
With the extra year it would be Whaley if he comes back. Other than that I think it would be Akok, Cole, or Gaffney.
agree on whaley but gaff doesnt yet seem to have the confidence a leader needs to exude. senior cole by default.

Reaction Score
Cole and Martin as the leaders, Jackson as the go to guy on the court

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I think a senior Cole will be the leader of next year’s team for sure (along with Whaley if he’s back). And Rahsool has leadership in his DNA, so a year learning from RJ at the helm will be huge. Diggins is gonna bring a lot of that classic UConn swagger and confidence - and Hawkins will benefit greatly from that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawkins won't be around more than 2 years and I think Rahshool will be groomed the team's leader, thats my definition of an Alpha. I agree with Whalley, if he returns

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not having much to talk about this season has me thinking a bit about next season. In particular, that the team doesn’t have a clear alpha for next year. Not that it seems there’s been one in our limited games so far this season, but I see Bouk likely stepping into that role by season’s end once he figures out how to keep his foot on the pedal for all 40 minutes and orchestrates more of the offense with the ball in his hands (or maybe sharing the role with Whaley). For clarification, I’m defining alpha as “One of the top players on the team, team leader (or co-leader), and go to guy.”

Assuming Bouk, Whaley, Polley, and Carlton leave next year, who do you think will be the team’s alpha (or the closest thing to it) next year? Know much hinges on the rest of this season, but always fun to speculate.

I think Akok has the best chance to step into the role if he makes solid offensive strides this year. My dark horse candidate is Martin.

If necessary, and only If necessary, I will offer my services. Every team needs a mid 50s 5’10 230 (I think out S&C guys can get me to 205) power forward who can‘t really shoot, and is slow. My passing game is solid though and these young kids need a leader. Someone who remembers the days when Gary Besselink would hip check guys into the stands. Despite my intramural C league efforts, I still have eligibility.

Barring that, I look forward to a team that doesn’t have one go to guy, but which has five or six. Cole, Akok, Sanogo, Martin, Gaffney, Jackson plus the new kids and maybe Adams.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Barring that, I look forward to a team that doesn’t have one go to guy, but which has five or six. Cole, Akok, Sanogo, Martin, Gaffney, Jackson plus the new kids and maybe Adams.
Every good team has a go to guy, we better hope someone makes it clear by seasons end who's next up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Every good team has a go to guy, we better hope someone makes it clear by seasons end who's next up.

1999 didn’t. 2004 didn’t. We just need enough guys who can step up when needed.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
If necessary, and only If necessary, I will offer my services. Every team needs a mid 50s 5’10 230 (I think out S&C guys can get me to 205) power forward who can‘t really shoot, and is slow. My passing game is solid though and these young kids need a leader. Someone who remembers the days when Gary Besselink would hip check guys into the stands. Despite my intramural C league efforts, I still have eligibility.

Dude, love this post. We could be twins - you can pass, I'll rebound hard. Not that I'll get them, but I sure will go at them hard. Think Marky Mark in Basketball Diaries.

Reaction Score
I think we can answer this question a lot better come February or March. I would like to see Cole and Gaffney become that experienced backcourt like we are so used to having.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I was just thinking about this earlier tonight. Bouk is going to leave a giant hole in the lineup. It's going to have to be filled by committee. Not really how you what to operate to be successful in college hoops. Maybe DH will try to run an offense that pounds the ball inside. It will be interesting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
'99 had two of them, one of which was probably the best player in the country. '04 had two of them who were probably the two best players in the country.

Agreed. My point is. Not one. It doesn’t need to be just one.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Do not forget 2011...if Olander does not get the first points of the key games in the tourney to jump start the offense who knows maybe we only score 40 in that championship.

In all seriousness while it is nice to have that one guy to rely on and carry the team I do not think it is really needed. A balanced team that has multiple options is much more dangerous and much tougher to prepare for. It looks like the guys Hurley is bringing in have the potential to be those types of players. Maybe a couple do not pan out in that sense but it is nice to have a pool to look to.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score

1608037980865.png

Reaction Score
1999 didn’t. 2004 didn’t. We just need enough guys who can step up when needed.
What? If RIP in 1999 and Ben in 2004 weren't considered go to guys I don't know how you define go to to guys. Plus they had Khalid and Emeka. I suggest you go to UConn games.com and watch games from those seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom