All Time “Above Their Head” UConn Performances | Page 3 | The Boneyard

All Time “Above Their Head” UConn Performances

Reaction Score
A bunch of you have brought up worthy candidates, but I have to agree with Waquoit on this. Toraino Walker's performance in the 1990 BET as an off-the-bench Freshman against 2 guys who turned out to be good NBA players and were already upper classmen in Alonzo Mourning and Derrick Coleman in back-to-back games is the winner here.

Why does Toraino's performance that weekend stand out above all others either before or since?

First of all, the context - He averaged 2.7 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for the entire year. For most of the year, he wasn't our 1st or 2nd big man off the bench, but our 3rd behind Dan Cyrulik and often our old buddy Lyman DePriest when Calhoun would decide to go with a smaller line up.

Calhoun was forced to play Toraino in the Semifinal game because Rod Sellers twisted his knee two minutes into that game against Georgetown. The biggest play in the game was on a contested rebound with 52 seconds left to go between Toraino and Alonzo Mourning. We were up by 5 but Georgetown was in one of those sequences where they got several shots and it looked like we were starting to buckle at the knees a bit. The 2nd shot goes up from Dewayne Bryant, and he misses. But it looks for an instant like Mourning is going to get the rebound and have an easy put back... but NOOOO. Toraino grabbed the ball at the same time, and then proceeded to rip it away from Mourning with a monster-sized emphasis that caused the crowd to audibly gasp. I remember because I was there. It was freaking awesome to watch. And you could feel that at that moment Toraino had also grabbed the momentum of the game for the final time and put it in our favor... which is what happened.

Interestingly, if you go back and watch the replay of the game (Thank you @tcf15!), none other than Billy Packer who was doing color with Brent Musberger that day made that exact point about a minute later during a pause in the action as we were going to the free throw line.

No one - not even the most rose-colored glass fans of us - expected Toraino to come in and have the impact he did in that game against Alonzo Mourning, and then follow it up with another big performance in the championship game against the Syracuse front line including Derrick Coleman.

And although he had a few nice moments and games after that in the following 2 years before leaving the program prematurely at the beginning of his senior year (he only played in 1 game that last year after an apparent falling out with Calhoun), he never did anything in a Husky uniform that compared to that 2 game stretch at the 1990 BET. The fact is without him we do not win our 1st BET Title.

In that context it makes Toraino Walker's 1990 BET back-to-back performances the all-time "Above His Head" UConn performance.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Ricky Moore -- he was a 4 year starter when he played that half. Jeff Adrien -- all conference level player. Kemba Walker -- future player of the year (whatever the media says). I watched basically every UConn game that was on television in 1990, and when T came in against Georgetown I didn't remember him having played a single meaningful minute, or made any impact, all year.

There is only one answer, and that was it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Toraino is the clear answer for UConn just because he was a bit player prior. You could throw on Samuel's contributions to the '14 ship as well.

I think Taliek deserves some mention for his first half against GTech. While he did develop into a very solid PG, he was lambasted here (deservedly so at times) for failing to live up to his expectations. But that first half in the natty, he hit a long jumper, had an and-1 and controlled tempo. Huge performance to put the game out of reach.

We could also add Rash against UMass during that 34-9 debacle. Rash at that point was a highly touted freshmen with a mask who had not done much on the court. I think he hit 3 or 4 three's to get things rolling on like a 50-14 run to close it out.

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel all of a sudden becoming a star with back-to-back 20 pt games and then the great rebound in 2011 is pretty noteworthy as well. I had already more or less given up on him prior to that.

Reaction Score
I remember Stanley Robinson having some insane performances in the 2008 tourney on the way to the final four. I mean he was already a great player but he played out of his mind during that stretch and never really played up to that level again

Reaction Score
Gonna throw in Eric Cobb versus Syracuse last year.

13 points and 13 boards, including a 3 pointer. Sparked the run in the first half to give us the lead that we didn’t relinquish. He had a few good performances, but given the stage and circumstances I think he deserves some recognition. Thanks again, Eric!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
A bunch of you have brought up worthy candidates, but I have to agree with Waquoit on this. Toraino Walker's performance in the 1990 BET as an off-the-bench Freshman against 2 guys who turned out to be good NBA players and were already upper classmen in Alonzo Mourning and Derrick Coleman in back-to-back games is the winner here.

Why does Toraino's performance that weekend stand out above all others either before or since?

First of all, the context - He averaged 2.7 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for the entire year. For most of the year, he wasn't our 1st or 2nd big man off the bench, but our 3rd behind Dan Cyrulik and often our old buddy Lyman DePriest when Calhoun would decide to go with a smaller line up.

Calhoun was forced to play Toraino in the Semifinal game because Rod Sellers twisted his knee two minutes into that game against Georgetown. The biggest play in the game was on a contested rebound with 52 seconds left to go between Toraino and Alonzo Mourning. We were up by 5 but Georgetown was in one of those sequences where they got several shots and it looked like we were starting to buckle at the knees a bit. The 2nd shot goes up from Dewayne Bryant, and he misses. But it looks for an instant like Mourning is going to get the rebound and have an easy put back... but NOOOO. Toraino grabbed the ball at the same time, and then proceeded to rip it away from Mourning with a monster-sized emphasis that caused the crowd to audibly gasp. I remember because I was there. It was freaking awesome to watch. And you could feel that at that moment Toraino had also grabbed the momentum of the game for the final time and put it in our favor... which is what happened.

Interestingly, if you go back and watch the replay of the game (Thank you @tcf15!), none other than Billy Packer who was doing color with Brent Musberger that day made that exact point about a minute later during a pause in the action as we were going to the free throw line.

No one - not even the most rose-colored glass fans of us - expected Toraino to come in and have the impact he did in that game against Alonzo Mourning, and then follow it up with another big performance in the championship game against the Syracuse front line including Derrick Coleman.

And although he had a few nice moments and games after that in the following 2 years before leaving the program prematurely at the beginning of his senior year (he only played in 1 game that last year after an apparent falling out with Calhoun), he never did anything in a Husky uniform that compared to that 2 game stretch at the 1990 BET. The fact is without him we do not win our 1st BET Title.

In that context it makes Toraino Walker's 1990 BET back-to-back performances the all-time "Above His Head" UConn performance.
Another vote for Toraino in the BE tourney. He came out of nowhere. The entire team really overachieved that year. I was really young but went to several home games and was at opening night at Gampel. The crowds were insane and each time All-Americans like Mourning/Mutombo, Coleman/Owens/Thomson, etc came to town, the color commentators would slobber all over themselves talking about them rather than the run that our scrappy Huskies were on. Burrell had a decent NBA career and Smith and Tate played a few years in the pros, but no one saw that success coming and it was truly a collaborative effort taking down some real titans at the time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gonna throw in Eric Cobb versus Syracuse last year.

13 points and 13 boards, including a 3 pointer. Sparked the run in the first half to give us the lead that we didn’t relinquish. He had a few good performances, but given the stage and circumstances I think he deserves some recognition. Thanks again, Eric!

And you could make a case Cobb's performance hurt the development and playing time of Whaley since Cobb was the first person Hurley was looking towards when Carlton was ineffective last season. Cobb showed a few times early in the season he could compete against the higher level teams when Carlton struggled.
It wasn't until Cobb wasn't an option that Whaley started getting run last season.

Reaction Score
Not a huge one on the stat sheet but I distinctly remember Donnell Beverly’s game @Indiana in ‘08. This was right after Dyson and Wiggins got suspended so we were super thin.

Don Bev played like 20 minutes and locked up Eric Gordon the whole time.

Reaction Score
Great story. Made me want to look up the play. Here it is:

Ha that was great. Especially loved the old local news broadcasts at the end. Best part was Brent musbergers play call on that great 3 point layup by Chris smith “and uconn will put away Georgetown today!””” Great call

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom