Alot of different thoughts | The Boneyard

Alot of different thoughts

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
So we head to Oregon to face Duke. Still not healthy, we need to stay out of foul trouble. Caroline is still not healthy with her neck stiffness. I have to wonder if thats all it is at this point. Its been a long time. BTW it really none of our business. Dorka out too and 'The Griff" has proven she can be a spark that can handle the starting position. The questions are when will Caroline and Dorka be healthy to play quality minutes. We have a very short bench and need them. As good as we look now a few players in foul trouble and we could have a problem.

My other thought is when Dorka is healthy will she start or will Griff? Think about this. Dorka had and is recovering from an injured wrist and a broken thumb. She looked pretty good coming back from the wrist injury now the thumb. I think both Dorka and Griff see starters minutes. Both have proven their valuable assets to the team. We will need them close to 100% later in the season for sure. Nika and Griff bring so much pressure to our defense especially on opponents guards. They are both stoppers and bring intimidation which makes it difficult for opponents offenses to flow smoothly. If we face Iowa they will meet Catlin Clark and she will be a tall order, however nothing they cant handle.

Some other thoughts. How is the portal working??? We've seen teams ranked high in the beginning of the season only to fall hard. Why with all that talent? IMO you throw a bunch of talent together without chemistry and without leadership and your looking at disappointment. It takes time to build team chemistry. Chemistry is created by practice and playing together and a leader must be at the point to run the team. One or two players added to a roster from the portal or transfers could work their way into a teams flow and learn to play within the teams concept and build on chemistry however bringing in more players does not always seem to work and we've seen that.

Another thought. We are blessed with Azzi and Nika at the point and Ines learning the system. We have 2 starting point guards who are really good and are leaders on the floor. Other teams dont have a point guard and play point guard by committee. Look at some of the top teams losses and see where they fall apart. IMO its team chemistry and lack of leadership at the point. Some teams have some really good players who are good one on one but not facilitators on the floor. This leads to disaster.

Edwards looked really good and especially very little hesitation underneath with the ball. She will get alot of bigs in foul trouble continuing to do what she does. UConns defense is suffocating with their doubling down when the ball goes inside puts more pressure on opponents. As aggressive as UConn plays we have managed to stay out of foul trouble. We must continue to do so.

To start the season we were ranked 6th in most polls. Texas and Tenn ahead of us were built on transfers and portal players. Both are struggling now. UConn with 4 key injuries has moved up to 3 in the polls. Geno builds teams, and builds players and most of all he has done it over 30+ years and continues. This is probably the greatest thing he has accomplished and done it for a long time, without missing a step. You hear about coaches yelling at their players and Geno does too however his kids know he loves them. They also know his intentions are to make them better then they've ever dreamed. Genos results speak for themselves. Bottom line Geno knows how to make kids successful and if you doubt it just look at all the international players who are thrilled at the opportunity to have "just a chance" "just a chance" to play for him.

At some point Geno will retire. I believe UConn learned after seeing great coaches retire from their programs that they must have Geno's replacement in the wings and ready to step in. I would expect over the next few seasons that that replacement will be on board working with Geno. Will Geno ever retire???? I think initially he will stay onboard to work with who ever is brought in to replace him. What Geno has built is a legendary program and a very valuable asset in itself. UConn will not let that die with Genos retirement. They will keep him on board in a lesser capacity giving him his freedom to work with the coaches and the team until they can continue on their own.

One last thought. If you made alot of food how bout putting a plate or 2 together and dropping it off that the American Legion or VFW for those who would appreciated it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and God Bless.

Reaction Score
Some other thoughts. How is the portal working??? We've seen teams ranked high in the beginning of the season only to fall hard. Why with all that talent? IMO you throw a bunch of talent together without chemistry and without leadership and your looking at disappointment. It takes time to build team chemistry. Chemistry is created by practice and playing together and a leader must be at the point to run the team. One or two players added to a roster from the portal or transfers could work their way into a teams flow and learn to play within the teams concept and build on chemistry however bringing in more players does not always seem to work and we've seen that.

Texas and Tenn ahead of us were built on transfers and portal players. Both are struggling now. UConn with 4 key injuries has moved up to 3 in the polls.
Anyone who bothers to read my comments knows I am not, not a fan of the portal in general or using it to construct a roster. Picking up a transfer or two to help fill in a gap is one thing, but adding 3 to 5 players from other rosters to me just doesn't seem to be a good way to build a program.

Vic did a wonderful job at MSU getting diamonds in the rough and developing those players. He was oh so close to a title I wonder if he's just pulling out all the stops at this point to see what works. I still think he's one of the best 5 coaches in the sport behind Geno, Tara, Kim and Dawn.

Texas and UT have failed to live up to expectations while UConn has exceeded them. If Fudd plays like this all season it's scary to think how good both she and PB could be healthy at the same time.

Reaction Score
If no one else is injured or sick, I believe we can go far with the team we now have, God willing. I agree that when we are up to full strength, we will be formidable and next year, we will be unbeatable. GO HUSKIES!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We don't have Paige, that is true. But as Nika said in the post game presser, they have been down this road before and know how to adjust. Even with Dorka sidelined, the offense is really flowing extremely well. The offense will continue to grow, especially with Caroline getting healthy and regaining her stroke. Ayanna will continue to develop as she gets more playing time. She has the skills and will be a vital factor all season.

Defense is always a work in progress adjusting to a different team every few days. But the basics are there considering what the team did to Texas and NC State.

What has been the scariest to me so far, is how Azzi piles up the points and you don't really realized it. And she is doing it within the flow of the game! She is not running and gunning as some do. Nika at the point has a lot to do with this and others getting good scoring opportunities.

I also agree with TonyC that Geno has been very selective in who he accepts as a transfer. As Geno said in his post game NC State presser, the portal/ "fee agency" is going be the downfall for many teams. Texas and Tennessee are the two prime example right now.

sun

Reaction Score
Some other teams will step it up before the end of the season.
UConn is fortunate to have such high performing players, especially our transfers.

I can't help but wonder if the collective NIL money has an affect on players at some schools, especially on transfer players who are only there for their 5th year.
Once they're on the team what's their incentive to excel for the money that they're essentially getting by virtue of simply being there.
I'm not so sure that it's the chemistry when it could be that they're just going through the motions to last through their 5th year to collect their pay checks.
All of this stuff is happening in the dark but we can still speculate about the effect of payola.
Maybe they're just like mercenaries without having any real dog in the fight, unless they have a chance of going somewhere in the NCAAT's or the WNBA.

UConn fans should be ecstatic at the prospect of UConn going undefeated into the South Carolina game.
That should be the next regular season showdown game of the year now that Stanford has lost to them.
The Stanford game was an indication that anything can happen when the top teams play to vie for #1.
Our Scar game is several months away in Feb. and anything can happen before then.

When Boston got called for throwing an elbow during their game it showed that she can act desperate.
It didn't make her look good.
She also spent a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble.
Scar was fortunate to have enough depth of bigs to win that game, and Stanford has elite bigs too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So we head to Oregon to face Duke. Still not healthy, we need to stay out of foul trouble. Caroline is still not healthy with her neck stiffness. I have to wonder if thats all it is at this point. Its been a long time. BTW it really none of our business. Dorka out too and 'The Griff" has proven she can be a spark that can handle the starting position. The questions are when will Caroline and Dorka be healthy to play quality minutes. We have a very short bench and need them. As good as we look now a few players in foul trouble and we could have a problem.

My other thought is when Dorka is healthy will she start or will Griff? Think about this. Dorka had and is recovering from an injured wrist and a broken thumb. She looked pretty good coming back from the wrist injury now the thumb. I think both Dorka and Griff see starters minutes. Both have proven their valuable assets to the team. We will need them close to 100% later in the season for sure. Nika and Griff bring so much pressure to our defense especially on opponents guards. They are both stoppers and bring intimidation which makes it difficult for opponents offenses to flow smoothly. If we face Iowa they will meet Catlin Clark and she will be a tall order, however nothing they cant handle.

Another thought. We are blessed with Azzi and Nika at the point and Ines learning the system. We have 2 starting point guards who are really good and are leaders on the floor. Other teams dont have a point guard and play point guard by committee. Look at some of the top teams losses and see where they fall apart. IMO its team chemistry and lack of leadership at the point. Some teams have some really good players who are good one on one but not facilitators on the floor. This leads to disaster.

Edwards looked really good and especially very little hesitation underneath with the ball. She will get alot of bigs in foul trouble continuing to do what she does. UConns defense is suffocating with their doubling down when the ball goes inside puts more pressure on opponents. As aggressive as UConn plays we have managed to stay out of foul trouble. We must continue to do so.

To start the season we were ranked 6th in most polls. Texas and Tenn ahead of us were built on transfers and portal players. Both are struggling now. UConn with 4 key injuries has moved up to 3 in the polls. Geno builds teams, and builds players and most of all he has done it over 30+ years and continues. This is probably the greatest thing he has accomplished and done it for a long time, without missing a step. You hear about coaches yelling at their players and Geno does too however his kids know he loves them. They also know his intentions are to make them better then they've ever dreamed. Genos results speak for themselves. Bottom line Geno knows how to make kids successful and if you doubt it just look at all the international players who are thrilled at the opportunity to have "just a chance" "just a chance" to play for him.

At some point Geno will retire. I believe UConn learned after seeing great coaches retire from their programs that they must have Geno's replacement in the wings and ready to step in. I would expect over the next few seasons that that replacement will be on board working with Geno. Will Geno ever retire???? I think initially he will stay onboard to work with who ever is brought in to replace him. What Geno has built is a legendary program and a very valuable asset in itself. UConn will not let that die with Genos retirement. They will keep him on board in a lesser capacity giving him his freedom to work with the coaches and the team until they can continue on their own.

One last thought. If you made alot of food how bout putting a plate or 2 together and dropping it off that the American Legion or VFW for those who would appreciated it.

A lot of good thoughts.
I just scanned Duke's roster, 17 on the roster, 11 transferred in. Even over a couple of years time that is difficult to gel a team together. Unfortunately the portal is her to stay. A few weeks back I was watching UCLA football game and they said 19 players transferred in before this season. Unbelievable.

I think Geno is not going to benefit greatly from the portal. His system is tough to learn for a talented freshman, never mind a transfer that would have to unlearn bad habits.

Speaking of bad habits, every time a UConn player comes out of the game they take a seat next to CD. Valuable communication and lessons learned in a minute or two. I saw Boston come out of the Stanford game and go sit on the far end of the bench, far away from any coach. Most teams do the same thing. Makes no sense.

I hope UConn plays Iowa on Sunday. I want to see Aubrey and Nika shut Caitlyn Clark down.

Reaction Score
Nika, Azzi, Aliyah, and Aubrey to start for me- then choose who is 5th player depending on opponent. Has to be Lou right now due to injuries. Once Dorka is back, then if need inside height/muscle, go with her, or maybe Ayanna even. Once Caroline is back, she goes in the mix too. Good problem to have! Imagine how difficult the decisions would be if Paige and Ice were available.

Reaction Score
There are things that happen in team sports that can neither be predicted or planned for. If someone proposed a “what if” scenario 6 months ago that asked: How would the team do against 2 top 10 teams if we didn’t have Paige, Dorka and Ice, there would have been some hopeful skepticism at best (except for Tony of course who keeps us all in a positive mood regardless of the situation.)

So, why have we seen this team exceed all realistic expectations with amazing and record breaking performances? Coaching and deep talent for sure but I think there is something else that has kicked in. I’ll call it NIKA BALL. This team is playing NIKA BALL. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this team play with the intensity like we saw in the NC STATE game, especially at the start of the game when we went out to a 9-0 lead. There was an attitude and effort that looked like there were 5 Nika’s on the court.

I mentioned in another topic that without injuries, we don’t see the starting 5 we saw against NC STATE. And look what happened…..assist record broken, steals, shooting excellence. You just never know about chemistry in team sports until it happens. The mantra around here had been “We have Paige. You don’t. Today it’s “We have Nika. You don’t.” IMO, her attitude and effort has been contagious. It’s the reason this team has excelled up to now. She refuses to lose.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Start Dorka for the height and bring Aubrey off the bench for the boost in physicality. I agree with Tony, though, that both will play starters minutes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
These are exceptionally in shape athletes and 48 hrs is plenty of rest between games. It also mirrors the NCAA Tournament scheduling
Geno does like to schedule a couple games like that per season. Especially 2 away games a day apart.

Reaction Score
We can go as far as Azzi can take us, which to me is FF at this point. I'm hoping they can transition to the top team but that is still not likely. we need the rebounding and defense. One would think Aubrey is a key to that. We need to find her PT. Somehow, Someway. I was more concerned about PT for Caroline but now I think Aubrey is even more of a priority. She has been consistently great so far this year. You could make a case for her being our second most valuable player after Azzi.

Reaction Score
If UConn can continue to play with confidence and determination, the Team will put up a good showing against any team that chooses to get on the court with them. UConn, now has multiple threats in scoring from a variety of avenues and that makes them dangerous to any opponent. Geno will continue to emphasize Defense and may change tactics depending upon the opponent and that will also confuse opposition.

If the Team can remain injury free for the rest of the season and bring back Dorka and Caroline to full strength, the UConn Women will enter the tournment with the proper seasoning to compete at a very high level.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am hoping (and think it is definitely possible) that the NIL money will be enough to make it worthwhile to spend her extra year at UConn. She will be a multi-millionaire by then,if she is not already, and the things she and AZZI could accomplish together might jack their values up way beyond what they could make for Fehnerbache or whomever.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If Nika was on Texas, she would start alongside Harmon. Think UConn

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I am hoping (and think it is definitely possible) that the NIL money will be enough to make it worthwhile to spend her extra year at UConn. She will be a multi-millionaire by then,if she is not already, and the things she and AZZI could accomplish together might jack their values up way beyond what they could make for Fehnerbache or whomever.

Will Paige be worth money if she keeps getting injured?

Reaction Score
This team is playing NIKA BALL. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this team play with the intensity like we saw in the NC STATE game, especially at the start of the game when we went out to a 9-0 lead. There was an attitude and effort that looked like there were 5 Nika’s on the court.
I love NIKA BALL!!! It's perfect for November. I wonder if we can play it all year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

WILCO!
Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless you @Tonyc.

Reaction Score
aubrey needs to learn still to play with total confidence and take those shots that arent layups when shes free. and God bless you tonyc for your thoughts of kind gestures for our veterans. :)

Reaction Score
aubrey needs to learn still to play with total confidence and take those shots that arent layups when shes free. and God bless you tonyc for your thoughts of kind gestures for our veterans. :)
Aubrey has done exactly that, played with confidence and taken the open shots when they were available. She's made a couple threes and some midrange shots over the past couple games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom