All about 2021 UCONN bound Caroline Ducharme | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All about 2021 UCONN bound Caroline Ducharme

Reaction Score
I know we are all starved for sports stories but all these, once in a lifetime scenarios (i.e. there was a team with no one over 6' tall that won in 1947 ;) ) is an interesting waste of time. Geno is working on building a balanced team, one that through the years has a proven formula for a National Championship.

Reaction Score
I wish everyone would stop forgetting about Aubrey. If anyone is going to drive the opponents offense / defense crazy it's her! If she is able to control herself more like MoJeff finally did, she will be an absolute terror! :D
Not just Aubrey but Edwards and Mir as well. With what we have and what is coming we could create some very interesting small ball lineups, pressing and fast-breaking lineups, 4 three point shooter lineups etc. It is exciting that Geno will have many options for situational substitutions based on need.

In general, however, going with a much bigger or much smaller lineup tends to help the offenses on both sides. Bigs can't keep up with the smalls around the perimeter, or on drives to the basket, and the smalls are posted up over and over. Matching size with your opponents is more of a defensive strategy.

We might be able to do small ball better than most because of three factors. Some of our three point shooters are tall enough and talented enough to hold their own on the boards against other team's PF. Anna, Saylor and Caroline fit that category and Edwards looks to have plenty of size and ability at the 4 but may also have pretty good perimeter and three point skills.

Second a very good center who can defend the paint and clear the defensive boards makes it easier to go with this strategy. Ono and Deberry would seem to fit that role, with a maybe on Piath, possibly in an undersized version with Edwards in that role.

And third whoever is our undersized PF they need to be able to hang in there on the defensive end against bigger players. This might not be that much of a problem because not too many college teams have two good post up players in the game at the same time. Ono or later Deberry can take the toughest low post assignment, and our smaller PF would take the lessor threat.

Finally it is comforting that if we need rebounding and or defense at PF that Edwards and Griffin can probably provide that and maybe Mir as well. Maybe for another post or thread, but you could have many different combinations so let me throw out a few scenarios.

End of games or quarters situations.
1. Your possession need a three- Paige, CW, Anna, Westbrook, Edwards
2. Your position looking for a two-Paige, CW, Westbrook, Griffin (off reb), Edwards
3. On defense need a stop- Nika, Westbrook, Mir, Griffin, Ono
4. Opponent needs to foul you to stop clock- Paige, CW, Anna, Westbrook, Edwards
And a few more scenarios.
5. Fastbreak lineup- Nika, Paige, Anna, Griffin, Edwards
6. Pressing lineup- Nika, Paige, Westbrook, Griffin, Ono
7. Fastbreak and Pressing- Nika, Paige, Westbrook, Anna, Griffin
8. Rebounds- Paige, Mir, Griffin, Edwards, Ono

The first four are one possession scenarios, but the others have to take both sides of the ball into account while trying to get the desired trait. Most probably figure Paige into many scenarios, but I probably have higher expectations for Nika and Edwards than many posters.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight, @Big Mick puts out a nice post on Caroline Ducharme and once again posters go negative and highjack the thread onto a tangential path...:confused:

I agree with @MilfordHusky that Caroline is significantly bigger than the 5'10" listed and she could be a tough player to guard as she can stretch the court with all our other bigger guards. It is always speculation to see whether a player can add muscle yet stay flexible and quick when developing so seeing her and Saylor is a curiosity to me. KLS did get stronger and evolve so we know it can happen. I also do find it curious how radically different the rating agencies start to diverge after the top 10. I doubt it could be due to various shoe affiliations or coaches within their circles as that would not be a fair and open/honest assessment would it??? ;)

I would like to see some defensive highlights with Caroline Ducharme to see what options she could bring...

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight, @Big Mick puts out a nice post on Caroline Ducharme and once again posters go negative and highjack the thread onto a tangential path...:confused:

I agree with @MilfordHusky that Caroline is significantly bigger than the 5'10" listed and she could be a tough player to guard as she can stretch the court with all our other bigger guards. It is always speculation to see whether a player can add muscle yet stay flexible and quick when developing so seeing her and Saylor is a curiosity to me. KLS did get stronger and evolve so we know it can happen. I also do find it curious how radically different the rating agencies start to diverge after the top 10. I doubt it could be due to various shoe affiliations or coaches within their circles as that would not be a fair and open/honest assessment would it??? ;)

I would like to see some defensive highlights with Caroline Ducharme to see what options she could bring...
From what I have seen, I think Saylor is already ahead of KLS in post up abilities. It really took KLS 3 years to embrace that part of the game. Saylor does it as a high schooler since she is the everything on her team. I don't think it is a coincidence that Saylor and Ducharme are big guards who do everything 1-5 for their teams showing great flexibility. I think that can hamper their ratings up against other players who are more focused in the position they play which also focuses stats in certain areas. However it gets Geno's attention and that is all that matters.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...I would like to see some defensive highlights with Caroline Ducharme to see what options she could bring...

Nice Touch there @DefenseBB

- Caroline Doty = Chris Dailey
- CD2 = Caroline Doty
- Crystal Dangerfield = Christyn Williams

And, now:
- Caroline Ducharme = Caroline Ducharme

Greaaat Stuff!

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
OOOOOOOOPS!

AAGH, Jeez, who was Crystal Dangerfield?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
From what I have seen, I think Saylor is already ahead of KLS in post up abilities. It really took KLS 3 years to embrace that part of the game. Saylor does it as a high schooler since she is the everything on her team. I don't think it is a coincidence that Saylor and Ducharme are big guards who do everything 1-5 for their teams showing great flexibility. I think that can hamper their ratings up against other players who are more focused in the position they play which also focuses stats in certain areas. However it gets Geno's attention and that is all that matters.
Getting Geno's attention is not all that matters. Getting my attention matters.:)

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
It's official then:

- Caroline Doty = Chris Dailey
- CD2 = Caroline Doty
- Crystal Dangerfield = Crystal Dangerfield
- Caroline Ducharme = Caroline Ducharme

Can't believe that I "somehow" got CD from Christyn Williams Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online