All-Star Whaaaattttt??? | The Boneyard

All-Star Whaaaattttt???

Reaction Score
I turned on the all-star game for about 5 minutes in 3rd quarter and was just shocked at what I saw. There was absolutely no semblance of a game at all. Not even pretending to play defenses, ally oops, dunks, 40 foot heaves, not hustle, wow. It seemed like in the past, guys would at least pretend to try. This made first night at UCONN look like a quality event. I guess now the ProBowl has passed the NBA All-Star fiasco which is tough to do. Totally unwatchable.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
C'mon. Nothing is worse than the Pro Bowl.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
C'mon. Nothing is worse than the Pro Bowl.
Maybe the NHL All Star game????
But I agree with Husky1 - this year, for the 15 minutes of hell I endured, was the worst NBA All Star game ever. I tuned in to see Kemba and I Thomas - Kemba certainly didn't look like he was into it as much as the others. I Thomas is a joker so he went with it
Horrid display of clowning around - I really like Seth Curry but for him to continually hoist 1/2 court shots was beyond my interest.
Carmello showed why he is the DB that he is - why does such a talent allow himself to be so phony?

Reaction Score
It's hilarious how many people on here are shocked by the lack of defense. That's how All-Star Games go...

Reaction Score
I agree that all-star games have a historic lack of defense and intensity but did you watch this game?
It was just unbelievable - they were not even playing, sort of a cross between first night, Harlem globe
trotters and and one mix tour, but worse. It was not basketball. 193-185 or whatever it was - just
ridiculous. In the scheme of things, who cares, but don't think it has to be that bad.

Reaction Score
Yes, I watched the game, and yes, there was less defense than usual.

But I'll never get even slightly upset over anything relating to an ASG.

Reaction Score
Meh, I'd like to be at least entertained a little bit. They are capable of putting together 10-12 decent minutes of basketball in the 4th quarter, I don't think that is too much to ask.

Reaction Score
Maybe the NHL All Star game????
But I agree with Husky1 - this year, for the 15 minutes of hell I endured, was the worst NBA All Star game ever. I tuned in to see Kemba and I Thomas - Kemba certainly didn't look like he was into it as much as the others. I Thomas is a joker so he went with it
Horrid display of clowning around - I really like Seth Curry but for him to continually hoist 1/2 court shots was beyond my interest.
Carmello showed why he is the DB that he is - why does such a talent allow himself to be so phony?

So far in this post you referred to "Seth" Curry, and spelled Carmelo like the candy Carmello. Nice. And called him a DB? Why? He took like 4 shots last night...lol. Russell Westbrook took like 55....

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It'd be nice if it were more competitive but at least you get to see the world's best athletes show off their athleticism and shooting.

I agree it's gotten worse in terms of effort and sloppiness.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm a combination of both viewpoints: I never "cared" about the All Star Game, always loved the 3/Dunk but the whole weekend is meant to be fun.

But, I must also agree, there's a way to have an all star, light hearted, fun game while maintaining an actual game setting.

It's literally the most boring thing in the world now, it's like watching 10 random dudes shoot around in the gym doing trick shots, like our HS team does when they're allowed to free for all.

Certainly nothing fun to watch on television.

Reaction Score
I'm a combination of both viewpoints: I never "cared" about the All Star Game, always loved the 3/Dunk but the whole weekend is meant to be fun.

But, I must also agree, there's a way to have an all star, light hearted, fun game while maintaining an actual game setting.

It's literally the most boring thing in the world now, it's like watching 10 random dudes shoot around in the gym doing trick shots, like our HS team does when they're allowed to free for all.

I had fun watching the game.

Reaction Score
I think last year defense was worse.

But this game makes a mockery out of everything that basketball is supposed to stand for IMO.

Reaction Score
It was stupid. It was everyone looking out for one another pretty much so they could each get their highlights. There was definite moments of extreme skill and athleticism, but you would think you could get these guys to break a sweat to compliment their laughter. NBA regular season is all about celebrity and I find it annoying, but that's me. That said no one put jack else on TV at the time so I multi-tasked with some Kodi on my PC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember back in the day the East put out Clyde and four Celtics. Ran up the score in the time they were out there. That was an ASG.

Reaction Score
Yeah. It's a real joke the worlds greatest basketball players want to have a little fun during an all star game. Back to your chair you go!

Don't sugar coat that crap, it's a disgusting display of "basketball" by the worlds biggest ego maniacs for a night. Back to your pivot spot in the circle jerk!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
In this era of sports where everyone is your buddy... they lost whatever tiny amount of juice they ever had. Baseball's has been dead since inter league play. Hockey's all-star series is absurd.. plus they try to hard and are tone def to their fan base (The way they've completely f----ed up the John Scott situation is indicative of that). The Pro-bowl has never been good. I've always liked the skills competitions in them better than the actual games.

Reaction Score

This is fair. I think one way to accomplish this would be to figure out a way to get more fresh faces into these games every year - if it's a player's first or even second year playing, he'll be more likely to play hard to showcase his talent.

But I'm not sure how to achieve this without limiting ASG appearances (which I'm not really a fan of).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom