All's not fair | The Boneyard

All's not fair

Reaction Score
Noah Buono, a walk-on at Duquesne men's bb team, figured he could get along on a pizza/week. So he approached a local restaurant and offered to wear a t-shirt + hoodie touting the eatery in exchange for one free pizza a week. Almost, but no deal. Buono groused that if he were a football QB he'd have succeeded. Bummer.
So not everyone is attracting money for his/her NIL. The H. Cavinders were an early hit with companies, but the twins have gobs of social media followers, are attractive in their persons, and put up almost 40 points/game between them for Fresno State. The women check all of the essential boxes. Anyone who falls short, such as Noah, doesn't get a piece of the pie, pizza or otherwise.
Now the NIL revolution has spawned something called a “personal brand coach.” For a fee, this person will help student/athletes build a brand to cash in where possible. Duquesne has employed such a coach, and Buono is working on creating himself in the necessary image. Other colleges and universities have gotten involved. Do you agree that “it's the school's obligation and responsibility to best set up these young people for success”? (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/07/nil-money-college-athletes-non-stars/)
In the essay cited above, the writer points out that with all of the other stresses placed on young student/athletes, having the make additional time to inflate their “brands” is a bridge too far.
But it seems to me that generations of aspirants have both studied and worked their way through school. I'm not so sure that everyone is entitled to a leg up in pursuit of moolah. Maybe Noah could offer to work at the pizza joint and earn a pizza/week. Radical.

Reaction Score
Did any rational person think it was going to play out otherwise? Already, two BIG10 quarterback recruits have essentially skipped their senior year of HS and enrolled early in college to enjoy the fruits of the NIL. The NIL has changed the landscape of college sports, period. We shall see how it plays out but anytime $ is involved unintended consequences always seem to evolve.

Reaction Score
Did any rational person think it was going to play out otherwise? Already, two BIG10 quarterback recruits have essentially skipped their senior year of HS and enrolled early in college to enjoy the fruits of the NIL. The NIL has changed the landscape of college sports, period. We shall see how it plays out but anytime $ is involved unintended consequences always seem to evolve.
True dat!

Reaction Score
This is one of those times when I hate to be proven right.

That young man nailed it 100%. IMO we're going to see increasing envy & resentment and some teams actually imploding over NIL. The majority of scholarship athletes have very little expectation of a professional career in their sport once their eligibility is used up. This isn't going to go well.

Reaction Score
. I'm not so sure that everyone is entitled to a leg up in pursuit of moolah. Maybe Noah could offer to work at the pizza joint and earn a pizza/week. Radical.
Above is the best.
everyone doesn’t have a “brand” or following. Knowing that is half the battle. The other half is doing what you need to do in college the old fashion way.
I don’t see any unfairness with the students or athletes. The unfairness was when the billion dollar industry know as the NCAA profited solely off of the kids working to bring in the revenue an know some of these athletes are NOT students. Gimme a break!

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is expecting too much but I think a few of the top players (Paige, the twins, Caitlin?) might work out some kind of deal that could include the entire team (in some sort of accompanying role) so they could get some $ too, I realize it is not their duty to do this, but for some, it could help out some of the “no names” while improving team chemistry and nipping any potential resentment in the bud. Disclaimer: I don’t really know who has the kind of social media presence that could afford this kind of thing or if it is even possible.The only ones I’m sure about are Paige and the twins. I am not saying they are duty bound or that they should be “guilted” into it, merely that I’m sure there are some players out there who would do something like this if they could.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps this is expecting too much but I think a few of the top players (Paige, the twins, Caitlin?) might work out some kind of deal that could include the entire team (in some sort of accompanying role) so they could get some $ too, I realize it is not their duty to do this, but for some, it could help out some of the “no names” while improving team chemistry and nipping any potential resentment in the bud.
There will be football teams where the glamor guy the QB makes a lot of money, and doesn't take care of the uglies up front, and finds out what life is like.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is expecting too much but I think a few of the top players (Paige, the twins, Caitlin?) might work out some kind of deal that could include the entire team (in some sort of accompanying role) so they could get some $ too, I realize it is not their duty to do this, but for some, it could help out some of the “no names” while improving team chemistry and nipping any potential resentment in the bud. Disclaimer: I don’t really know who has the kind of social media presence that could afford this kind of thing or if it is even possible.The only ones I’m sure about are Paige and the twins. I am not saying they are duty bound or that they should be “guilted” into it, merely that I’m sure there are some players out there who would do something like this if they could.
Yes too much.

Reaction Score
There will be football teams where the glamor guy the QB makes a lot of money, and doesn't take care of the uglies up front, and finds out what life is like.
Not in college. Stop making things up.

Reaction Score
That’s called Welfare. Throwing crumbs at people would probably cause more resentment. As I said before, the NIL will mirror society. There will be the very wealthy 1% and the remaining 99% will have to be satisfied with a free college education.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not so sure this is much different from the media awareness training that most high profile colleges already provide to their athletes. Uconn works with the incoming students to prepare them for the horde.

And is it that different from various courses in business schools on brand management and PR issues? Just because it has immediate and financial implications doesn't make the concept of education false.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can see it now: At Easter time, “Hi! I’m Paige, and these are my peeps. Some people would call them teammates. I love them. I also love Marshmallow Peeps. I hope you have great teammates. But, whether you do or not, you can always get yourself some delicious Marshmallow Peeps. Happy Easter!”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That’s called Welfare. Throwing crumbs at people would probably cause more resentment. As I said before, the NIL will mirror society. There will be the very wealthy 1% and the remaining 99% will have to be satisfied with a free college education.
I had seen a quote (I do not remember where) where Evina was asked what would happen (to team chemistry sic) if Paige gets lucrative deals in comparison to the other players, Her answer was

"I would not have any problem if Paige made 1 million dollars and I made 20 dollars but she better pick up the check."

If some one can find the quote, that would be nice to post.

Reaction Score
As I said in my post, there is no expectation that they (Paige, for example) would be doing anything more than simply sharing a small part of their success with their teammates. Enough for some kind of special treat or luxury that they would not otherwise be able to afford. Sure, she could simply buy them something, but allowing them to participate in the commercial (for example) makes them feel that it is something more than just a handout from the star of the team. I don’t even know if something like that could be arranged but it would likely boost team chemistry and show that she (or whoever) is aware of her good fortune and knows that others are not so fortunate. As for your comment about welfare, I simply disagree that offering my teammates a chance to be in my commercial (for example) and to be paid for their appearance, would constitute welfare. That would imply that every helping hand in history, no matter how generously and sincerely tendered, is simply “welfare”. I’m afraid I can’t agree with that outlook.

Reaction Score
I had seen a quote (I do not remember where) where Evina was asked what would happen (to team chemistry sic) if Paige gets lucrative deals in comparison to the other players, Her answer was

"I would not have any problem if Paige made 1 million dollars and I made 20 dollars but she better pick up the check."

If some one can find the quote, that would be nice to post.
Yet another example of Mama E’s maturity and common sense.

Reaction Score
As I said in my post, there is no expectation that they (Paige, for example) would be doing anything more than simply sharing a small part of their success with their teammates. Enough for some kind of special treat or luxury that they would not otherwise be able to afford. Sure, she could simply buy them something, but allowing them to participate in the commercial (for example) makes them feel that it is something more than just a handout from the star of the team. I don’t even know if something like that could be arranged but it would likely boost team chemistry and show that she (or whoever) is aware of her good fortune and knows that others are not so fortunate. As for your comment about welfare, I simply disagree that offering my teammates a chance to be in my commercial (for example) and to be paid for their appearance, would constitute welfare. That would imply that every helping hand in history, no matter how generously and sincerely tendered, is simply “welfare”. I’m afraid I can’t agree with that outlook.
You’re thinking too hard on this. Relax

Reaction Score
There are going to be far fewer millionaires than some here seem to be predicting. I'd take a wild guess that you will be able to count the 100K+ earners in WCBB on your fingers and that 95%+ of the D1 programs will have no one earning more than a couple grand.
There is only so much money spent on advertising and though it's likely a very impressive amount any college athlete entering the market will push someone else out.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Not in college. Stop making things up.
Even happens in HS Sports, knocks your stats down for a bit till you figure out you need to improve as a teammate, genuinely acknowledging your teammates is part of the learning curve of team sports.

Reaction Score
Not sure what this has to do with NIL. As a walk-on, Noah is probably low man on the totem-pole and not very recognizable to the general public (sorry if that's wrong, but I didn't read the article). He really just offered the pizza joint to become a human sandwich-board. Heck, I could do that. Now if he offered to post a picture of himself in the pizza parlor window, that would involve NIL.

Reaction Score
Even happens in HS Sports, knocks your stats down for a bit till you figure out you need to improve as a teammate, genuinely acknowledging your teammates is part of the learning curve of team sports.
Huh? I think the previous poster was saying some college players won’t work hard to protect the star QB. I say false. College linemen will do their job or be replaced. Some linemen are trying to make the NFL. What their college QB makes on his NIL makes them no mind.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So not everyone is attracting money for his/her NIL. Anyone who falls short, such as Noah, doesn't get a piece of the pie, pizza or otherwise.
Do you agree that “it's the school's obligation and responsibility to best set up these young people for success”?
In the essay cited above, the writer points out that with all of the other stresses placed on young student/athletes, having the make additional time to inflate their “brands” is a bridge too far.
But it seems to me that generations of aspirants have both studied and worked their way through school. I'm not so sure that everyone is entitled to a leg up in pursuit of moolah. Maybe Noah could offer to work at the pizza joint and earn a pizza/week. Radical.
I don't see it is the school's responsibility at all. You can call college students "young people" but they would call themselves adults. As such it is their responsibility to act like an adult. Some of us had to be adults much earlier in life. Consider the child who loses one or both parents. Particularly if they have younger siblings. Some of us had the pressures of working 40 hours per week actually paying for a degree(s), not mooching off the hard work of tax payers who never went to college or had to paid their way through college.
Anyone who believes all athletes will reap the rewards of the NIL legislation is daft. You cannot legislate fairness into life. Any legislature will always result in the haves and have-nots irrespective of it good intentions. Life's unfairness begins with the DNA lottery.
Yes, you are most accurate when you say - "Maybe Noah could offer to work at the pizza joint and earn a pizza/week. Radical."

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The unfairness was when the billion dollar industry know as the NCAA profited solely off of the kids working to bring in the revenue an know some of these athletes are NOT students. Gimme a break!
Here I thought they were being paid with an education resulting in a degree which cost other students on average $35,720 per annum according to educationdata.org.
1631133092729.png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't see it is the school's responsibility at all. You can call college students "young people" but they would call themselves adults. As such it is their responsibility to act like an adult. Some of us had to be adults much earlier in life. Consider the child who loses one or both parents. Particularly if they have younger siblings. Some of us had the pressures of working 40 hours per week actually paying for a degree(s), not mooching off the hard work of tax payers who never went to college or had to paid their way through college.
Anyone who believes all athletes will reap the rewards of the NIL legislation is daft. You cannot legislate fairness into life. Any legislature will always result in the haves and have-nots irrespective of it good intentions. Life's unfairness begins with the DNA lottery.
Yes, you are most accurate when you say - "Maybe Noah could offer to work at the pizza joint and earn a pizza/week. Radical."
Back in the early 70's I tried college at Purdue, too expensive and didn't like it. Joined the Army and got my degree while in the military at a very reduced rate. I didn't need to the college scene to succeed. It's not for everyone, but if they can't afford the tuition and costs maybe they should try through the military. The military forced me to settle down, stay focused, and also helped me GROW UP. I'm not saying it's for everyone but for some they can learn a trade and also get a very good education at the same time. Is this too Radical for the kids now days that want everything on a silver platter and want for free?

Reaction Score
Here I thought they were being paid with an education resulting in a degree which cost other students on average $35,720 per annum according to educationdata.org.
View attachment 69676
Wrong. The revenue makers are usually 1 and done or maybe 2 years. They are recruited to win thus bringing money to the school. Degree be damned! Let be honest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom