All ACC Elite Eight equals ratings poison | The Boneyard

All ACC Elite Eight equals ratings poison

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
UNC-Notre Dame was down 33% from last year. Syracuse-Virginia was down 36%.

Worst ratings for the night since 1998.

To be fair - they moved the games later this year on Sunday, inexplicably. Also, it was Easter.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Fishy you must celebrate Easter alone or something. Tip-offs were during travel time.

In reality the time move was idiotic by TBS/CBS. Akin to NYE CFB idea.

Whoever is in charge of these decisions..

Reaction Score
I didn't realize that televisions don't work on Easter.

To be fair - they moved the games later this year on Sunday, inexplicably. Also, it was Easter.

Actually here is the actually trophy for the Elite Eight.

13981.jpg

Reaction Score
They also were on TBS on the weekend when they easily could have been on CBS. That was a dumb move too. Having the final four and championship on TBS is another dumb ratings move.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
They also were on TBS on the weekend when they easily could have been on CBS. That was a dumb move too. Having the final four and championship on TBS is another dumb ratings move.

It's not like they really have a choice. They're contractually obligated to be on TBS due to the deal CBS and TBS partnered to sign a few years ago.

Reaction Score

It would be pretty dumb of TBS to pay all that money to do Elite 8 and Final Four games and then let CBS do them

Reaction Score
Tip off times were dumb.

Having on TBS instead of CBS was dumb.

But for 's sake it's the Elite Eight. You are looking at a 1/3 drop off in ratings from the previous year, that has to be unprecedented for what is probably the second biggest sporting televised sporting event of the year (The NCAA Tournament as a whole not the Elite Eight).

Reaction Score
The fact that the games featured 4 opponents from the same conference didn't do the ratings any favors either. No B1G, PAC, or SEC Land Representation. We aren't in the golden age of college basketball where legit stars on these teams could grab the non basketball fan's attention. I bet the average non affiliated sports fan couldn't name 1 player on any of the teams that played last night.

The one and done phenomenon has robbed the game of its great teams. It's taken from us the truly special teams like The 80's Heels, Hoyas, and Hoosiers. 90's Blue Devils, Rebs, and Wolverines. Teams that had must watch stars. Amazingly one of OU, Nova, UNC, or Syracuse is going to win the National Title. Sure they will have won the tournament, but I'm hard pressed to remember a less impressive potential champion. I hope Nova or OU win, but ultimately I don't really care. With 99% of people's brackets busted, I bet much of the general public feels the same.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tip off times were dumb.

Having on TBS instead of CBS was dumb.

But for 's sake it's the Elite Eight. You are looking at a 1/3 drop off in ratings from the previous year, that has to be unprecedented for what is probably the second biggest sporting televised sporting event of the year (The NCAA Tournament as a whole not the Elite Eight).
Clearly, Syracuse is bad for college basketball.

Reaction Score

Some really stupid decisions this year for college sports tv - example is above and the fools who moved the College football playoff to New Year's Eve - one of the worst decisions since the Germans opened up the second front in World War II.

Reaction Score
I personally didn't watch the ACC games for the very reason mentioned - they were all from the same conference. I could have watched them. I knew when they were on. I knew what channel they were on. I just had no interest in watching teams from the same conference play each other in the tournament. I probably would have watched them if they were teams that never play each other or if they were B1G teams playing each other, but I had no interest in watching ACC teams play each other again.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
doesn't CBS own TBS?
No. CBS=Viacom and TBS=Turner/TimeWarner

The agreement is they rotate which networks have which games/rounds in any given year.

Reaction Score
No. CBS=Viacom and TBS=Turner/TimeWarner

The agreement is they rotate which networks have which games/rounds in any given year.
you're right. I meant to say that USA network but that isn't right either (NBC).

Reaction Score
The dunderheads put four ACC schools together playing each other...

Who wants to watch the third replay of Notre Dame vs North Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom