Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, your First Team All America list would look like this:

Tyler Harvey, Eastern Washington
Zikiteran Woodley, Northwestern State
Denzel Livingston, Incarnate World
Tyler Haws, BYU
Damion Lee, Drexel

After all, those 5 were the top 5 scorers in the NCAA this season.
Fixed

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2015 AA team! Represented by the Colonial, the Southland, the Big Sky, and the WCC! Wow, it really was the year of the Low-major.

Reaction Score
To summarize: when your team sucks, you're not going to win individual honors. That's just the way it works.

Reaction Score
Seriously man, think before you post. There's a guy on Drexel in the top 5 scorers this season (which, by the way, is also made up of questionable-at-best AA candidates)

I'm not saying scoring is the only thing. Okafor, Kaminsky, Russell, and Grant weren't even top 40 scorers and they deserved to be All-Americans? What did Kevin Pangos accomplish? Overrated team. They beat a 15 seed, a 7 seed, and an 11 seed. Then lost by a good team by double digits. No way he should be an AA.

Reaction Score
What did Kevin Pangos accomplish? Overrated team. They beat a 15 seed, a 7 seed, and an 11 seed. Then lost by a good team by double digits. No way he should be an AA.
Since you won't be swayed by reality, I'll just remind you that Jimmer and McDermott beat Kemba and Bazz for POY. Life isn't fair; I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
My deal is this, if we're going to choose All-Americans exclusively from a pool of players who played on a good team, just say so. I'll be fine with that. But I'm pretty sure Stephen Curry was a first team all-American his junior year at Davidson when his team went to the NIT. At some point, I would like for, you know, the best basketball players to be acknowledged as the all-Americans.

There are good player on bad team guys and then there are really good players who just happen to play on bad teams. The fact that Boat shot 42% from three on a team where he was the first, second and third option for the better part of the year should tell you enough, but if you need any more proof that he is in the ladder category, look at last season when he was part of a team that won a championship.

I'm not saying Boat is Stephen Curry and this isn't anything to be mad about, it would just be cool if we would stop pretending that Kevin Pangos is a better basketball player than Boatright because of this award.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Not a big surprise that he wasn't on the list, but I don't get why people are trying to make a point that he doesn't deserve it. He does, he just didn't get it.
As a side note, I had no idea Arcidiacono was conference co-player of the year. Best team or not, that's a pretty weak choice.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My deal is this, if we're going to choose All-Americans exclusively from a pool of players who played on a good team, just say so. I'll be fine with that. But I'm pretty sure Stephen Curry was a first team all-American his junior year at Davidson when his team went to the NIT. At some point, I would like for, you know, the best basketball players to be acknowledged as the all-Americans.

There are good player on bad team guys and then there are really good players who just happen to play on bad teams. The fact that Boat shot 42% from three on a team where he was the first, second and third option for the better part of the year should tell you enough, but if you need any more proof that he is in the ladder category, look at last season when he was part of a team that won a championship.

I'm not saying Boat is Stephen Curry and this isn't anything to be mad about, it would just be cool if we would stop pretending that Kevin Pangos is a better basketball player than Boatright because of this award.
Curry was conference Player of the Year in 2009 and therefore eligible. This not a hard concept to grasp.

Reaction Score
Curry was conference Player of the Year in 2009 and therefore eligible. This not a hard concept to grasp.

He wasn't "ineligible" to be an All-American. He didn't get enough votes.

Reaction Score
Conference player of the year makes him eligible for All-American honorable mention if he doesn't get votes any to be an All-American. So, had Boatright been AAC player of the year and not received any votes for the AA team, he would've been automatically listed as an AA HM. Without the AAC POTY, he would need at least two AA votes to be considered eligible for AA HM, but he only received one.

For instance, Sean Kilpatrick and Russ Smith made some 1st Team AA lists last year even though Shabazz won the AAC POTY.

So, in Curry's case, even if he didn't win CPOTY, if he had enough votes for 1st Team AA, he would have made it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He wasn't "ineligible" to be an All-American. He didn't get enough votes.

Which, by literal definition of the word, "ineligible," makes him ineligible. Boatright did not fulfill the prescribed criteria.

Inyatkin said it best:
...I don't get why people are trying to make a point that he doesn't deserve it. He does, he just didn't get it.

Reaction Score
You're saying he was ineligible to receive AA votes... because he didn't receive AA votes.

Even though he did get an AA vote.

So...

Reaction Score

Which, by literal definition of the word, "ineligible," makes him ineligible. Boatright did not fulfill the prescribed criteria.

Inyatkin said it best:

Wow, you write it's not a hard concept to grasp, yet you aren't even close to understanding how it works.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Conference player of the year makes him eligible for All-American honorable mention if he doesn't get votes any to be an All-American. So, had Boatright been AAC player of the year and not received any votes for the AA team, he would've been automatically listed as an AA HM. Without the AAC POTY, he would need at least two AA votes to be considered eligible for AA HM, but he only received one.

For instance, Sean Kilpatrick and Russ Smith made some 1st Team AA lists last year even though Shabazz won the AAC POTY.

So, in Curry's case, even if he didn't win CPOTY, if he had enough votes for 1st Team AA, he would have made it.

I'm sure those who don't understand thank you for your explanation, but don't take my comments out of context.

Champs was referring to Curry's participation on an NIT team (i.e. good player on a mediocre team), but still making All-American. Regardless of the votes, Curry was eligible for honorable mention because he was conference POY. It just so happened he also had the votes to giving him 1st team honors.

Reaction Score
For all of Boat's strengths, he could not lift his team in to the top of the AAC or the NCAA tourney. It's not unfair to ask how such a great talent could not lead his team past the likes of Houston, Temple, Memphis, Yale, ..... I'll miss him, but if you had told me before the season we'd lost at home in R1 of NIT, I would have assumed major injuries impacted team.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're saying he was ineligible to receive AA votes... because he didn't receive AA votes.

Even though he did get an AA vote.

So...
No. I'm saying he is not an All American Honorable Mention because he only received one vote. He needed to be voted POY or get 2 votes.

Reaction Score
No. I'm saying he is not an All American Honorable Mention because he only received one vote. He needed to be voted POY or get 2 votes.

We all read the second post. People are complaining that he didn't get more votes.

For which he was perfectly eligible.

Husky25

Reaction Score
We all read the second post. People are complaining that he didn't get more votes.

For which he was perfectly eligible.

I never said (wrote) he wasn't eligible to receive votes. I never even implied it. I wrote that because he was neither AAC POY, nor received enough votes, he was ineligible for the All-American Honorable Mention list.

The original poster asked why Boatright did not get an honorable mention. He did not meet the criteria and therefore was ineligible.

Should he have been named POY? There's a case
Should he have received more votes? Potentially.

Voters certainly do not know what is going on all over the country. Voters absolutely used highlight shows, polls, and won/loss records to assist them and when they look at UConn. They see stats, but then they see.

They see 20-15 (17-14 entering the post season)
They see NIT
They see a team with a solid grip on the 4 seed in a not-so-highly regarded conference, who had a shot at the 3 seed, but ended up losing their final 2 regular season games and fall to 6.

Reaction Score
He was eligible to be an Honorable Mention. Basically everyone was. He didn't get an Honorable Mention because he didn't get enough votes. It's not that difficult to use words by their definition.

Reaction Score
I never said (wrote) he wasn't eligible to receive votes. I never even implied it. I wrote that because he was neither AAC POY, nor received enough votes, he was ineligible for the All-American Honorable Mention list.

The original poster asked why Boatright did not get an honorable mention. He did not meet the criteria and therefore was ineligible.

Should he have been named POY? There's a case
Should he have received more votes? Potentially.

Voters certainly do not know what is going on all over the country. Voters absolutely used highlight shows, polls, and won/loss records to assist them and when they look at UConn. They see stats, but then they see.

They see 20-15 (17-14 entering the post season)
They see NIT
They see a team with a solid grip on the 4 seed in a not-so-highly regarded conference, who had a shot at the 3 seed, but ended up losing their final 2 regular season games and fall to 6.

I can't believe that you'd rather people think you don't know what "eligible" means that just admit you didn't understand the rule before.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I can't believe that you'd rather people think you don't know what "eligible" means that just admit you didn't understand the rule before.

That's not what I said, but your comprehension does not move the needle for me so...whatever...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's not what I said, but your comprehension does not move the needle for me so...whatever...:rolleyes:

Oh, I know it's not what you said, but it's really quite obvious to everyone here that you're full of it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Whatever makes you feel more superior...

Reaction Score

Couldn't have said it better myself. Just because you're on a good team doesn't mean you should be an All-American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom