All CT D-1 Hockey Tourney on the way | The Boneyard

All CT D-1 Hockey Tourney on the way

Reaction Score
Great news! Any thoughts on location? I know it's technically UConn home ice but XL seems like the perfect central location and has the size if we expect a big draw from the four schools.

Reaction Score
Great news! Any thoughts on location? I know it's technically UConn home ice but XL seems like the perfect central location and has the size if we expect a big draw from the four schools.
Right now the way the state budget is going the XL may not be open after this season.

Reaction Score

Ya have to think Webster Bank Arena in Bpt would be a very viable spot w/ 10k +/- for hockey. (I get that it is "home" rink for Sacred Heart but...). Ingalls and QU's TD Bank might be too small @ <4k.

Reaction Score
It'll probably get rotated between Hartford and Bridgeport.

Nutmeg Tournament, Tim Taylor Cup?

Reaction Score
It'll probably get rotated between Hartford and Bridgeport.

Nutmeg Tournament, Tim Taylor Cup?

Rotating it between Hartford and Bridgeport is a very good guess.

Reaction Score
Rotating it between Hartford and Bridgeport is a very good guess.
That's if the XL Center doesn't get shuttered due to budget cuts. That is a very real possibility right now like it or not. What UConn does with the hockey program if that happens is anyone's guess..but if I were DB I would start getting together with Beth Goetz and the Administrator in charge of men's/women's ice hockey and fast track plans for a 4500 seat on campus facility

Reaction Score
That's if the Men's UConn Hockey Program doesn't get shuttered due to budget cuts. That is a very real possibility right now like it or not. What UConn does with the hockey program is anyone's guess..but if I were DB I would start getting together with Malloy and the Administrator in charge of men's/women's ice hockey and fast track plans for the veto of the Republican budget and get the 115 for XL and no cuts to UConn

FIFY

Reaction Score
FIFY
LOL..If you think that $115 mil is gonna be kept in the state budget you are insane...the CRDA will be lucky to get the $1.6 million back to cover operating losses. UConn will be lucky to get all of the $$ back..and Hartford will be lucky it isn't in bankruptcy court. But keep banging that XL upgrade drum. As for DB and his issue...he will have to figure something out and figure it out quick.

Reaction Score

>>The schools prefer to play the event at a large, neutral site rather than campus venues at Yale and Quinnipiac. Sacred Heart uses Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport; UConn plays at the XL Center in Hartford. Bridgeport is the likely destination for the first year, though Charlie Dowd, senior vice president of operations at Webster Bank Arena, said Thursday nothing has been determined yet.<<

The Rent or Yale Bowl are available;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's if the XL Center doesn't get shuttered due to budget cuts. That is a very real possibility right now like it or not. What UConn does with the hockey program if that happens is anyone's guess..but if I were DB I would start getting together with Beth Goetz and the Administrator in charge of men's/women's ice hockey and fast track plans for a 4500 seat on campus facility

lol I know that is your wet dream scenario, but it's not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
lol I know that is your wet dream scenario, but it's not gonna happen.
Not my wet dream....the XL Center upgrade funding removal is real...be prepared. Benedict is going to have to do some serious spin control with Hockey East if it happens. Remember..Wolfpack can bolt after this year...as of now there is no money to help the city of Hartford stay out of bankruptcy or for the XL upgrade and to cover operating losses. If you think this isn't a possibility you need to start paying attention. The Republicans have made it VERY clear the state isn't in the business of owning a facility like the XL Center. Malloy has to play ball with everyone now due to people crossing party lines on the budget vote. You can go to all the CRDA meetings you want....the news out of Hartford to municipalities in this state is one of belt tightening with little to no funds on the way. If the state doesn't help Hartford stay solvent, they sure as hell won't be funding upgrading the XL Center or even keep it open if it needs $$ to cover operating expenses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then the tournament will be in Bridgeport?!?!? Woooooooooooooo!

Wolf Pack still moving to Bridgeport?

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you're just feigning ignorance, but if not then you have no grasp on what's taken place here. 40+ Million was just pumped into the facility, some of which is the new ice making and dasher system happening right now. The NCAA recently committed a tournament game to the arena for the first time since 1998. It's usage has been at an all time high since UConn Hockey has arrived and it's been rumored the Wolf Pack could actually end up staying put. As well as being the lifeblood of the city and region there's absolutely 0% they close the arena anytime within the next 5 years. Closing down the building, displacing UConn Hockey, not getting ROI from recent improvements, forgoing future events like NCAA and this hockey tourney while devastating the region/city to shave 1.5 million off a $20B annual budget won't happen.

Not going to go back-forth with you on this either. If you want to wager via paypal we can.

Reaction Score
Can we try to keep the convo geared toward Connecticut hockey finally having its own Beanpot and how awesome that is?
Or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom