Allie Ziebell makes U19 World Cup Team | The Boneyard

Allie Ziebell makes U19 World Cup Team

Reaction Score

The 2023 Women’s U19 National Team includes Madison Booker, Aalyah Del Rosario, Jadyn Donovan, Joyce Edwards, Hannah Hidalgo, Londynn Jones, Chloe Kitts, Talana Lepolo, Cotie McMahon, Kiki Rice, Grace VanSlooten and Allie Ziebell.

Reaction Score

The 2023 Women’s U19 National Team includes Madison Booker, Aalyah Del Rosario, Jadyn Donovan, Joyce Edwards, Hannah Hidalgo, Londynn Jones, Chloe Kitts, Talana Lepolo, Cotie McMahon, Kiki Rice, Grace VanSlooten and Allie Ziebell.
I wonder what the secret game plan will be with 4 PGs.

Reaction Score
It always amazes me that kids with a year of D1 basketball experience want to play in the U19 league. The competition is bound to feel a little tepid to them. This is really a showcase for HS seniors in my way of thinking.

Reaction Score
Allie is going to be make a lot of us here on the Boneyard very happy indeed. She, Morgan, and hopefully, Strong and Koval, will be a class to be reckoned with!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Younger players? The 4 point guards picked for the team are 3 rising sophomores and another who is class of 2023.

Maybe you can explain what I'm missing.
You're right (but of course ;))

'Cat: As per rising sophomores who are point guards, I've got Kiki Rice of UCLA and Talana Lepolo of Stanford. Are you including Londynn Jones of UCLA as a PG, as well? On one hand (and her height), I can see it, but she only had 32 assists last year (way behind Gina Conti and Rice). Technically, I can see her as a PG, but -- in my view -- as a Diamond Johnson type, who can score. Fast.
And Hannah Hidalgo is most certainly the Class of 2023.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bills fan, you’re not alone. I don’t follow the players on the recruiting trail as closely as some others here in the yard. I also didn’t know who the “Morgan” that was being referred to was. :confused: I’ve heard of Morgan Cheli, but I’m not familiar enough with her to know who she is when referred to only by her first name.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Allie is going to be make a lot of us here on the Boneyard very happy indeed. She, Morgan, and hopefully, Strong and Koval, will be a class to be reckoned with!
Looking forward to seeing what she brings to the team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I’m just expressing surprise that they accepted it, or even bothered indicating interest in it from the start. Aren’t you?
(I'm including @Reypl21 on this.)

No, I'm not surprised. This is an age-limit-based tournament, not one set by U.S.A. grades. As the press release from U.S.A. Basketball says: "The roster includes athletes who enrolled early or were college freshman in 2022-23 and members of the high school graduating classes of 2023 or 2024. Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens, born on or after January 1, 2004."

As you know, most of the international entities the U.S. is playing against are largely competing solely on age limits (or no limits at all until this touney), so it's a bit of a mash. It's also an opportunity to play against the best in the world who are your age. And represent your country. That's what brought Caitlin Clark back to play for the last u-19 tourney. She was pretty much the oldest on the team and won the MVP award, but she was excited about participating. If CC is hepped, I can see all the rising sophomores feeling the same.

Lastly, it helps build up the b-ball resume for future endeavors on behalf of the U.S.A.

Reaction Score
(I'm including @Reypl21 on this.)

No, I'm not surprised. This is an age-limit-based tournament, not one set by U.S.A. grades. As the press release from U.S.A. Basketball says: "The roster includes athletes who enrolled early or were college freshman in 2022-23 and members of the high school graduating classes of 2023 or 2024. Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens, born on or after January 1, 2004."

As you know, most of the international entities the U.S. is playing against are largely competing solely on age limits (or no limits at all until this touney), so it's a bit of a mash. It's also an opportunity to play against the best in the world who are your age. And represent your country. That's what brought Caitlin Clark back to play for the last u-19 tourney. She was pretty much the oldest on the team and won the MVP award, but she was excited about participating. If CC is hepped, I can see all the rising sophomores feeling the same.

Lastly, it helps build up the b-ball resume for future endeavors on behalf of the U.S.A.
These all sound like good grownup reasons. But that’s not what I’m talking about. I watched Caitlin’s return to the U19 games and she seemed like an adult playing in the kiddie pool. Maybe you watched those games too and got a different impression. It’s not that the US kids weren’t good — they were — but the competition was a bit below Caitlin’s usual.

Reaction Score
I’m just expressing surprise that they accepted it, or even bothered indicating interest in it from the start. Aren’t you?

It’s not out of the ordinary for them to accept and want to compete. More often than not a lot of the other countries have professional athletes on their roster. I think that’s equally the same as having a year of D1 if not more. I also think having experience and leadership at the most important position is key. I think Rice and Lepolo are good game managers and will lead this team well.

Reaction Score
These all sound like good grownup reasons. But that’s not what I’m talking about. I watched Caitlin’s return to the U19 games and she seemed like an adult playing in the kiddie pool. Maybe you watched those games too and got a different impression. It’s not that the US kids weren’t good — they were — but the competition was a bit below Caitlin’s usual.
I think these players want to represent their country at the highest level for their age group, nothing wrong with that. It's an honor. Regardless if they are way better.

Didn't Stewart play for the World Cup and then played in the PanAmerican Games that fielded collegiate players?

sun

Reaction Score
I'm relieved that KK wasn't selected & now won't risk injury like what happened with Azzi's foot when she played for Team USA.
That injury just about ruined Azzi's freshman season.
IMO KK is better off that Team USA doesn't need her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm relieved that KK wasn't selected & now won't risk injury like what happened with Azzi's foot when she played for Team USA.
That injury just about ruined Azzi's freshman season.
IMO KK is better off that Team USA doesn't need her.
Didn't Azzi also tear her ACL at a Team USA camp?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom