All-time favorite UConn team | The Boneyard

All-time favorite UConn team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Full disclosure: I wasn't a UConn fan yet in 1999. That was simply the year I fell in love with UConn basketball and decided to head 2,000 miles east for college because I needed this program to be a part of the rest of my life.

But I was on campus in 2004 when we witnessed one of the most dominant teams in college basketball history. And I was on the Kemba hype train from the start in 2011 when The Stepback led to the greatest 11-game run in college hoops history. And I got on a plane to Dallas in 2014 because I wasn't going to miss Bazz and the Hungry Huskies cutting down the nets for anything in the world. And I got on a plane to Houston in 2023 because I needed to be in the building when we're back turned into WE'RE BACK once and for all.

And somehow this season has exceeded them all, at a place where exceeding them all should be impossible.

Maybe it's because of the way Donovan stayed home in high school then in college, and changed every game he stepped on the court for two championship seasons.

Maybe it's because of the way Alex felt like an honorary family member after listening to every new podcast episode as soon as it dropped and having conversations with my wife starting with "Did you hear what Karaban said this week?" while watching him play with the highest basketball IQ we've ever seen.

Maybe it's because of the way Tristen went from the weakest link to the straw that stirs the drink for the most dominant stretch in UConn history while bringing calm, cool and collected to a program full of fireballs.

Maybe it's because of the way my two-year-old runs around the house saying "I am Cam Spencer" ever since I showed him the highlights while Cam became as beloved as any four-year Husky in five short months.

Maybe it's because of the way Steph bought in at a level that no five-star one-and-done anywhere does and silenced every doubter by playing his part to perfection instead of playing for his draft stock.

Maybe it's because of the way Samson and Hass stuck around and become the best bench duo in the nation when it would have been so much easier to back down and look for more minutes somewhere else.

Maybe it's because of the way Jaylin Stewart went from unplayable in our system early on to dominating Big East Friday and Saturday night while letting us all know he'll be The Next One.

But above all, it's because of the way this team embodied UConn culture and elevated a program that it should be impossible to elevate. Because of the way this team embraced the challenge of repeating from Day 1 and never once flinched. Because of the way this team made unselfishness the most important trait in the sport by playing for each other and wearing out every opponent it faced in the process. Because of the way this team played the most beautiful offensive basketball we have ever seen and rewatching to see how they did it became as much fun as the actual game itself.

And because of the way that for 39 games, the first question that came to mind after the final buzzer was "When do we get to see these guys play again next?" and because of the way that as soon as the buzzer sounded last night the first two thoughts we had were "Holy #$$@* $@$ they did it!" and "What the heck are we gonna do now that we don't get to watch these guys play together again next week?"

Yes, we'll be back in the mix next year. And the year after that. And the year after that. But no matter when No. 7 comes -- and in the words of Dan Hurley: It's coming -- is there any way it can exceed this? It seems impossible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been a fan for 44 years. This team is my favorite of all. I've never seen any group work so well together. Hurley has built something magnificent.

The awards and accomplishment of this group are stunning. First Team All American, Cousy Award Winner, National Coach of the Year, BE Freshman of the Year, BE 6th Man of The Year, Two on the All Big East First Team, record for most consecutive double digit wins in the tourney, most wins in a season by any UConn team... just total domination.

Reaction Score
I can certainly see why this is someone's favorite. I don't think any team sacrificed as much for each other as this team's did. The collective will was great. The offense was the best in history.

I still have a special place for 99, 04 and 14. 14 because those were tough times for UConn, from the fallout of not getting an ACC invite, to getting unfairly banned, to being a huge underdog with moxie.

14 will be a special team for me always. My #2.

1999 had toughness, will and the best player in college basketball, and the Duke upset was the greatest UConn game of all time. They are my #3.

2004 was our best team so they're #1.

This 23 team should be #1 but I have a special place for the previous 3 I mentioned

Reaction Score
I still love the NIT Champs, the Dream Season, Toby and Wes, and I will always love the '76 team that kicked Providence's and New Haven's Soupy Cambell's (who dissed us) asses in Springfield.

No favorite's for me. Or better yet, they are all my favorites

Poe

Reaction Score
This team is the blueprint. It is what every college team should aspire to be. The perfect balance and mix of players. Not sure it can be duplicated, but it should be the standard that teams should strive for.

Reaction Score
I love all my children equally, but I only have 1. This team is special because they were so solid throughout the year. But Shabazz and Boat, those two dunk machines, and the 2014 hungry Huskies is super special

Reaction Score
I still love the NIT Champs, the Dream Season, Toby and Wes, and I will always love the '76 team that kicked Providence's and New Haven's Soupy Cambell's (who dissed us) asses in Springfield.

No favorite's for me. Or better yet, they are all my favorites
I'm with you. The 63-64 that beat Princeton and Bill Bradley with Toby Kimball, Dom Perno,et.al.
64-65, Toby, Wes, Spider Hesford, Holowaty, The Dream Season that nearly beat Duke, 99-2000 Champs, 04 with Okafor, and the others. Fan since 1960.

Reaction Score
Full disclosure: I wasn't a UConn fan yet in 1999. That was simply the year I fell in love with UConn basketball and decided to head 2,000 miles east for college because I needed this program to be a part of the rest of my life.

But I was on campus in 2004 when we witnessed one of the most dominant teams in college basketball history. And I was on the Kemba hype train from the start in 2011 when The Stepback led to the greatest 11-game run in college hoops history. And I got on a plane to Dallas in 2014 because I wasn't going to miss Bazz and the Hungry Huskies cutting down the nets for anything in the world. And I got on a plane to Houston in 2023 because I needed to be in the building when we're back turned into WE'RE BACK once and for all.

And somehow this season has exceeded them all, at a place where exceeding them all should be impossible.

Maybe it's because of the way Donovan stayed home in high school then in college, and changed every game he stepped on the court for two championship seasons.

Maybe it's because of the way Alex felt like an honorary family member after listening to every new podcast episode as soon as it dropped and having conversations with my wife starting with "Did you hear what Karaban said this week?" while watching him play with the highest basketball IQ we've ever seen.

Maybe it's because of the way Tristen went from the weakest link to the straw that stirs the drink for the most dominant stretch in UConn history while bringing calm, cool and collected to a program full of fireballs.

Maybe it's because of the way my two-year-old runs around the house saying "I am Cam Spencer" ever since I showed him the highlights while Cam became as beloved as any four-year Husky in five short months.

Maybe it's because of the way Steph bought in at a level that no five-star one-and-done anywhere does and silenced every doubter by playing his part to perfection instead of playing for his draft stock.

Maybe it's because of the way Samson and Hass stuck around and become the best bench duo in the nation when it would have been so much easier to back down and look for more minutes somewhere else.

Maybe it's because of the way Jaylin Stewart went from unplayable in our system early on to dominating Big East Friday and Saturday night while letting us all know he'll be The Next One.

But above all, it's because of the way this team embodied UConn culture and elevated a program that it should be impossible to elevate. Because of the way this team embraced the challenge of repeating from Day 1 and never once flinched. Because of the way this team made unselfishness the most important trait in the sport by playing for each other and wearing out every opponent it faced in the process. Because of the way this team played the most beautiful offensive basketball we have ever seen and rewatching to see how they did it became as much fun as the actual game itself.

And because of the way that for 39 games, the first question that came to mind after the final buzzer was "When do we get to see these guys play again next?" and because of the way that as soon as the buzzer sounded last night the first two thoughts we had were "Holy #$$@* $@$ they did it!" and "What the heck are we gonna do now that we don't get to watch these guys play together again next week?"

Yes, we'll be back in the mix next year. And the year after that. And the year after that. But no matter when No. 7 comes -- and in the words of Dan Hurley: It's coming -- is there any way it can exceed this? It seems impossible.
Such a well written post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01