All or none. Why? | The Boneyard

All or none. Why?

Reaction Score
Why are there not seperate conferences for different sports? We play for example in a different league for Hockey. What is the reason that there are not seperate leagues for football and basketball, and other sports as well? I'm sure there are reasons, but I don't know what they are. Someone enlighten me please.

Reaction Score
Many conferences require their member schools to play sports in the conference if the conference has the sport. I know that the oBE constitution and bylaws required it. I haven't seen any C&BL for other conferences. Your conference doesn't sponsor a hockey league so you are free to go to another conference.

Reaction Score
The Old Big East had that....in one league...

A smorgasbord...These programs played football, these played basketball....

Reaction Score
Why are there not seperate conferences for different sports? We play for example in a different league for Hockey. What is the reason that there are not seperate leagues for football and basketball, and other sports as well? I'm sure there are reasons, but I don't know what they are. Someone enlighten me please.

Ice hockey is a different animal when it comes to the NCAA. The only catch all football/basketball conference in the NCAA that offers ice hockey is the Big 10, and that conference just started offering the men's ice hockey a few years ago. Because of this, ice hockey only conferences developed. Most other NCAA sports are offered by a school's primary conference affiliation, so individual conferences for most other individual sports pretty much had no reason to develop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Many conferences require their member schools to play sports in the conference if the conference has the sport. I know that the oBE constitution and bylaws required it. I haven't seen any C&BL for other conferences. Your conference doesn't sponsor a hockey league so you are free to go to another conference.

Isn't that why Denver plays in Hockey East? Or am I thinking of Denver playing in the Big East for Lacrosse? Or is my mind too frazzled from my wife being in Alaska for a week and leaving me at home with our four kids in the middle of nowhere California?

Reaction Score
It is a NCAA rule that if you belong to a Div 1 conference and you play a sport that your conference offers, you play it in that sport if at the same level.

If the Patriot sponsored FBS level football, Navy would have to play there. Since the Patriot is a FCS conference, Navy can be independent FBS or join a conference as football only, as they did with the AAC.

Is it a good rule? That can be debated, but it is more than just a conference rule, it’s an NCAA rule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is a NCAA rule that if you belong to a Div 1 conference and you play a sport that your conference offers, you play it in that sport if at the same level.
Notre Dame says hello ... and good luck convincing the USNA, Navy brass, Congressmen, et al on the what's good for one is N/A for our future officers of the U.S. Marines, U.S. Navy, etc.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame says hello ... and good luck convincing the USNA, Navy brass, Congressmen, et al on the what's good for one is N/A for our future officers of the U.S. Marines, U.S. Navy, etc.

As Zissou posted...you can go Indy..and park other sports in a conference......Notre Dame can not just move football to the B1G or another conference.

It used to be a lot more common...when programs like FSU, Miami and VT played football as independents. Now down to just a handful...BYU, Notre Dame, Mass...and Army, Navy.

The BYU AD is on record as saying that foootball independence for BYU was not sustainable in the long run...but has lately backed off that stance saying that it is better than beung in a G5.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom