All's not fair | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All's not fair

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wrong. The revenue makers are usually 1 and done or maybe 2 years. They are recruited to win thus bringing money to the school. Degree be damned! Let be honest.
You miss the point. They are being paid whether the achieve a degree or not; it is on them and them alone. Everyone knows Ridiculous amounts of money are received by the schools, NCAA, and the coaches. They know ALL of college sports is corrupt. So why not corrupt the players with NIL. If you thought the transfer portal was overflowing, you ain't seen nothing. There are plenty of real students who would gladly change places. It isn't just NCAA that needs changing. It is all of college sports. How does UCONN justify committing $15M to Geno for a money loser like the women's basketball program?

Reaction Score
You miss the point. They are being paid whether the achieve a degree or not; it is on them and them alone. Everyone knows Ridiculous amounts of money are received by the schools, NCAA, and the coaches. They know ALL of college sports is corrupt. So why not corrupt the players with NIL. If you thought the transfer portal was overflowing, you ain't seen nothing. There are plenty of real students who would gladly change places. It isn't just NCAA that needs changing. It is all of college sports. How does UCONN justify committing $15M to Geno for a money loser like the women's basketball program?
Point taken.

Reaction Score
There will be football teams where the glamor guy the QB makes a lot of money, and doesn't take care of the uglies up front, and finds out what life is like.
Sure, he's gonna give all his offensive linemen $1,000. Then mail them a 1099 in January. All on the advise of their money person.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Huh? I think the previous poster was saying some college players won’t work hard to protect the star QB. I say false. College linemen will do their job or be replaced. Some linemen are trying to make the NFL. What their college QB makes on his NIL makes them no mind.
Disagree on your points here…I turned down UCONN Football back in the day to go play D1 Football…which was a mistake on my part…1 injury and your done…Life goes on…

My point here is that 1st hand experience showed me and big part of coaching is forging the team…

Mutiny does occur your dealing with big people with bigger egos…and they don’t need the school, the school needs them to win games, conferences and titles…

The notion that you don’t perform your replaced is bunk, star offensive lineman ain’t taking any crap from any QB…Being a lineman is the core brotherhood on a football team…

And my point is proven by the rollout of NIL in college sports…NCAA and schools know it…If they believed they can just replace as you say…NIL would never have happened!

You never heard of NFL QB’s buying the whole Offensive line Vehicles after Super Bowl or making playoffs ?

With the money coming through NIL your going to see that in college now…

Reaction Score
“The notion that you don’t perform your replaced is bunk, star offensive lineman ain’t taking any crap from any QB…Being a lineman is the core brotherhood on a football team…”

Huh, a “star” lineman is someone who does his job and performs right? I’m confused. Are you saying that if the star QB doesn’t share the wealth of his NIL then a lineman may not do his job and the coach will continue to let said lineman stay on the line and not replace him?

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
“The notion that you don’t perform your replaced is bunk, star offensive lineman ain’t taking any crap from any QB…Being a lineman is the core brotherhood on a football team…”

Huh, a “star” lineman is someone who does his job and performs right? I’m confused. Are you saying that if the star QB doesn’t share the wealth of his NIL then a lineman may not do his job and the coach will continue to let said lineman stay on the line and not replace him?
I agree with this point, and also with the earlier point that the star lineman probably has NFL ambitions, which will be endangered if he is observed not doing his job (and they have individual cameras on every player during a big college game). Moreover, if word gets out that the reason the lineman is dogging it is that he wanted more moolah from the QB than the QB chose to give him, that will seal his fate as far as an NFL career is concerned.

Having said that, it can't be good for team cohesion and team success if there is even sub rosa grumbling by linemen about the QB's failure to share the wealth, or annoyance on the part of the QB with linemen who have a monetary agenda. I do think NIL will make achieving team cohesion a greater challenge, both in the selection of players and in the coach's management of their egos. Just another skill that coaches and players will have to develop and expect in others.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score

Keep in mind the additional pc that erodes coaches ability to hold players accountable…they get a free pass on transferring now…

Giving more thought I am wondering if the Rick Pitino coaching approach doesn’t make its way into college football you develop at other school and the roll in to a school junior year and play for a share of the NIL money, National exposure and titles …

If that happens then 100% of what you said is True! Coaches would hold a players present and future…

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Smart athletic departments will also have "brand" coaches as another selling point to lure student athletes to their campuses. This is just another instance of the Power 5 schools distancing themselves from the smaller schools, which is a shame, imho.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind the additional pc that erodes coaches ability to hold players accountable…they get a free pass on transferring now…

Giving more thought I am wondering if the Rick Pitino coaching approach doesn’t make its way into college football you develop at other school and the roll in to a school junior year and play for a share of the NIL money, National exposure and titles …

If that happens then 100% of what you said is True! Coaches would hold a players present and future…
Explain the additional PC? Personal coaching? If you’re saying political correctness, explain or give an example.

Reaction Score
Here I thought they were being paid with an education resulting in a degree which cost other students on average $35,720 per annum according to educationdata.org.
View attachment 69676
If the players generate more income than the cost of their tuition and whatever else...I wouldn't call that being paid. "Revenue Generating" sports often carry the cost of the program IN ADDITION to funding other aspects of the school. NOTHING is free. There are NON ATHLETES whose scholarships (partial or full...grants and loans) are supported by these revenues. NIL makes me nervous, but it's a no brainer. I had a job when I was a student...and I don't see this as providing any opportunity to make money than you would afford a non athlete.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Explain the additional PC? Personal coaching? If you’re saying political correctness, explain or give an example.
Sorry I should have wrote the word, I work in manufacturing, pc = piece, pcs = pieces has its own acronyms not always in common usage or can be interpreted in most familiar form by folks outside of mfg.

I referred to piece because I think NIL has added a lot of complexity to college sports. It has become a more complicated puzzle. I see limited good and a lot of not so good.

I enjoy the women’s game because they exude excellence and team work.

Universities espouse Diversity Equity Inclusion if that is what young people really believe, own and buy into why would it be okay for a teammate you play alongside to become a millionaire in college and you get nothing?

What of the Equity story ? Without teammates to block for you or pass to, what use are your skills? What NIL contracts would you receive?

Reaction Score
If the players generate more income than the cost of their tuition and whatever else...I wouldn't call that being paid. "Revenue Generating" sports often carry the cost of the program IN ADDITION to funding other aspects of the school. NOTHING is free. There are NON ATHLETES whose scholarships (partial or full...grants and loans) are supported by these revenues. NIL makes me nervous, but it's a no brainer. I had a job when I was a student...and I don't see this as providing any opportunity to make money than you would afford a non athlete.

Very few athletes generate more income than the cost to the school of any sports program, never mind the cost of the scholarship. Football generates positive income for the P-5 schools but the cost of running a football program far exceeds the income at most schools.
When I saw autographed photos of college stars selling on line for hundreds of dollars I knew that someone other than the player was making money and that is unjust. But I think that the number of college athletes getting rich on NIL will be far fewer than some expect but that the issue will be milked by the media.

Reaction Score
Very few athletes generate more income than the cost to the school of any sports program, never mind the cost of the scholarship. Football generates positive income for the P-5 schools but the cost of running a football program far exceeds the income at most schools.
When I saw autographed photos of college stars selling on line for hundreds of dollars I knew that someone other than the player was making money and that is unjust. But I think that the number of college athletes getting rich on NIL will be far fewer than some expect but that the issue will be milked by the media.
You are very correct. This NIL has about a 1000 different scenarios that can be bad. Very few student-athletes will make significant income.

When states were trying to enact laws to control NIL, the State of Iowa proposed that the student-athlete had to repay their scholarship first before they could make money. That was a proposal and I don't think it passed. Maybe that wasn't a bad idea. Maybe the scholarship amount of $30-70K would be a good measuring stick. If you can't make that amount, then don't bother. Go to class and play your sport and be done with it.

This is uncharted territory. The rules of NIL will change.

Reaction Score
When off court/field activity overshadows the games themselves, I’m gone.
Already tuned out several- NBA and NFL ( yes, NFL) included.
More entertainment options now available than ever before.
Don’t push it.....

Reaction Score
When off court/field activity overshadows the games themselves, I’m gone.
Already tuned out several- NBA and NFL ( yes, NFL) included.
More entertainment options now available than ever before.
Don’t push it.....
They’re gonna miss you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom